May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike

bs009

Making 3800's Great Again
Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
Discount tire is the shittt. Worked there for 2 years in college and it was one of my favorite jobs I had. I've always found better deals there after installation and shipping charges.

Tire rack is useful for reviews and testing and it looks like they're still going to be operating separately. I can't imagine Tire Rack is making much money with Amazon selling tires now anyway so they might need the assistance.

Still plenty of other competitors out there to them like Belle Tire, Firestone, Pep boys, Costco/Sams Club

Reactions: v6buicks and sktchy

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
Discount tire is the shittt. Worked there for 2 years in college and it was one of my favorite jobs I had. I've always found better deals there after installation and shipping charges.

Tire rack is useful for reviews and testing and it looks like they're still going to be operating separately. I can't imagine Tire Rack is making much money with Amazon selling tires now anyway so they might need the assistance.

Still plenty of other competitors out there to them like Belle Tire, Firestone, Pep boys, Costco/Sams Club

Me and FirstWorldProblems N20GT were INC01.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel

I don’t think I’ve ever heard someone have a good experience at discount tire.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I don’t think I’ve ever heard someone have a good experience at discount tire.
We did my with g/f. She had some crappy tires that were slapped on that the previous car owner wanted. Kept getting sidewall blisters. After about a year or having to get tires replaced (pro-rated) I asked if we had any options. She was at the shop with two blistered tires, I was at home. Guy I spoke to gave her a new set of tires for about 50% of cost, no disposal fee. It was a few years ago, want to say she went from Falkens to Pirelli. It’s for a Honda Fit, so not like they were special tires.

That’s my only dealing with them directly in recent years.

My last few sets were drop-shipped from Tire Rack to my tire/wheel guy.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Don’t have time to look right now, any info on what percent of the US market this will give them? I agree they’re both huge, seems like this has to be right on the edge of what the FTC would allow
Yeah I think who ever is running that place stopped showing up but keeps cashing the checks. They should of stepped on for the T-Mobile/att, Disney/fox, alphabet and the dozens of companies they buy, Facebook/dozens, ISPs... To name a few

Everywhere you look its just monopolies that could crush the little guys at any time if you threaten the bottom line enough.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Yeah I think who ever is running that place stopped showing up but keeps cashing the checks. They should of stepped on for the T-Mobile/att, Disney/fox, alphabet and the dozens of companies they buy, Facebook/dozens, ISPs... To name a few

Everywhere you look its just monopolies that could crush the little guys at any time if you threaten the bottom line enough.
I hadn’t thought about it but that is a really good point, you definitely would have expected them to step in and require some divesting to make those acquisitions work. When I have a minute I’m going to look and see if anybody has done any research on this

Reactions: Lord Tin Foilhat

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
I use tire rack since they’re a few miles away from me and a local chain to install. Sometimes they’ll price match and pick up tires for me which is awesome. They’re also super quick and I’ve never had an issue or been there longer than 30 minutes. Usually I just drop off though.

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
I've always found that having a good experience with mounting and balancing comes down to the individual you deal with at the service counter and which guy in back is actually doing the work, and less to do with the name on the store.

If you make them aware up front in a pleasant way that you expect the wheels to look as perfect after mounting as they did when new, AND you bring in something like a large pizza or donuts for the shop and counter guys to share before they do the work, you'll find that you'll be quite happy with the results. Whether you want to "tip" them like this upfront is up to you, of course. But I'd suggest that spending an extra $10-$20 to make sure you have a good experience with your $1000+ set of aftermarket wheels is well worth it.

I've ordered nearly all of my tires from either Tire Rack or DiscountTireDirect, and then just had mounting and balancing done locally. I found a Firestone near me (520 S Weber in Romeoville) where there are a few performance cars parked out front that are owned by the techs and managers, and they take care of me with lower costs than normal on installs and matching the online prices. So that's my go-to place now and they don't give me grief if I bring in my own tires that I bought online.

• Love
Reactions: bs009 and sktchy

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2010
North Aurora
Tire buying experience.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Bob Kazamakis

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
I've always found that having a good experience with mounting and balancing comes down to the individual you deal with at the service counter and which guy in back is actually doing the work, and less to do with the name on the store.

If you make them aware up front in a pleasant way that you expect the wheels to look as perfect after mounting as they did when new, AND you bring in something like a large pizza or donuts for the shop and counter guys to share before they do the work, you'll find that you'll be quite happy with the results. Whether you want to "tip" them like this upfront is up to you, of course. But I'd suggest that spending an extra $10-$20 to make sure you have a good experience with your $1000+ set of aftermarket wheels is well worth it.

I've ordered nearly all of my tires from either Tire Rack or DiscountTireDirect, and then just had mounting and balancing done locally. I found a Firestone near me (520 S Weber in Romeoville) where there are a few performance cars parked out front that are owned by the techs and managers, and they take care of me with lower costs than normal on installs and matching the online prices. So that's my go-to place now and they don't give me grief if I bring in my own tires that I bought online.
Biggest issue I’ve had with discount tire to get something mounted and balanced is their appointments are bullshit and don’t mean anything. Why did I make an appointment for 8am if it’s going to be hours as you take walk-ins at the same time and get back up? I know PANDA PANDA has had the same issues.
EmersonHart13 EmersonHart13 had fun with his wheels too

P40E

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2012
Tire Rack is awesome I’ve bought a lot of wheels and tires from them and it sucks they got bought out . I hope their customer service doesn’t change . They have helped me out in so many ways and have saved me money .

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021

This, there's alot of halfass tire techs that are either underexperienced or just don't care anymore. To add to that most chain stores are a frantic dash to get everything done on time while the counter guys are pounding you with walk in wait flats when the days already been booked full and then everyone back there ends up pissy and that doesn't help matters any. Not to mention it's manual labor which at least half of this country isn't into these days and the pay isn't that great resulting in less applicants and more likely substandard work.

I'm not saying all tire guys are idiots by any means, but alot of them just don't give a shit because its a shitty job. Somebody brings in a diesel truck caked full of mud and ruins your day your likely not going to be super enthused to work on whatevers next.

My advice, find an independent shop that will take the time to do things right and pay the extra if you don't want your wheels dinged up.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info