CMNT's 1980 Turbo Trans Am. It's alive, it's alive

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
No. that black thing was a skull floormat folded over. Yes. that grey plastic cover is a side kick panel. At first, I thought it was a speaker cup for the rear shelf like GM used to do.

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Cleaned it up today. I didn't have the power washer, but just with some soap, scrubbing with a brush (Yea, I know Gav is probably curled up in the fetal position reading that...), and I would say I got 99% of the crud off. The wheels and the front clip cleaned up really nice.

20200603_164517.jpg

20200603_164533.jpg

20200603_164553.jpg

20200603_164614.jpg

20200603_164623.jpg

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Yup, the flares and air dam or missing, the plate is, well, "special" engineering... (along with the power cord used as speaker wire, the bungy cords used to strap the seat back in, the coat hanger for a hood release... ) I won't use the real term in light of the environment, and yea, those tips are going to go once I get that far. But no one has seen it yet. I even had to do a double take and walk around the vehicle to see if both sides were the same.

The third pic might actually help too.

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I really don't know that it looks any better or worse with the air dam quite honestly. I lean more towards leaving it off.

I don't know of the pics really bring it out, but when you stand next to it, without all that, the front end of the car looks too high. Almost like it's on ramps or stands or something.

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
itsalive-uts-quickmeme-com-its-alive-its-aliiiiiiiiive-frankenstein-53382292.png

Ignition switch came today, went over and installed it, mine seemed to be a bit more involved than some of the other earlier year 2nd gens that I watched steps on, like I ended up having to remove some electric contact switch and then loosen the upper portion of the column to provide slack for the old ignition cylinder to come out.

But it's alive... Ran it for about 20 minutes. I need to fix the negative cable, it's rusted and loose at the terminal to the battery and likes to provide fireworks while cranking. :D I also need to replace the thermostat gasket. It was leaking while running. Oh, and a lot of blow-by and blue smoke out the tail pipes. In the second run, it seemed to hang up around 2,200 rpm and nothing I could do other than choking it, would slow it down. Any Quadrajet peeps out there wanna take a look at it??

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Blue smoke is probably somewhat expected out the exhaust with it seeping a few years of old oil that got past the valve guides out. It may be the turbo too though. There's also a chance the engine's roached. Does it have the oil/coolant or coolant/oil mix at all? That's something I'd check.

Luckily being a Pontiac means it should be stupid easy to compression test compared to a Chevy. I'd just pull plugs and see if you've got a hole that looks like hell.

Start looking around for vacuum leaks is my opinion on the 2200 RPM idle. The solenoid on the front driver's side of the carb is the fidle solenoid. It doesn't look stuck but who knows. I'd be afraid of one of the shafts being kind of jammed up and the butterflies not closing fully.

Reactions: m_dogg

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Oil and coolant are clean. At least soo far.

It was getting dark out so I called it a night. I was gonna go through the carb in day light, clean and lubricate all linkage, etc... But I would bet that after sitting for as long as it has, the internals need a good cleaning.

Reactions: m_dogg

Unitsn4

Regular
Mar 30, 2015
Agree with above on vacuum lines & the electric choke. The choke should have 12v all the time with ignition on. It definitely can be stuck after all this time sitting. There is a fast idle cam under the choke if I remember correctly. I'd make sure the linkage here moves freely.

If you do get the carb off, make sure not to over tighten when reinstalling as the base plate warps very easily. People make this mistake often. While running spray whatever you have laying around (carb cleaner, etc.) at the base plate and see if the RPM's change. If so, this is your likely source for a vacuum leak and causing the fast idle.

Make sure the cruise is off. One of my cars was idling high due to mechanics of this. Also, make sure the brake booster vacuum line is hooked up. I doubt these are your issues, but doesn't hurt to double check.

If you decide to rebuild, buy a kit from Cliff Ruggles. It will be a quality kit that can save you aggravation later on. I used his book and kit with great results on 3 quadrajets. He also redid the carb in my 10th and it was perfect.

I wouldn't waste money on a local parts store generic quadrajet. Getting yours working correctly shouldn't be too difficult.

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I will dink around with it tomorrow. I almost think, at this point, a rebuild of it should be on the list of to does.

I'm really more concerned about seeing if the smoking comes down after running it a few times.

If rings/ring lands, valve stem guides and anything else are, shot, i may have to consider other options.

Thanks all for the carb advice. It's amazing how far we've come with fuel injection that i hate dealing with abcarb anymore. :D

Reactions: Unitsn4

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Another thing I just thought of that perhaps makes this quadrant unique, is that under boost, I believe it has a mechanism that basically dumps a ton of fuel in to keep 8t rich enough not to pre-detonate. This is different from a normal enrichment circuit on a n/a engine.

But again, I could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thread Info