Buying a car from a Wisconsin dealership

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I'm looking at a car for the wife in Wisconsin. I live in Chicago so my understanding is that I pay the Wisconsin sales tax, and then file a form when I register the vehicle here that will also include paying tax that is the difference between the Wisconsin tax and Chicago's. Does that sound correct? I'll be paying 8.5% even though the county in Wisc is 5.1%.

Can a Wisconsin dealer process Chicago tax? Or am I stuck paying it separately when I register the car.

Also, how does the license plate situation work? I'm guessing I'm solo on that as well?

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
From tax.illinois.gov

What if I purchase or lease a vehicle from an out-of-state dealer, lending institution, leasing company, or other retailer?
When an Illinois resident purchases a vehicle from an out-of-state dealer and will title the car in Illinois, the sale and subsequent tax due is reported on Form RUT-25 when you bring the vehicle into Illinois. You should attach a copy of the bill of sale as proof of the purchase price.

RUT-25
http://www.illinoisdealers.com/archive/pdf/RUT-25 Handout Sample.pdf

SinisterSHO

Tame Racing Driver
Jul 20, 2007
I didn't pay anything in Wisconsin when I bought my g8. Took the title to license service and told them I paid 14,500 for it and paid the Illinois sales tax.

If you can, fill it out yourself, I'm guessing the dealership won't have it. The people at the DMV won't give a shit what you paid, and unless it changed, you pay significantly less if you pay under 15k. Might be a little trickier with a brand new vehicle, tho.

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
I bought my truck in Hazelwood MO... just outside of St Louis.

They had a lot of experience selling to people from IL because they were close to the border.

I had a temp sticker / plate from MO, I received a temp plate from IL a few weeks later and then finally received my actual plates.

I paid the Kane County sales tax % even though I purchased out of state.

I did NOT have to do / file any additional paperwork in IL

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
2012-2014 Subaru Impreza 2.0 hatchback

It aces safety tests, gets 36 mpg on the highway and has Subaru's unstoppable AWD. My wife got a new job that includes commuting from Chicago to Oak Brook a few days a week so we have to buy her a car.

Our neighborhood's snow removal is a joke so it's a no-brainer to go with Subaru. I'll also throw on set of winter tires when the time comes and never have to dig out the shovel :rofl:

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
couple threads on this, if your buying from an out state dealer (and probably private) you only pay the IL out of state tax which is 7%. (or at least was 7% in '13)

make sure you don't assume its the county you live in, I did that and messed up the paper work because Kane was 7.25% at the time

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
couple threads on this, if your buying from an out state dealer (and probably private) you only pay the IL out of state tax which is 7%. (or at least was 7% in '13)

make sure you don't assume its the county you live in, I did that and messed up the paper work because Kane was 7.25% at the time

I'll look into that. Thanks, Brad.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Thanks, Gav. That would be great if I could do everything from the Wisc dealer.

Yes, the WI dealer will charge you tax based off of your IL/crook county sales tax. When I was going to buy that mustang from Galpin a few years ago in CA, they were going to handle the taxes for me. They just needed to know the % which is easy to find out. Most states do this now. That was old news back in the day when you could buy tax free out of state and only pay taxes when you registered in your home state.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
2013 doesn't seem like old news.

although disclaimer, all my information comes from the elgin dmv, take it for what its worth :rofl:

although 7% probably beats out all the counties current rates if that is still the rate.

Im speaking from my experience from when I was in the business from '97 to '00 and a few of the dealers I was at, plus the ones I had buddies at all did this. Again this is my personal experience. But I have purchased a few cars out of WI and IN since then and never had an issue with them collecting IL tax while in the box. Meaning when you are signing papers.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
2012-2014 Subaru Impreza 2.0 hatchback

It aces safety tests, gets 36 mpg on the highway and has Subaru's unstoppable AWD. My wife got a new job that includes commuting from Chicago to Oak Brook a few days a week so we have to buy her a car.

Our neighborhood's snow removal is a joke so it's a no-brainer to go with Subaru. I'll also throw on set of winter tires when the time comes and never have to dig out the shovel :rofl:

So sensible, so logical, so adult.... what are we becoming?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info