• Hi Guest, welcome to TCG 2.0. Please refer to the FAQ in User Support before you do anything else. It will make the transition MUCH easier.

IF YOU ARE SEEING AN "OOPS" ERROR PAGE, IT IS LIKELY BECAUSE YOUR BROWSER HAS NOT UPDATED YOUR CACHE. YOU CAN EITHER CLICK FORUMS AT THE TOP LEFT OR VISIT THECHICAGOGARAGE.COM AND BOOKMARK THAT. - Love, Mook

Car broke down in FL (not mine)

I

imported_Diavolo

my buddies Ford Windstar broke down in Jacksonville FL. Looks like the #6 piston is hitting the head. The most he was offered was $400 from a junkyard. It is a 95 Windstar with 75,000 miles on it. You guys think it is worth trying to fix the engine and then sell it? or just junk it and the 400.

SaturdaysGS

Reaction score
It has what, the Essex 3.8? Maybe the Vulcan 3.0? Both of those engines are easy and cheap to come by and are relatively easy to tear down given their OHV config. It'd be worth much more with a running engine thats for sure, so If it can be done between a couple buddies and a few hundred bucks for the engine, it'd be worth it to fix it and sell it.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
Reaction score
its the timing. get new a cylinder head and prolly new piston and set the timing right.
it is worth it

I

imported_Diavolo

it is the 3.8. Since it is down in Jacksonville, I can not touch it, but I am going to try to help my roommate sell it onine somehwere. Would a place like ebay or autotrader be a good spot to sell? or should I try some car forums where more gearheads are.

Silvapain

Reaction score
it is the 3.8. Since it is down in Jacksonville, I can not touch it, but I am going to try to help my roommate sell it onine somehwere. Would a place like ebay or autotrader be a good spot to sell? or should I try some car forums where more gearheads are.
[/b]
The "Essex" 3.8L is known for head gasket failures - could be that. Like Nick said, engines can be had for pretty cheap from a junkyard. Jasper quotes about $2300 for a rebuilt engine.

Fish

From the mean streets....
Reaction score
^^ I concur. I was in a 90 3.8 Tbird when the HG blew. What fun that was.

Not to sound clubgpish, but swap a L67. LOL.

Edmond

Reaction score
Actually, I think he might benefit more from donating it to charity. That's assuming that he doesn't need the car for commuting. He'd get more from the deduction than he would from selling it outright. Disclaimer: I'm not a CPA. :blink:

I

imported_Diavolo

umm mike... how the hell are you getting home?

We rented a car and drove back. I got back Sunday morning.

smknL67

Reaction score
I would of rented a uhaul truck with the dolley brough that beatch back home taken it to the shop and then sold it. IF you can bring it back to Chicago I can have that fixed for you cheap.

I

imported_Diavolo

Uhaul was too expensive. We could barly afford the $200 for a rental between 4 of us.

smkn, we need someone like you, but in FL to do it :) Too much money to get it shipped up here. we are going to try craigslist and see if someone will take it.

I

imported_Diavolo

either this weekend or next. I got two hockey games this weekend, but my shoulder is sore so it may be good for me to miss a few games.

I

imported_Diavolo

My ls1 blocks my PCV and my cruise control doesn't stay on anymore :blink:

and I can drive your SS. Nice.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom