E92 M3 runs 11s with just bolt ons...

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
I trapped 129.95 with a 2.1x 60'... you think your trap is going to improve that much by getting out of the hole quicker... by what, 10mph? :eek4:

If you were in the car with me, you'd understand. Having to let off the gas completely off the line twice, and once into 2nd gear will destroy trap times. Did I not pull you on the highway? And what were you trapping NA?

Nealoc187

slow
Jul 24, 2008
DG, IL
Real Name
Neal
What do E92 M3s trap stock?

Those split times are weird btw, almost 94 in the 1/8 is REALLY fast for a car trapping 118.x in the 1/4. Really fast. Those are traps I'd expect to see more likely from a car that has a ton of low end grunt and then crappy top end, exactly the opposite of the M3.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
What do E92 M3s trap stock?

Those split times are weird btw, almost 94 in the 1/8 is REALLY fast for a car trapping 118.x in the 1/4. Really fast. Those are traps I'd expect to see more likely from a car that has a ton of low end grunt and then crappy top end, exactly the opposite of the M3.

This engine reaches peak torque at about 3000 rpm, it actually has a ton of low end power. And they trap about 111 to 115 stock on a good run.

Nealoc187

slow
Jul 24, 2008
DG, IL
Real Name
Neal
I just looked at a few stock dynos and it looks like it's flat as a table from about 3k to 7k. The point I was making is that the numbers on that slip look like those from a car that falls on it's face after peaking early, which is not what the M3 does. Unless there is some other factor at work here such as a shift being forced right around the 1/4 mile trap, which could make that trap look artificially low, but I doubt that's happening here because if that were the case that means that this car is really capable of even more through the traps, like 120+. Is there a shift that happens around 120mph ricky?

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
I just looked at a few stock dynos and it looks like it's flat as a table from about 3k to 7k. The point I was making is that the numbers on that slip look like those from a car that falls on it's face after peaking early, which is not what the M3 does. Unless there is some other factor at work here such as a shift being forced right around the 1/4 mile trap, which could make that trap look artificially low, but I doubt that's happening here because if that were the case that means that this car is really capable of even more through the traps, like 120+. Is there a shift that happens around 120mph ricky?

I dunno, this is a DCT with 7 gears. My car shifts into 4th at 110 and 5th at something like 130-140. The DCT might have another shift at 120 though, the gears are much different.

Nealoc187

slow
Jul 24, 2008
DG, IL
Real Name
Neal
LOL if you think a better 60 will get you a better trap.

lol if you think that a totally botched run with a jacked up 60' will not yield a sub-par trap speed, and that said trap speed would not be drastically improved with a clean launch.

I'm not saying I believe ricky's car is capable of 118mph through the traps, but if his run really was as jacked up as he says it was, it would no doubt trap significantly higher without him having to let off the gas and wheelhopping to hell and back.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
lol if you think that a totally botched run with a jacked up 60' will not yield a sub-par trap speed, and that said trap speed would not be drastically improved with a clean launch.

I'm not saying I believe ricky's car is capable of 118mph through the traps, but if his run really was as jacked up as he says it was, it would no doubt trap significantly higher without him having to let off the gas and wheelhopping to hell and back.

The guy said it was like a perfect day out there, he was also running 95 octane. On a perfect day, with nittos and a good launch I really think the car has a 118 trap in it. That's only 3 mph more than what some people get in their stock cars.

Nealoc187

slow
Jul 24, 2008
DG, IL
Real Name
Neal
If people really have trapped 115 stock then I think 118 is definitely possible with those mods. That's not to say that everyone could trap 118mph with those mods though. If someone's not a good enough driver and at the track on a day with good enough air to trap 115 stock, you probably aren't going to trap 118 with those mods.

Nealoc187

slow
Jul 24, 2008
DG, IL
Real Name
Neal
If you cant shift your car for shit, yeah, I can see trap going down. If you got a 2.5 60 foot and drove the same the entire way, you should see a higher trap.

Then again, drag racing a manual seems so :s00ls: to me. Just my opinion.

Should see a higher trap on which run, a clean run or a 2.5 60' run? You're not one of those guys who buys in to that old wives tale that spinning your tires more means higher traps, are you?

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
If you cant shift your car for shit, yeah, I can see trap going down. If you got a 2.5 60 foot and drove the same the entire way, you should see a higher trap.

Then again, drag racing a manual seems so :s00ls: to me. Just my opinion.

Are you saying if you get a 2.5 60 foot you should see a higher trap than if you got a good launch?

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Spinning the tires will sometimes net a better trap speed, IN AN AUTO. Not going to happen in a stick car will the engine will bog, or where you have to let off the gas etc.

Once again, I will agree.

It is also not a wives tail. Ill look for my 15.2 @99MPH run then show you my 13.9@96 run. Hell, I can show you a 13.9@94 MPH cause I left the shifter in 2 while doing my burnout. :roflpicard:

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
You've never had a good run against me on my 475whp tune. The times we ran in the past I was on the 430whp "conservative" tune.

That's what I figured.... You guys all think Jason's car is slow, hell, even Jasno does! It's pretty stout. If I remember correctly Jon only had him by a car or 2 from a roll race when Jason had the 430rwhp tune. I'd love to see the race now.

Nealoc187

slow
Jul 24, 2008
DG, IL
Real Name
Neal
Showing me 3 runs when I've got about 540 timeslips that say it is an old wives tale, not to mention the experience of all the guys I go to the track with, is not going to do much to change the facts.

The only time it holds true is when comparing a bogged run to a run with wheelspin. Clean run vs wheelspin, you're going to trap higher on average with the clean runs. Ask anyone with extensive drag racing experience.

Trap speed is a result of average acceleration over a given distance, since distance is the constant in drag racing. If you accelerate at X rate for 1320 feet, you're going to be going faster at the end than you would be if you accelerate at X rate for only say 1260 feet (such as if you are spinning your tires for the first 60' of the run, during which time you are accelerating at some slower rate). Physics and experience both say it it's an old wives tale.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info