• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

🔧 Technical Car audio electrical guru's step in

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
i won 2nd place in Sq+ after i put in the alpine DSP im pretty sure it was 1997/98

going for raw db was pointless, i grew up in socal, home of the "cram a van full of subs and let er rip"

this was when guys would have 4-10 alternators back before people had stacked regulator HO alternators.

dancing minitrucks with sound systems was soooo common

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Well as you found out it works for the smaller stuff...it does not work when you're playing with the big dogs/amps
Not necessarily true, maybe with the newer shit. I had a box chevy caprice with 8-12's in it. Ran 2- Kicker 2500-1 and 2- Kicker 600/1 (iirc) amps and each amp was grounded separately the same way my amp now is grounded. I want to say it was all 4 gauge as well as this was probably 15yrs ago and 0 gauge wasnt really a thing around here

But I get it, my ground sucks and once I get it fixed I'll take it as lesson learned. They say you cant teach an old dog new tricks, well you guys just did lol

Reactions: Rdrnnr

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Not necessarily true, maybe with the newer shit. I had a box chevy caprice with 8-12's in it. Ran 2- Kicker 2500-1 and 2- Kicker 600/1 (iirc) amps and each amp was grounded separately the same way my amp now is grounded. I want to say it was all 4 gauge as well as this was probably 15yrs ago and 0 gauge wasnt really a thing around here

But I get it, my ground sucks and once I get it fixed I'll take it as lesson learned. They say you cant teach an old dog new tricks, well you guys just did lol

you have to remember though that box caprice likely had 1/10th the insulation/rust preventers of your new tahoe, coupled with most likely 2-3 times more steel likely 4-5 times thicker throughout

daveakre

Oct 27, 2020
Elwood IL
Real Name
Dave
There's two tests to start that will get you on the right path. Try this with everything powered on and connected and it will narrow it down to either the positive or negative circuit.

20210115_180320.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info