Diff rear pinion seal leaking?

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Reaction score
I brought the Cobra in to have the differential cover seal fixed (still under warranty). The dealer just called and said that it's NOT the diff cover seal, but the rear pinion seal on the diff.

When I inspected the diff, it sure looked to me like the cover seal was leaking, but it might have just been oil blowing back from a leaking pinion seal.

Does this sound kosher?

jaykruger

Juiced, ported and blown
Reaction score
nytebyte said:
I brought the Cobra in to have the differential cover seal fixed (still under warranty). The dealer just called and said that it's NOT the diff cover seal, but the rear pinion seal on the diff.

When I inspected the diff, it sure looked to me like the cover seal was leaking, but it might have just been oil blowing back from a leaking pinion seal.

Does this sound kosher?
It is possible how many miles are on it? If it is low the shims for the gears might be off and caused the premature failure of the seal. Regardless the should replace it and the diff cover seal. Are they trying to charge you for it as a non warranty item?

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Reaction score
i just resealed my diff and replaced my pinion seal at 20K

Kevin

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Reaction score
I've got 33K miles and they said it was just the pinion seal.

I'm gonna crawl under the car tomorrow and check the diff cover seal again, but they said it was definitely NOT leaking there.

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Reaction score
nytebyte said:
I've got 33K miles and they said it was just the pinion seal.

I'm gonna crawl under the car tomorrow and check the diff cover seal again, but they said it was definitely NOT leaking there.
Most likly the pinion seal. I didn't even noticed any leakage untill I popped off the drive shaft.

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Reaction score
road course usage causes flex on the snout. the hardcore guys have had trouble with the housing adding extra 'crush' to the crush sleeve so they switch to the solid pinion spacer to keep the preload within spec on the outer pinion bearing.

to replace the pinion seal, the differential carrier has to come out so you can get the pinion gear out.

spec for the preload on used pinion gears is 8-14 in/lb.

nytebyte said:

Does this sound kosher?

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Reaction score
Ok, this makes sense since I'm almost certain the leak started right after my last weekend at the Autobahn.

TCG Member 5219

Reaction score
nytebyte said:

Does this sound kosher?
Yes it does. My old cobra had the same thing happen. They replaced mine under warranty. I too thought it was the rear diff, but the air blowing it back sent the fluid to the cover. No worries, just check it after they fix it every couple of weeks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom