• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

F-body fuel pump..

nmskull66

Blowing up one 3800 at a time
May 14, 2009
Elmwood Park
So my fuel pump took a shit on me today. Is it possible to drop the tank without having to remove the diff? Also my friend was telling me that some people cut access panels somewhere in the car (like on grand prix's that are in the trunk) but where do you cut? Last question.. Going to go with a better pump due to future plans for this car but my buddy told me to go with a automotive 340. Would that fit into a v6 sending unit ( not sure if it would be any different than a v8 unit?)

Thanks in advance!

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
99+ f body fuel pump/ tank access door - LS2 Forums

the canister looks about the same as mine if not exactly the same if it is then yes the aromotive will fit you just have to bend the filter on the end of it up of get a smaller one from the parts store, i used that pump in my grand prix and just bent the filter in an upward position to make it fit in there

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
I wouldnt. Way easier to cut a hole, plus in the future you just open a hatch to work on the fuel pump. Win win

Ditto. I put the access door in my car. Makes things MUCH easier to get to. I used a piece of sheet aluminum to cover the hole secured with screws. A bit of RTV between the two for an air tight seal, and done.

Alacran

GM fanatic
Jan 18, 2009
Chicago
I'd just drop the tank. Seen too many stories of people that ended up cutting through the fuel lines cutting the access hole. Plus its only something that is done once maybe twice in the cars life so I see no point in cutting it just to save a few minutes.

Thats where i was coming from. switching to a centrifugal style pump and not a vane style would be more robust and you may never have to replace it again.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info