Chicago 1/2 Mile Shootout IS A GO for June 1st and 2nd!

wannaGOFAST

Regular
Oct 29, 2012
What if this weekend is a rainout will we race next or is that already a no? What if Saturday it rains and Sunday its nice. Or vice versa?

This is the date for the event. A reschedule is simply not possible especially considering the weather is unknown for next week and the fact that a very high percentage of participants could for sure not make a future date. Canceling the event would cause even more problems then a potentially wet Saturday. The weather is the weather and completely out of everyone's control.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Man I hate to be a whiny bitch but isn't that what rain dates are for? Of course no one can control the weather but instead of giving people the opportunity to come out on another date you've basically eliminated that option and doubled down on your bet that the weather is going to be good. There's one thing worse than some people not being able to make accommodations for a rain date and that's everyone showing up and nobody getting to run at all. In one scenario a percentage of the people are inconvenienced. In the other, potentially everyone is inconvenienced.

So I guess my question is what happens if we do get there and nobody gets a chance to run? Have we just forfeited our money for nothing?

Really I'm not trying to be a pain in the ass but from my perspective you guys had a contingency plan for this exact reason and now instead of risking some people not getting to race because they can't make it out on a rain date you're risking everyone not being able to race because you axed the contingency plan.

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Sep 30, 2008
Jacksonville, IL
Real Name
Danny
Man I hate to be a whiny bitch but isn't that what rain dates are for? Of course no one can control the weather but instead of giving people the opportunity to come out on another date you've basically eliminated that option and doubled down on your bet that the weather is going to be good. There's one thing worse than some people not being able to make accommodations for a rain date and that's everyone showing up and nobody getting to run at all. In one scenario a percentage of the people are inconvenienced. In the other, potentially everyone is inconvenienced.

So I guess my question is what happens if we do get there and nobody gets a chance to run? Have we just forfeited our money for nothing?

Really I'm not trying to be a pain in the ass but from my perspective you guys had a contingency plan for this exact reason and now instead of risking some people not getting to race because they can't make it out on a rain date you're risking everyone not being able to race because you axed the contingency plan.

x2, there is a 60% chance of EVERYONE getting screwed, rather then just SOME people. it just doesn't make sense in my eyes, since from the beginning you said if there was rain a later date would be set.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
You guys gotta understand...no matter what choice Blake makes, its a huge gamble for all involved: the racers, Bult, the city itself, vendors / sponsors, spectators, etc.

He chose to stick w/ the plan as A LOT of people have moved their schedules around JUST to make this weekend. Some of you might simply think thats no big deal and that "some of the racers can afford it", but just b/c they can, doesnt make it any easier to open their schedule to another date...that goes for everyone...hell, sponsors and shops are taking time from their business to participate. Its not exactly easy to put work on hold only to have to reschedule again.

If Blake moves this to the rain date and this weekend ends up being perfect, we just wasted two good days. And with how crazy the weather has been this year, whos to say the rain date wont rain..or the date after that. Its likely not very easy to work w/ the city and airport to move things around in the event he did postpone everything. There are a lot of pieces to the puzzle and its just as easy as snapping your fingers and moving everything.

I dont envy him. Its a tough call to make and no one is going to be completely happy with whatever choice is / was made. Just gotta hope we get lucky over the next few days.

Agree with me, dont agree with me. I'm behind the choice to keep it this weekend. Hope we're right :rofl: :hs:

SinisterSHO

Tame Racing Driver
Jul 20, 2007
I'm with Mike K. I'm happy that it isn't going ton be postponed because i don't know when I could do it again. However, if Saturday rolls around and its too wet for me to run, then what happens? Since no one is planning a rain date, will there be one?

Regardless, I'm leaving early enough Saturday to watch the Hawks.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
So it rains, big deal. We can have one of the most badass car shows on sat if it is too wet. I agree with the decision. I am sure that I am not the only one in this boat. But, i would rather lose a little bit of money and have half of the event happen than lose all the money I have into the event and not see or do shit. Rain dates are fine and dandy, but some of us cant get multiple weekends off in a row and i am sure the logistics of it are not as easy as you guys think. Buncha negative nancies in this bitch. Stop taking things for granted.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I'm with Mike K here... Sounds like the weekend events will go on rain/shine, and the rain date is irrelevant. This based on a weather forecast Wed morning from the biggest moron in Chicago weather.

I would have researched the forecast heavily Friday afternoon and made the call if the events will go on. Saturday, Sunday or both. If not, move to next weekend. I mean I don't know how many people are shipping cars and getting on a plane for this event, but I am going to guess far less people would be inconvenienced if events were moved to next weekend. If it rains next weekend you got people pissed at the weather not at the fact that the rain dates were not a option. Either way I planned my air travel (vacation) around both these weekends so lets hope something works out!

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
You do realizing people are coming from far enough away that if he changed his mind on FRIDAY, they would already be on their way and would have to turn around their trucks and trailers and go back home? What's decided is decided. People need to stop bitching and get on board.

Sharkey

Regular
Sep 19, 2012
You will have cars that are capable of reaching 180 to 200 mph ,if there is any moisture on the runway and having cars on slicks and drag radials trying to stop or get traction is a recipe for disaster . Why even have a rain date then,

Some one had to say what everyone is thinking.

Im willing to be that the event sponsers ect are the majority with cars coming in from out of town ect that dont want the delay. Me personally i would like to get 200$ worth of track time. It seems the sunday guys will make out well to this.

This is the date for the event. A reschedule is simply not possible especially considering the weather is unknown for next week and the fact that a very high percentage of participants could for sure not make a future date. Canceling the event would cause even more problems then a potentially wet Saturday. The weather is the weather and completely out of everyone's control.

Im not one to stir the pot, but wouldnt a 150 people/cars not racing at all that just paid 200$ be more of a problem then 20-30 people that have to sell thier spot?

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
You do realizing people are coming from far enough away that if he changed his mind on FRIDAY, they would already be on their way and would have to turn around their trucks and trailers and go back home? What's decided is decided. People need to stop bitching and get on board.

That's the risk they take traveling to a event. Kinda like the time we all drove 1.5 hours to Byron only to be told go home no racing today at the gate. I'm just wondering how many people are actually in this situation. Like I said, do what's better for the majority.

Edit - People traveling can also make own early decision based on weather to attend or not.

JRCART

May 23, 2013
You guys are a bunch of whiners

I have a friend bringing his AMG all the way from Ft Meyers, FL and he is not bitching about the possibility of rain. The chance of rain on Saturday is decreasing, it is not down to 30% chance of scattered afternoon showers. The chance of rain actually increased from 10% to 20% on Sunday. If it rains it rains, nothing the race promoter can do about the weather. If he cancelled and it didn't rain you guys would hang him by his nut sack for that as well.

loungn14

Dec 27, 2012
You guys are a bunch of whiners

I have a friend bringing his AMG all the way from Ft Meyers, FL and he is not bitching about the possibility of rain. The chance of rain on Saturday is decreasing, it is not down to 30% chance of scattered afternoon showers. The chance of rain actually increased from 10% to 20% on Sunday. If it rains it rains, nothing the race promoter can do about the weather. If he cancelled and it didn't rain you guys would hang him by his nut sack for that as well.

earl cancelled this morning jim...I had all his reservations etc for him

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info