Movie Captain Marvel

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
If Wonder Woman had the same 'backlash' from men, I could see this argument holding some weight.

Are there a bunch of interviews or something she did that put off men where she came off as feminist? I know there was one where men were complaining she didn't smile enough in the trailer. And then she uses that as a jumping platform to men are sexist pigs. Maybe one person on the internet said that she didn't smile enough and then she stereotyped all men into that?

I guess shes done a few things that are turning people off to her, mostly SJW type stuff, making comments like:

ā€œI do not need a 40-year-old white dude to tell me what didnā€™t work for him about ā€˜A Wrinkle In Time.'ā€

I guess she was complaining that the movie industry is way too many white males, especially in reviews, etc...

Honestly, I just don't think shes a great actor. :dunno:

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
IMG_0881.JPG

Atomicles

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2008
Schaumburg
Without going into it too much because of the no spoilers til Monday rule, it was passably alright. Probably one of the worst Marvel movies. Is there a reason to see this one in theatres as opposed to waiting until it comes out on Netflix or is available to pirate? Not really, unless you just like watching pretty colored lights on the big screen. But again, not a terrible movie. Let's face it. You've seen all of the other MCU movies up until now, and you're gonna watch this one anyways, so who really cares what anyone else thinks about it?

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Ok. I'll keep this short. And I'll try to be positive b/c I know how you guys jump all over me for being critical of Marvel movies.

I'll start with the good stuff first:

• The supporting cast is reason enough to see the movie. They were the real stars.
  • Some of the cinematography was great, especially some of the slow mo stuff.
  • There are a lot of little small things that tie into the entire collective of the MCU, was neat.
  • The opening Marvel "credits" was GREAT. You'll see.
  • The de-aging tech they used was ridiculous.
  • Ben Mendelsohn
  • Some of the 90s nostalgia
  • The first of the two after credits....it was actually the best part of the movie for me.

The mediocre stuff

• The story....this movie (duh) literally only exists to explain Captain Marvels inclusion in Infinity and End Game. It really wasnt all that interesting.
  • Early on, (and this will be my opinion only probably) but the first real fight scene, I got a severe case of shaky cam. It was annoying.
  • A LOT was given away in the trailers and commercials...except for the twist, which you can clearly see coming.
  • Annette Bening...just kind of a weird casting

The bad

Brie Larson. I tried to give her a chance...because I believe she could have been PERFECT casting....let me explain. She has great on screen presence....she owned the physical scenes. She looked great in costume. The problem was with her total lack of emotion through most of the movie. She barely cracks a smile more than a half smile 90% of the time. She also doesnt have the voice for a super hero...its kind of quiet and "girly"...I dont know what word I would use.

When she was showing emotion, it felt natural, a bit flirty with the audience and you could tell she was having fun....but it was used so little that youre left wondering who directed her to stop doing it...she could have been so good.

Basically, my verdict is this...if you're a ride or die MCU fan, then you'll see this regardless of what anyone says. If you are going there hoping it adds any meaningful value to the MCU, you will be letdown. If you have a passing interest for the character, wait for it to download or for HBO. If you have 2 hours to kill, maybe on $5 Tuesdays. It was adequate...best way I can describe it.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Without reading any of the stuff posted here by those who have seen it.

When RT has a 79% score by the critics, and only a 34% by the audience?

More and more I trust the audience scores.

I generally trust the audience scores more, but yeah, RT has been trying to get a hold of it, but itā€™s still bad.

I was looking through this morning and saw at least 3-4 audience reviews with half stars with the comment ā€œgirls suckā€ so yeah.

Weā€™re going to see it this afternoon, Iā€™m not a huge Brie Larson fan in general, but eehh more seeing it out of boredom.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Just got back from the movie, I agree it felt rushed and didnā€™t seem to have a clear goal. Felt predictable and a bit phoned in at times. That being said, I still thought it was entertaining and worthwhile. Certainly not the best MCU movie, but I wouldnā€™t put it at the bottom either by any stretch. I would say a middling effort.

I would say the ~70% RT critic reviews would be pretty accurate

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info