đź“° Auto News Discount Tire to acquire Tire Rack

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
These are 2 somewhat different businesses in my opinion, one is strictly a retailer and the other an install shop that sells tires. This is more of a logistical play for Discount Tire having a centralized hub in the US. That was what Tire Rack excelled at, housing and distributing tires quickly, some of the best shipping I’ve experienced.

P40E

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2012
These are 2 somewhat different businesses in my opinion, one is strictly a retailer and the other an install shop that sells tires. This is more of a logistical play for Discount Tire having a centralized hub in the US. That was what Tire Rack excelled at, housing and distributing tires quickly, some of the best shipping I’ve experienced.

Tire Rack is a huge facility they have many techs at the building and do work on cars there .

P40E

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2012
At Tire Rack in the shop getting my tires mounted and balanced . I was in my daily so I didn’t have them put them on my car .

898C7D9C-CA64-43A6-A1C6-09AD2005E235.jpeg

Reactions: Mr_Roboto

P40E

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2012
Interesting, I’ve been there before but have never seen that side of their business. Looking at the article maybe it is for larger fleet vehicles?

You can order stuff online or go pick it up . They will install for you . They have a row of work bays across from the equipment .

The showroom and waiting room is in the front and the shop is right there you can see the shop though the window . When you’re next in line they send you a text and you drive into the shop .

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
We had a Baptist College so we had them guys and work releases from lake county... Soooo yea
MIK14 for me. Ours was in a college town so it wasn't like a lot of the ones I see around me with all high school kids who don't know what they're doing.
Beers with the guys after a day busting tires were the best beers I ever had :LOL:

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
I don’t bother with discount unless it’s high end rims that I don’t want scratched, I don’t feel like spending half a day just to get some shit mounted, if I want to get in and out in minutes I go to the Mexican owned shops, they work fast and get you out the door.

Am I misreading this? You take your hood shit to Discount Tire?

If so you are doing it wrong!!!!

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
lol what

No I said I take my nice stuff to discount because I know they won’t scratch them but it comes at the cost of spending hours waiting.

I mistyped, I’m surprised you take your good shit to DT. I always felt they did shoddy work, my good stuff goes to a small independent shop in Elk Grove. Flawless every time.

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
I mistyped, I’m surprised you take your good shit to DT. I always felt they did shoddy work, my good stuff goes to a small independent shop in Elk Grove. Flawless every time.

I was swapping my rear tires off my cobra and at my old dealership the techs couldn’t remove the 315-30-18 tires. I was disappointed a 25 stall shop couldn’t remove 18’ tires like really? My porter says go to the little mex shop on north Ave they will hook you up. I said fuck it why not pulled up and popped the hatch the guy says no problem $30 remove, install and balance. I said to myself this guy is a stroke he won’t be able too. Sure as shit 15 min later he was done and gave him $50 the guy is like it’s only $30. Don’t worry buy yourself a good lunch.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
DT tire quoted me $280 plus tax to mount/balance 4 brand new tires on my sons car. I asked the guy, if he understands what I needed done as that price is insane. Didn’t use my guy who owns a shop in Elgin as he was in the process of moving his shop to a bigger bldg he bought. Took to a lil hood shop ran by Mexicans. $100 and done in 1hr lol.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
DT tire quoted me $280 plus tax to mount/balance 4 brand new tires on my sons car. I asked the guy, if he understands what I needed done as that price is insane. Didn’t use my guy who owns a shop in Elgin as he was in the process of moving his shop to a bigger bldg he bought. Took to a lil hood shop ran by Mexicans. $100 and done in 1hr lol.
I’ve gotten “I don’t want to do this” prices from DT. Needed a tpms replaced when on vacation because it was annoying me flashing on the dash. Quoted me $200 with parts for something that cost me $35 at my local place I hit.

• Wow
Reactions: Shawn1112

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I had used Suburban Tire in Glendale Heights for like 15 years. They turned to absolute garbage. So many issues in a years time. Their attitude towards their obvious mistakes was appalling. Lost a customer in me.

I switched to Discount Tire and have had a great experience. The worst part is dealing with their up selling. I get it, they are in business to make money. But they have gone above and beyond a couple times for me. Like I had bought tires for my BMW 335i. About two years later two wheels had a slow leak. I think it's the corrosion on the wheels. They took the wheels off the rims, cleaned everything, rebuilt the original TPMS, re-mounted, and balanced them. All at no charge to me.

I was at Discount Tire yesterday getting new snow tires installed. I had a 3pm appointment. I was in and out in 30-40 minutes. While I was there another TCG member just happened to walk in. He had two TPMS not reading when he installed his snow wheels/tires. They said no problem, and were replacing the TPMS under warranty.

I'm sure like most businesses, results may vary lol

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
I mean they do do shoddy work but usually they are good with high end stuff if you tell them to be careful.

Info on your tire guy?

His name is Lee Hogan, one man operation. The guys is truly an expert at his craft. His phone number is (847) 640-8019, you’ll need to set an appointment.

150 Seegers Ave, Elk Grove Village, IL 60007

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
Just to give you an idea of his attention to detail, my new BC Forged wheels I dropped off to him. He told me he wanted to not be bothered while working on them and asked for extra time. He did them for me after hours so he wouldn’t have people walking in or the phone ringing. Not a single mark on them when done, when he decides to retire I’ll be sad.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info