Cheap TV’s.......does it matter?

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
Epic dumbass post:

bought an Insignia Amazon Fire TV today... My 1st plasma is an insignia ( still going after 8 years ). and why buy roku when i already have an Amazon account.

Well unless I am dumber than I thought ( which right now is pretty dumb ), the Fire TV doesn't work with a cable box. WTF
An HD antenna can be connected and used for channel surfing but an actual paid cable setup doesn't work ?

FML

Will exchange tomorrow. Now, do I go with a TCL and Roku or do I just buy a regular TV and fire stick. This is for the "basement" / workout room. Just need to be able to view regular cable channels and YouTube via the fire stick.... to be honest I think I'm going with a non smart TV and a fire stick

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
Epic dumbass post:

bought an Insignia Amazon Fire TV today... My 1st plasma is an insignia ( still going after 8 years ). and why buy roku when i already have an Amazon account.

Well unless I am dumber than I thought ( which right now is pretty dumb ), the Fire TV doesn't work with a cable box. WTF
An HD antenna can be connected and used for channel surfing but an actual paid cable setup doesn't work ?

FML

Will exchange tomorrow. Now, do I go with a TCL and Roku or do I just buy a regular TV and fire stick. This is for the "basement" / workout room. Just need to be able to view regular cable channels and YouTube via the fire stick.... to be honest I think I'm going with a non smart TV and a fire stick

Since I use Sling, I tend to gravitate towards Roku devices. If you get a Roku TV, you can always add a firestick and vice versa. But I know on Roku, there's a free app called LoCast. Download it and create an account. Gives you free local channels. Fox, NBC, ABC, wgn, plus other channels all free.

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
Epic dumbass post:

FML

I don’t see why cable wouldn’t work if hd antenna works... I hate to ask but did you read the manual?

Gav'sPurpleZ

TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
The issue is that in the basement I have a converter box. So the cable goes from the wall to the converter box and a 2nd cable goes from the box to the TV.
This provides basic cable.

If the port on the back of the TV says antenna/cable IN, then why when that port is tuned to on the TV it does nothing ?

Instead of switching around 3 TVs in the house I will return / exchange this TV.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
The issue is that in the basement I have a converter box. So the cable goes from the wall to the converter box and a 2nd cable goes from the box to the TV.
This provides basic cable.

If the port on the back of the TV says antenna/cable IN, then why when that port is tuned to on the TV it does nothing ?

Instead of switching around 3 TVs in the house I will return / exchange this TV.
You need to go into the TV settings and change the TV input to cable instead of Air/antenna

Gav'sPurpleZ

TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
i believe the options were:
Antenna
Analog
Digital
digital and Analog
Cable Only

I tried it on Antenna, scanned to 100% and found 2 channels
As mentioned above, It took a long time to scan up to 15% and only 2 channels were found ?

The TV shouldnt have to search for channels, isn't that the point of connecting a dedicated cable/ box ?

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
i believe the options were:
Antenna
Analog
Digital
digital and Analog
Cable Only

I tried it on Antenna, scanned to 100% and found 2 channels
As mentioned above, It took a long time to scan up to 15% and only 2 channels were found ?

The TV shouldnt have to search for channels, isn't that the point of connecting a dedicated cable/ box ?
Digital or cable.

Depends. If you want to change channels on the tv, then you scan. If u change on cable box then you use cable controller.

Gav'sPurpleZ

TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
The TV boots up and automatically comes up with the amazon home page.
so wouldn't I choose the "input" to access "cable tv ?"

if so, then I think I tried these already. It shows HDMI input 1, 2, 3 and then antenna.
When selecting antenna, it provides the advance options menu, this is where the 5 choices are listed.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
The TV boots up and automatically comes up with the amazon home page.
so wouldn't I choose the "input" to access "cable tv ?"

if so, then I think I tried these already. It shows HDMI input 1, 2, 3 and then antenna.
When selecting antenna, it provides the advance options menu, this is where the 5 choices are listed.
How does the cable box plug into the tv? HDMI or Coax?

Do you have the cable box model?

Gav'sPurpleZ

TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
serious shit going on in here

ignorance is bliss man, and I'm having a blissful day :fu:
#GavBitchoftheDayisabouthisownDumbassness

Ok so depending on what this box is, could be why its not working.

So could this happen with another TV ?
Fuck... that sucks, I don't need to pay comcast for another box...that's for sure.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
ignorance is bliss man, and I'm having a blissful day :fu:
#GavBitchoftheDayisabouthisownDumbassness

So could this happen with another TV ?
Fuck... that sucks, I don't need to pay comcast for another box...that's for sure.
It sounds like you have an old ass box. You would already be paying monthly for it anyways. Unless this is a different box

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
it's definitely old.
I will try 1 experiment when I get home.
If that fails, then I guess I will call comcast and ask for an updated box.
So what i think is happening is the older digital converter box is having issues with the converter in the new TV. Newer boxes will have coax in and HDMI out to avoid this issue.

What model is the new TV? I bet the older TVs don't have a digital converter built in, hence the older box was needed and works fine with those TVs.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info