💬 OT Does anyone else hope malls make a comeback?

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
I don't think any distribution centers (or anything industrial) being put there. Zoning wouldn't permit it. That's all surrounded by residential homes and the only access is off Schick, which you can bet residents would raise holy hell if industrial traffic starts becoming the norm on that section. It will probably just become another sub-division, maybe golf course centric.

according to this, a developer bought the property and is revamping the hotel and converting course into a separate 18 hole and 9 hole par3, and driving range.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Stratford? Or Hawthorne?

Nothing has been demo'd at Stratford yet. Woodmans has a store attached to it and of course the outer ring now has developed with Medical offices (Central DuPage Hospital/NW Medicine), office buildings and homes on the SE corner, Texas Roadhouse, etc...

The last time I actually drove to check out the alma mater (sears), the loading dock area was submerged in nasty ass stagnant water.
hawthorne, in vernon hills

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
This is the plan with Spring Hill too. They have already started the planning to tear it down. I see a lot of equipment already being set up. It will be interesting to see where it goes.
If I remember correctly, I think West Dundee mentioned they want to tear it down and make it luxury apartments or something with a few retail shops. Kind of like the luxury apartments by sushi station in Elgin. Only thing being left alone is Kohls and the movie theater.

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
We're at a point where a lot of malls are not needed, it's simple. Look at how our buying habits have changed. I have neighbors who get all of their houseware stuff from online. I think this only continues, my kids will be buying sheets online and the idea of going to the store is inefficient to them.

The only things I'm going to mall for is clothes and shoes. Even then I have bought both online and the younger set is going to do that.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
If I remember correctly, I think West Dundee mentioned they want to tear it down and make it luxury apartments or something with a few retail shops. Kind of like the luxury apartments by sushi station in Elgin. Only thing being left alone is Kohls and the movie theater.
Kohl's and the theater are the only businesses still open, everyone else was evicted. Even the Chinese buffet and Enterprise which always did good business.

I heard they are looking to tear down at least part of it. They want to build store fronts, apartments and restaurants. Last I heard they wanted to use some of the existing structure of the main part of the mall but the anchor stores would all be coming down. Something like the original plan for the theater area.

1711742674792.png

1711742697420.png

Reactions: importcrew

BOTTLEFED

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 7, 2015
according to this, a developer bought the property and is revamping the hotel and converting course into a separate 18 hole and 9 hole par3, and driving range.

They better get working on this place if they want to open it this year just drove by it a little while ago and there isn't jack shit going on lol.

Shells_04

TCG Elite Member
Apr 7, 2012
Elgin, Il
Kohl's and the theater are the only businesses still open, everyone else was evicted. Even the Chinese buffet and Enterprise which always did good business.

I heard they are looking to tear down at least part of it. They want to build store fronts, apartments and restaurants. Last I heard they wanted to use some of the existing structure of the main part of the mall but the anchor stores would all be coming down. Something like the original plan for the theater area.

View attachment 202392

View attachment 202393
Seems a little strange that they wanna tear down the mall or part of it to create a new mall (shopping center and entertainment center). I grew up going to spring hill mall. It sucks that malls have mostly gone away. There was something fun about wandering around looking for whatever it might be; a new shirt, cd or something. Plus the mall was a good central hang out spot for those of us who had parents that didn’t want their kids and kids friends hanging around the house.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I didn't necessarily want to start a thread because it probably means nothing to most, but anyone driving by the Sears HQ on 90, Beverly or 72, will start to see it slowly coming down as they demolish it for a new data center for the new owners. They are going to demolish it from west to east, so the building closest to Beverly (I can't remember if we called if the F or G building as I got over there so rarely and half of it was closed off anyway), will be first.

The end of the Empire is complete.

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Not at all. It is actually hard. The company was run in to the ground and all I (well, our group) had to do was deliver bad news, but the people, the memories, the good times in that building are what made it tolerable. It was 10.5 years in that complex. So it does pain me.

I would've loved had they opened the place up to former employees and let us take one last tour. When I went and turned in my computers when I moved on, I went back to my cube to gather my belongings and it was like the pictures of Chernobyl where time just stopped and people up and ran.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
And.... closed for good:

The stores were dark and shuttered Sunday at Stratford Square Mall in Bloomingdale, but that didn’t matter to visitors who wandered the corridors and rode the escalators one last time before the long-struggling shopping center closed for good

Instead of leaving with shopping bags and packages, they arrived with memories of the 1.3 million-square-foot center’s better days.

Liz Jaffe of Schaumburg had been shopping at the mall since it opened in 1981. More recently, she’s been visiting to mall walk.

“The pandemic was kind of a fatal blow to a lot of these mid-sized centers,” she said.

Michelle Legge of Gilberts was there Sunday with her three daughters, who stopped to toss coins in the wishing well.

“I grew up here,” said Legge, who was raised in Carol Stream and whose mom worked at the mall’s Kohl’s store. She remembers the days when Stratford Square on a Sunday was crowded like Woodfield.

“Now, they’re all shopping on Amazon,” she said.

Carol McGoldrick, who now resides in Aurora but for many years lived in Carol Stream, stopped by Sunday with daughter Kelly McGoldrick and Boston terriers Larry and Delilah.

“It’s kind of like losing a friend,” said Kelly, who has fond memories of dining at Carlos Sweeney’s, buying her prom dress at JCPenney and purchasing clothing for her first real job at Kohl’s.

Jackie and Derick Loafmann of Woodridge brought twin 3-year-old daughters Quinn and Eliza, who spent time riding the escalators in the empty mall.

Jackie said she worked at the mall’s Montgomery Ward and San Francisco Music Box Company. She also remembers a family holiday tradition that involved eating at the Carlos Sweeney’s restaurant before heading home to decorate the tree.

Nowadays she does a lot of her shopping online.

“I haven’t been here in so long,” she said Sunday. “I’m part of the problem.”

Tired of the lack of activity at the mall in recent years, the village of Bloomingdale began buying its vacant anchor stores. Then, earlier this year, the village purchased the core of the mall in an $8.75 million deal.

Officials now hope to redevelop the 275-acre property with restaurants, entertainment venues, retail outlets, housing and pedestrian-friendly green spaces. The village is working with an architect to develop a plan and officials say they will incorporate community feedback in their decisions.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Not at all. It is actually hard. The company was run in to the ground and all I (well, our group) had to do was deliver bad news, but the people, the memories, the good times in that building are what made it tolerable. It was 10.5 years in that complex. So it does pain me.

I would've loved had they opened the place up to former employees and let us take one last tour. When I went and turned in my computers when I moved on, I went back to my cube to gather my belongings and it was like the pictures of Chernobyl where time just stopped and people up and ran.
i worked in every single building of the allstate headquarters as a consultant on multiple projects. my last stint i turned a casual jeans for the summer policy into "when does summer really end?" and just wore jeans for the next year 😅 although did not advertise that to the consulting company i was working for lol. was a bit sad to see it being torn apart.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
i worked in every single building of the allstate headquarters as a consultant on multiple projects. my last stint i turned a casual jeans for the summer policy into "when does summer really end?" and just wore jeans for the next year 😅 although did not advertise that to the consulting company i was working for lol. was a bit sad to see it being torn apart.
My dad worked at Allstate for 32 years, most of the time spent in south barrington at 72/59. Hell, even I have fond memories of going there and picking him up to go to a concert down the road at poplar creek. He was very sad when that place shut down and got razed. Plus he hated driving to northbrook home office after that

Reactions: sickmint79

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I didn't realize they demolished the Northbrook offices. But yea, I feelz the pains.

Reactions: sickmint79

Thread Info