yo-dawg-i-heard-you-like-google-so-i-googled-google-on-google.jpg

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
That holds true if you buy within cook and live in cook. You can buy outside of cook for a small tax break, but outside of that it doesnt matter. And wont matter for BRU at this point. But I see what you are saying. All I have been saying is that the days of you having to handle your own taxes and registration are over unless you buy from some dirt water used car lot in another state half way across the country. Any franchise dealer should be able to handle all of this, and at the very least collect the taxes and reg fees for you so you can roll them into a loan, and just leave the mailing of forms to you. But you would have your bill of sale with all the money paid on it.

I just bought my Cruze from a dealer. I bet I'll get a bill in the mail from Crook county

BrianG

Big Dick Team Octane
Oct 5, 2008
Streamwood
Real Name
Brian G
Nope he'll get one. I got one for my Grand Am after titling it at a currency exchange and [MENTION=653]BrianG[/MENTION] got one after buying out in dekalb.

From my research, I'll have to pay the full Cook County tax. It sucks. I just would prefer to deal with it only once at the dealership and not at the DMV. I guess that's a question for the dealership.

The bill we ended up getting was not a sales tax bill, it was Cook County's bullshit "Use Tax" bill. When you buy a car from a private party in a different county, then register it in Cook, Cook hits you directly with this shit.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
So you are trying to tell me than an IL dealer did not collect your county tax? Yeah no. That would not be legal. IL dealers are obligated to collect your home county taxes when you buy out of county. So I'd need to see the buyers order on that one my friend.
No this is an extra tax. See below

This is exactly what I got for the Grand Am. I think you had to pay 250 bucks IIRC?

Mine would've been 5 bucks.

My Cruze will be 122 dollars

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
Just like you said, thats the use tax bill not sales tax. If you bought in Dekalb and lived in dekalb it would have been 6.5%. If you did the same but live in cook then it was like Bruce said 7.XX% plus you catch that use tax. But that should be it.

Yea I don't believe I said its the sales tax. it's an extra crook county bullshit tax because they're idiots and cant manage their money

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
No this is an extra tax. See below

This is exactly what I got for the Grand Am. I think you had to pay 250 bucks IIRC?

Mine would've been 5 bucks.

My Cruze will be 122 dollars

Yes. This is exactly what I have been saying. Maybe you and I have been saying the same thing all along...lol But I thought you meant he would get a sales tax bill in the mail. And I know he shouldnt if they calculate the Cook Co sales taxes correctly. But the use tax is a whole other ball game, and that I think we agree on....shit..lol

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
When I bought my Fagstang in Plainfield, they asked what county I was in which was Lake at the time. The tacked on Lake county's tax. When I bought my quad in Wisconsin, they didn't charge me any tax and actually gave me the WI title for the quad. IL "will" "collect" their tax when I "get" an IL title.

So, either you pay the tax up there and the difference when you register it in IL or you pay nothing up there and the full amount on registration. At least that's how I see it.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
When I bought my Fagstang in Plainfield, they asked what county I was in which was Lake at the time. The tacked on Lake county's tax. When I bought my quad in Wisconsin, they didn't charge me any tax and actually gave me the WI title for the quad. IL "will" "collect" their tax when I "get" an IL title.

So, either you pay the tax up there and the difference when you register it in IL or you pay nothing up there and the full amount on registration. At least that's how I see it.

Power sports stuff is different if you dont need to register for plates. I think that was the difference.

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
So after talking with the people at my work it looks like we take care of the "use tax" for our customers as a courtesy to our customers. It is an option for dealers to do I guess.

My guess is why car dealers don't do it is because people haggle price out the door more than big trucks. My Cruze was listed at 11,900 online but haggled at 12k out the door cash. I finally got it for 12250. But now I am going to get that "use tax" bill in the mail for 122. Great....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info