Chicago 1/2 Mile Shootout IS A GO for June 1st and 2nd!

JRCART

May 23, 2013
I am out in California with both cars, was going to hit the road in a few minutes and drive through the night with a co-driver to get my cars home by tomorrow afternoon, Maybe I will just stop off and do a test and tune in Vegas tomorrow night since Earl is no coming.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
You guys also haven't taken into consideration that a runway is being used. The owner of the runway was kind enough to shut down all air traffic this weekend. Maybe he just can't do that again for a rain date? It's not like we are renting out a drag strip.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
You guys also haven't taken into consideration that a runway is being used. The owner of the runway was kind enough to shut down all air traffic this weekend. Maybe he just can't do that again for a rain date? It's not like we are renting out a drag strip.

I'm sure the owners of the runway are getting compensated for WGF using it and wouldn't you think that it would have been negotiated that if in the event of rain that it would go to another weekend? That's business not kindness of letting us use their track.

I'm on the fence with this argument. Ill just wait to see how it pans out. I'm making over 900wtq quickly on a rwd car on MT ET's. I'm hoping for absolute dry conditions.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
The fact of the matter is this wouldn't be the first event to be rained out. People have rain dates for events like this all the time. We've been told there were rain dates from the get-go and what better reason to take advantage of them then rain?

You guys say "oh well we don't know what the weather would be next week either". Well of course you don't. Nobody ever does but then why even bother with a rain date in the first place? Why not come right out and say hey if it rains you're up shit creek without a paddle?

Then there's this sudden announcement that the date is the date and a "reschedule just is not possible" because of logistics. Well if there can't be a rain date for logistical reasons now there never could have been a rain date then because the logistics didn't change. And I don't think anyone assumed that if they committed to a date and it ended up being a rainout that there wouldn't be a rain date but now it's sounding like they're saying that because they committed to this day, this is the only chance we get so if it rains that's it. I don't mean to be that guy but I also don't think these are unreasonable questions to be asking so please, shelf the negative nancy bullshit por favor.

It's looking like it's going to be scattered showers so hopefully the runway dries quickly, we all get a bunch of runs and end up looking like idiots for even discussing it.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
Trying to read between the lines it seems as though they know they can play the rain card for the next weekend, but they want to be certain that it's in fact going to rain this weekend because as of right now it looks like only a 20% chance of rain. Look at it like this. What if they preemptively pull the rain card and tell the traveling and shop folks that it's for the following weekend when in fact Saturday turns out to be dry and perfect. I guess they are trying to be as optimistic as possible that saturday will turn out to be a good day for racing. It may open a bigger can of worms if they say it's not a go and turns out to be fine on Saturday. If it turns out to rain heavily and track conditions are not safe for high hp cars then i'd hope they would do the responsible thing and say "hey we tried to make this work and the chance of rain didn't play into our favor. We will pull the rain card for next weekend".

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Trying to read between the lines it seems as though they know they can play the rain card for the next weekend, but they want to be certain that it's in fact going to rain this weekend because as of right now it looks like only a 20% chance of rain. Look at it like this. What if they preemptively pull the rain card and tell the traveling and shop folks that it's for the following weekend when in fact Saturday turns out to be dry and perfect. I guess they are trying to be as optimistic as possible that saturday will turn out to be a good day for racing. It may open a bigger can of worms if they say it's not a go and turns out to be fine on Saturday. If it turns out to rain heavily and track conditions are not safe for high hp cars then i'd hope they would do the responsible thing and say "hey we tried to make this work and the chance of rain didn't play into our favor. We will pull the rain card for next weekend".

You know, I get that it's a difficult decision and bitch as I might, I wouldn't want to be the one making it because you might be damned if you do and damned if you don't. If your scenario was exactly how it was playing out I think everyone would be cool but from what I'm reading they're saying that now that they've committed to this date they've committed to it and there will be no rain date even if we end up getting rained out.

And really, that's my only beef here.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
You know, I get that it's a difficult decision and bitch as I might, I wouldn't want to be the one making it because you might be damned if you do and damned if you don't. If your scenario was exactly how it was playing out I think everyone would be cool but from what I'm reading they're saying that now that they've committed to this date they've committed to it and there will be no rain date even if we end up getting rained out.

And really, that's my only beef here.

