Don't sink my battleship! *member's ride*

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I'm trying to be not in a rush to get it in the water, I'll be able to use this thing pretty well into the fall. a couple extra weeks of boating missed in the beginning of the season is worth getting everything squared away

It is still early. Last weekends weather was a tease. It useually doesen't get that nice till like mid May.

MrMezger996

Formerly CobraSki
TCG Premium
Jun 12, 2015
Hoffman Estates
Also. I don't hate the name of the boat *change of plans* but the vinyl is peeling off and really should be replaced. Kind of thinking i may change it.

Offshore drilling II ?

Was just saying "Love the name of the boat"!! definitely keep it!! Congrats on the purchase, where you boating at?

EDIT: sorry i read you boat out on the chain.....

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Headed out to the marina early this morning to work on the boat. I took a nice stiff paint scraper to the bottom paint and knocked off all the loose flakes and growth on it. It came off surprisingly easy. Hit it with an 80 grit 7" DA sander and knocked all the heavily built up spots down and roughed the rest of the paint up. Wiped it all down with acetone then laid my masking on the boot strip. I brush painted around everything on the transom then rolled out the rest of the hull. Used about half a gallon and got two coats on. It turned out quite well. The boat looks SO much better already. There was blue, black, grey and red bottom paint in various layers on this thing.
7UNplZy.jpg

Also took some ridlyme to the outdrive and trim tabs, knocked off all the scaling and calcium. Put some non-skid tape on the boarding ladder rungs so i don't have to worry about busting my shit climbing in and out. Grabbed a new prop for the boat as well. I have to swipe a 1 7/16" socket to get the old prop off. I didnt have one at home. After that, the boat is ready for the water. She still needs an oil change but that can be done when the boat is wet.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
13094386_10156869160160646_60365944580447103_n.jpg

picked this guy up on CL tonight for $30

1928 singer model 66. it needs a couple parts and a good cleaning. She's good to go other than that. These old machines are all steel and tough enough to do boat upholstery with. Otherwise, you're stuck spending big bucks on an industrial machine thats sturdy enough.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Updates from today.

Oil changed, new prop on the boat, opened up a giant can of worms getting into the wiring and interior.

SZT7DKI.jpg

detailer got the hull buffed from the rub rail to the water line, it looks worlds better than it did. he left half my canvas unbuttoned, wax and compound all over the bottom paint and canvas :picard: Other than that I have no complaints. Haven't paid the dude yet, i didnt think he did the work even. I expected him to give me a call when he was done.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
The wiring in this thing is insanely horrible. I hate DIYers. It was seriously an insurance claim waiting to happen. I spent about 5 hours and corrected it all. Removed a good 150-200' worth of dog shit hack job wiring.

Some stuff I found: 120v wiring run throughout the boat with green extension cord. No wire nuts used on connections, twisted together, electrical taped and wedged behind panels. breakers double and triple tapped, breakers tapped from the line side, none of it grounded which is a HUGE deal on a boat. Speaker wire used to make connections between stuff, 12v wiring twisted together and just left there, splices upon splices upon splices, wires cut and abandoned without the ends protected (random 6ga wire cut with no rhyme or reason behind a seat panel??), shit hardwired to the battery that shouldn't be. another no-no on a boat. The only thing allowed to be upstream of a battery switch is a bilge pump.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
The clusterfuck:

hYszNSe.jpg

it starts here with this goofy ass "generator". This thing senses load, runs a motor off of 12V DC to spin another rotor that generates 120v. Overly complicated way to make electricity with electricity. Inverter technology back when was probably garbage though. 12/3 green extension cord for wiring, tied a knot in it so it wouldn't pull out of the box. At least the guy used wire nuts.

VNBJuBU.jpg

how all the connections in the wire were made for the makeshift 120v. Twist wires together and wrap the whole fucking thing in electrical tape. seems legit. god forbid they short and theres absolutely zero circuit protection upstream. instant fire, this was buried under the rear berth cushions.

