CMNT's 1980 Turbo Trans Am. It's alive, it's alive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unitsn4

Regular
Mar 30, 2015
Goodyear Polysteel Radial. Available as reproductions.
That’s right. Forgot about that.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Seriously don’t bother with a 301, if you want to stay PMD then do a 400. I used to build Pontiacs back in the 80’s. 301 is a boat anchor. Personally, I’d turbo LS swap it. Way more reliable power.

even with a big build 400 that ended up a 428 with a big cam I was probably only in the 450-475hp range. Pontiacs aren’t good revving motors, more about torque/midrange power. I had mine in a 2600lb g-body. I love pontiacs, but the old motor tech sucked

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan
Seriously don’t bother with a 301, if you want to stay PMD then do a 400. I used to build Pontiacs back in the 80’s. 301 is a boat anchor. Personally, I’d turbo LS swap it. Way more reliable power.

even with a big build 400 that ended up a 428 with a big cam I was probably only in the 450-475hp range. Pontiacs aren’t good revving motors, more about torque/midrange power. I had mine in a 2600lb g-body. I love pontiacs, but the old motor tech sucked
If it's a pace car and he is just going to cruise a bit and flip in a few years need to keep it numbers matching. If keeping to drive the next couple decades....LS9......

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
If it's a pace car and he is just going to cruise a bit and flip in a few years need to keep it numbers matching. If keeping to drive the next couple decades....LS9......

Actually, if I pull it, I'm going a 455 SD. Gotta keep it "Pontiac." Gotta love LS motors, but I have a few of those already.

But yea, the intention if to keep it the way it is, fix it up/clean it up, and just enjoy it for what it is.

On the boost talk, I thought this one, when properly running was about 9psi. Of course detonation scaled things back. Does the '80 have the knock sensor? Or is that just '81 with the ECM?

Today, I got in to the car, took the back seat out as I wanted to see, if for some bizarre reason, the build sheet was still there. Sadly it was not. What I did find is plenty more "afro-engineering" for a stereo (it is a Pioneer detachable headunit at least as that is the box I tossed...). For example, when you're out of sufficient gauge cable, just cut up a power cord for something in the house... It'll do. :D Looks like then upon putting it all together, he couldn't get the seat back back in it's hooks, so the solution there was a bungy cord, through the trunk holes, through the seat back frame and out to the trunk through the other sides trunk hole, then tied...

Car has 68,700 miles on it BTW.

Reactions: dpwalsh14

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
On the boost talk, I thought this one, when properly running was about 9psi. Of course detonation scaled things back. Does the '80 have the knock sensor? Or is that just '81 with the ECM?

It will have a knock sensor and ESC module (electronic spark control). 9 psi from the factory. It will also have something called a PEVR - Power Enrichment Valve Regulator. It references the Quadrajet's power valve tot he lower intake manifold.

I think you will find a Factory Service Manual invaluable. Check ebay.

This is of course assuming the 301T is still under the hood.

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I'm trying, it's killing me too. Looks like the OEM cable broke, so the run around is a coat hanger, dangling behind the front end that you pull as your release, it pops, but I can't get it up... past that. :D

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Just ordered the ignition switch with new key. So hopefully I can get that hood open, get pics for Joel, and then get this in and actually start it.

Based on some recon on the VIN from Unitsn4 Unitsn4, the car was last registered in 2016 which means it's at least been run recently.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Actually, if I pull it, I'm going a 455 SD. Gotta keep it "Pontiac." Gotta love LS motors, but I have a few of those already.

But yea, the intention if to keep it the way it is, fix it up/clean it up, and just enjoy it for what it is.

Today, I got in to the car, took the back seat out as I wanted to see, if for some bizarre reason, the build sheet was still there. Sadly it was not. What I did find is plenty more "afro-engineering" for a stereo (it is a Pioneer detachable headunit at least as that is the box I tossed...). For example, when you're out of sufficient gauge cable, just cut up a power cord for something in the house... It'll do. :D Looks like then upon putting it all together, he couldn't get the seat back back in it's hooks, so the solution there was a bungy cord, through the trunk holes, through the seat back frame and out to the trunk through the other sides trunk hole, then tied...