I suppose they don't want to put doubts into the minds of those that are making the trip out. They will do everything in their power to make it happen this weekend, but if it rains, that isn't something they can control and I'd hope they would handle the situation accordingly. Imagine if he came out on wednesday and instead said "well guys I'm not sure whats going to happen". That would create alot of uncertainty and doubt for those that are coming out, that are making travel arrangements, that are closing down shops. It's like the making a business decision that you have to stand by regardles. Sometimes you have to stick to it because if you don't the doubts sink in and cause a bigger mess. :dunno: In this situation I'm hoping for the best but expect the worst

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
20%?

zkGN6r5.jpg

Looks like we have a good chance of rain or at minimum wet conditions.

I also agree if Saturday does not work out, rain date. But it sounds like the rain date is NOT a option. I just feel whatever route wannagofast decides to take should benefit the most people, and if its pleasing the people who come from out of state and the sponsors so be it. Not saying I am going to be happy.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
20%?

Looks like we have a good chance of rain or at minimum wet conditions.

I also agree if Saturday does not work out, rain date. But it sounds like the rain date is NOT a option. I just feel whatever route wannagofast decides to take should benefit the most people, and if its pleasing the people who come from out of state and the sponsors so be it. Not saying I am going to be happy.

You do realize that forecasting from multiple sources produces multiple results right? weather.com is currently showing 30% chance of rain saturday. If they don't honor a rain date as was stated initially as an option then I'd expect for them to have a whole other level of legal hurt on them. The rubber is going to hit the road real quick saturday morning depending on how the weather plays out with final decisions being made. no pun intended

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
From everything we've been told here and I see on their Facebook page this is the date and there will be no rain date. They've said on the facebook page that we'll race between showers if we need to.

Really, I don't think they're bluffing here. :) I think Saturday is the date and if it doesn't go down for whatever reason or everyone only ends up getting in a run or two it's tough luck which is contrary to everything a rain date represents.

My concern is that even if it's not raining I don't want to be racing down a runway at 140mph that a few people in the original photoshoot thread said they had to use every bit of the slow down zone in and that was under dry conditions. Even if it's not raining, if the runway is wet that's a situation I'm not going to want to run in. Maybe I'm I giant pussy for that. eh, I probably am. :)

Ok, I'm done here now, I swear. I'm crossing my fingers for good weather.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
From everything we've been told here and I see on their Facebook page this is the date and there will be no rain date. They've said on the facebook page that we'll race between showers if we need to.

Really, I don't think they're bluffing here. :) I think Saturday is the date and if it doesn't go down for whatever reason or everyone only ends up getting in a run or two it's tough luck which is contrary to everything a rain date represents.

My concern is that even if it's not raining I don't want to be racing down a runway at 140mph that a few people in the original photoshoot thread said they had to use every bit of the slow down zone in and that was under dry conditions. Even if it's not raining, if the runway is wet that's a situation I'm not going to want to run in. Maybe I'm I giant pussy for that. eh, I probably am. :)

Ok, I'm done here now, I swear. I'm crossing my fingers for good weather.

Well that contradicts what was originally stated during the registration period. I'll be heading there, but if it's wet, I'm not running. My concern is that I've got no ABS and my brakes are ok but if I'm in a bind then wet pavment is only going to make it worse. Did I mention I make over 900wtq on MT ET's. Yeah, thats just great for wet conditions. :roflpicard:

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Sep 30, 2008
Jacksonville, IL
Real Name
Danny
Did I mention I make over 900wtq on MT ET's. Yeah, thats just great for wet conditions. :roflpicard:

ET's are fun in the rain!!! :ugh:

and i see where mike is coming from; it's not the sole fact that they are still going with the plans on Saturday no matter what...the problem is that everyone was led to believe that there was a rain date from the beginning, and now they suddenly changed that.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
ET's are fun in the rain!!! :ugh:

and i see where mike is coming from; it's not the sole fact that they are still going with the plans on Saturday no matter what...the problem is that everyone was led to believe that there was a rain date from the beginning, and now they suddenly changed that.

Totally agree, and therefore I insert this ----->:greasy:

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
Everything is speculation until sat morning arrives. With that said I made all of my plans based on the fact taken from the Q & A thread. I was the one who asked the question.

Rain date would be the following weekend.

This is the date for the event. A reschedule is simply not possible especially considering the weather is unknown for next week and the fact that a very high percentage of participants could for sure not make a future date. Canceling the event would cause even more problems then a potentially wet Saturday. The weather is the weather and completely out of everyone's control.

:dunno:

I never received an update regarding this, and I'm just glad I'm not travelling across the country!

Here is hoping for a dry sat!

Sharkey

Regular
Sep 19, 2012
Another thing, if you say it's an inconviacne to those people if there was a rain date, then why is it the rest of the community who understood that there was a chance for a rain day has to suffer because of a select few that knew while signing up the rain date was a possibility but is a problem for them

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info