QyOz1he.jpg

drywall remodel boxes with extension cord leads. yay. also another green extension cord ran over here carrying 12v to power the inverter? no idea what the fuck this guy is doing. ripped all this shit out.

hI4uKit.jpg

oh hey mr. random speaker wires used as power wires, more green extension cords, random 4" hole saw holes in the floor and all the wire sitting in a standing puddle of water(thats another problem)

kuHh6OF.jpg

extension cords wired in behind the main panel

eCYzFCS.jpg

fuse block under the dash, everything double and triple tapped onto fuses. 5000' of transducer wire jammed into the panel. Speaker wire spliced to a yellow #14 then spliced to a red #14 for the VHF. fish finder wiring. yanked all that crap out and threw it away. it was all outdated and useless.

Tc7XCLR.jpg

another pile of 6" worth of wire spliced together and a good ol' twist and tape in here.

Xnu39je.jpg

i pulled the dash gauge panel off to get better access to a few things and was greeted by these guys. pair of wires twisted together and bent so the wouldn't touch. ran out of tape i guess. this was backlighting for the compass. I cut it back and took the wires out that were feeding it. I'll come back with the proper connections and wire to get the backlighting installed for the compass another time.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
The interior on the boat is 50% trashed. Headliner is horribly water stained and all the removable panels are totally rotted out. The walls are cleanable, vinyl. headliner is made of a carpet like material, not even worth trying to salvage. everything is covered in black mold.

uNP2u96.jpg

This is directly below the helm in the rear berth. directly below this is the where the picture from the previous post with the wires sitting in water.

BJ0OrYw.jpg

and directly above that headliner panel is this. This leads to the fresh air vents on the side of the boat for the engine bay. 4, 4" holes and only one of them had a vent hose attached. I don't know if it came from the factory like this or not. the wood underneath this was all hacked open. Previous owner likely cut it open to run the wiring for the windlass. Otherwise, it would have been totally closed and drained all the water to the bilge. Soooo, any time the wind blows and its raining, water comes in the side vents, drips down through these holes into the cabin on the headliner. all the cushions were soaking wet in the bed. I took the covers off and brought them home to wash, left the cushions out in the cabin to air dry.

there were a couple of snap on engine vent covers for the side of the boat, sitting in a storage compartment in the cabin. I put those on before i left to keep water from ruining the party even more. I need to get a dehumidifier in the boat ASAP.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
McNSEQq.jpg

the black hose is supposed to go to the gutter around the engine room hatch and drain out the transom. Instead its attached to this other hose and run into the cabin randomly to where the water heater is at and laying there open ended. It's wet in there too. I'm sure from water splashing against the transom and running down the hose to where it terminates. They probably hooked up the fresh water pump to it to winterize the boat without having to drag a hose into the cabin. lazy hack fucks.

did i mention i hate DIYers yet?

edit: ooh ooh another one. Genius put hardwood floors in the cabin sole. its all swollen and buckling from the moisture. but wait, the access hatch for the shower/sink drain box/pump is underneath the god damn flooring.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
As the boat sits, it's usable without fear of starting on fire. I want to buy the rest of the stuff to put in a decent stereo but my wallet is about to be sucked dry getting these water issues taken care of.

My plan of attack:
1. stop the water intrusion. Im going to hook up ducting to the three vent holes pictured above and plumb them to the engine room where they should go. this should solve the water problem for the most part. I have to remember to keep the canvas covers on the ports outside too.

2. remove all the windows and hatches on the boat and re-bed the glass. there's moisture in the headliner around all the windows on the boat. currently layer upon layer of caulk smeared around the seams which does nothing. thanks to capillary attraction, any minute crack draws in water.

3. pull the headliner out of the ENTIRE boat. its trashed. I'm going to live with it looking like garbage for the time being.

4. steam clean as much as i can and get the mold out of everywhere. I probably have legionnaires disease already between this boat and being around cooling towers at work all the time.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info