Car has 68,700 miles on it BTW.
455sd style would be a good choice. Externally they are all the same size. It’s going to max out around 5-5500 rpm. I doubt you’ll easily find a pair of round port heads for it, but the standard 6x heads do ok with a port and polish. I had a set of #16 heads which were already unobtanium by the late ‘90s. There’s only a few builders that deal with the old Pontiac stuff, but can’t go wrong with Butler or Nunzi

Reactions: CMNTMXR57

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
I wouldn't do a legit SD but a "clone" or similar at best. Quite frankly those parts demand big coin and there's better stuff now. A lot of people are making 400->455+ stroker engines because supposedly the small mains are better anyways. In terms of the heads I'd end up with KREs or Edelbrocks over a set of stockers you'll pay premium bank for and that won't flow as well unless it's got to look authentic. They seem readily available on Craigslist and the last Pontiac swap meet I went to every other booth had a set or two but they all wanted $1500 plus.

As mentioned though if you wanted to stick to production heads the cool thing is most D-ports port out roughly the same. You will want to change valves anyways no matter what in the heads as the 2 piece valves are somewhat known for being problematic from what I've read. If you do a bigger cubed engine and want production heads I may or may not use the 96es I have on my 71 again.

Reactions: v6buicks

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I've always heard that small mains are better than big mains. I'm not going to try to repeat the science, but it made sense when I heard and read about it. I find it interesting that they were different between 400 and 455 Pontiacs. I didn't know that.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
https://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/60609/10002/-1

Here's bare Edelbrocks for $800 each CNC ported. I wouldn't count on any components in a set of stock 16s being worth salvaging for a really high perf setup (you'd need to replace valves and rocker studs at the minimum) so you're really talking minimal extra outlay.

Then again, perhaps just getting it running first. Or swap it with a Chevy. :rofl:

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
I wouldn't do a legit SD but a "clone" or similar at best. Quite frankly those parts demand big coin and there's better stuff now. A lot of people are making 400->455+ stroker engines because supposedly the small mains are better anyways. In terms of the heads I'd end up with KREs or Edelbrocks over a set of stockers you'll pay premium bank for and that won't flow as well unless it's got to look authentic. They seem readily available on Craigslist and the last Pontiac swap meet I went to every other booth had a set or two but they all wanted $1500 plus.

As mentioned though if you wanted to stick to production heads the cool thing is most D-ports port out roughly the same. You will want to change valves anyways no matter what in the heads as the 2 piece valves are somewhat known for being problematic from what I've read. If you do a bigger cubed engine and want production heads I may or may not use the 96es I have on my 71 again.
Yeah, the aluminum heads are way better than any of the stockers. I had my 400 journals opened up to accept a 428 crank. Restricted the lifter bores and ran solids. Wanted a higher rev potential and to keep the oil pressure in the bottom end. There were also guys running longer rods/shorter pistons to allow better high rpm potential.

I had a RA4 clone cam with a few tweaks in mine. The lope at idle sounded amazing.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Yeah I think they typically do BBC rods because they're super common. That's not to say that a Pontiac doesn't use a really long rod for an OEM engine anyways. I'd love to try to build a wicked NA Pontiac 350 just to see how much compression one could do because of the long rods. It'd be a really interesting bench racing test.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Yeah I think they typically do BBC rods because they're super common. That's not to say that a Pontiac doesn't use a really long rod for an OEM engine anyways. I'd love to try to build a wicked NA Pontiac 350 just to see how much compression one could do because of the long rods. It'd be a really interesting bench racing test.
My first engine build (at 17) was a 350 Pontiac. It spun 6 rod bearings...lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thread Info