• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Diff rear pinion seal leaking?

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
I brought the Cobra in to have the differential cover seal fixed (still under warranty). The dealer just called and said that it's NOT the diff cover seal, but the rear pinion seal on the diff.

When I inspected the diff, it sure looked to me like the cover seal was leaking, but it might have just been oil blowing back from a leaking pinion seal.

Does this sound kosher?

jaykruger

Juiced, ported and blown
Mar 30, 2007
nytebyte said:
I brought the Cobra in to have the differential cover seal fixed (still under warranty). The dealer just called and said that it's NOT the diff cover seal, but the rear pinion seal on the diff.

When I inspected the diff, it sure looked to me like the cover seal was leaking, but it might have just been oil blowing back from a leaking pinion seal.

Does this sound kosher?

It is possible how many miles are on it? If it is low the shims for the gears might be off and caused the premature failure of the seal. Regardless the should replace it and the diff cover seal. Are they trying to charge you for it as a non warranty item?

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
road course usage causes flex on the snout. the hardcore guys have had trouble with the housing adding extra 'crush' to the crush sleeve so they switch to the solid pinion spacer to keep the preload within spec on the outer pinion bearing.

to replace the pinion seal, the differential carrier has to come out so you can get the pinion gear out.

spec for the preload on used pinion gears is 8-14 in/lb.

nytebyte said:

Does this sound kosher?

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
nytebyte said:

Does this sound kosher?

Yes it does. My old cobra had the same thing happen. They replaced mine under warranty. I too thought it was the rear diff, but the air blowing it back sent the fluid to the cover. No worries, just check it after they fix it every couple of weeks.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info