Buying a car from a Wisconsin dealership

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Nope he'll get one. I got one for my Grand Am after titling it at a currency exchange and [MENTION=653]BrianG[/MENTION] got one after buying out in dekalb.

Not if they handle the taxes and registration for him. They should especially being an WI dealer. Its hit or miss the farther away from IL you go. But an IA, WI or IN dealer and even MI dealers should have no issue handling the TTL for an IL deal, and that means no trips to the DMV or currency exchange.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
From my research, I'll have to pay the full Cook County tax. It sucks. I just would prefer to deal with it only once at the dealership and not at the DMV. I guess that's a question for the dealership.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
You don't know Cook County, you don't live here.

It's fucked.

I'm glad I don't know. The chances of me living in Crook County rival the chances that Obama admits he's a Muslim.

AP_NYC_train_derailment_jt_131130_16x9_992.jpg

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
From my research, I'll have to pay the full Cook County tax. It sucks. I just would prefer to deal with it only once at the dealership and not at the DMV. I guess that's a question for the dealership.

Wait Im confused?

As I said, the dealer should charge you FULL TTL based off of crook county tax %. They know this. Shouldnt be a problem. Same thing happens if you ventured out here to mchenry county to buy a car and you lived in cook. They would charge you cook taxes.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Wait Im confused?

As I said, the dealer should charge you FULL TTL based off of crook county tax %. They know this. Shouldnt be a problem. Same thing happens if you ventured out here to mchenry county to buy a car and you lived in cook. They would charge you cook taxes.

So they'll file the RUT-25, then. That sound right?

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
From what I remember its only a couple years old this tax They send you a bill in the mail for a 1% of the purchase price.

Again. If the dealer calculates your IL cook county taxes correctly, why would you get a bill for anything? Im so cunfused as to what you are talking about>? Not being a dick, but you have to assume that a WI dealer fairly close to the IL boarder probably does this as much if not more than they do WI deals.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
So they'll file the RUT-25, then. That sound right?

The CA dealer was not going to file this for me, but they were going to collect the money for it. Then you file the form. But its already paid.

As for the WI dealer they should be able to do all this for you. At the very least, they will collect the money from you and it will all be in the bill of sale that you submit with that form if you need to file it.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
I lived there for 7 years and bought probably 7 cars while living there. We relocated to mchenry county but not for sales tax savings...

Things have gotten much worse recently. Including the new cook county tax where they send you the letter in the mail. I wouldn't expect the other states to understand and charge for it.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
they are different rates, you live and buy in cook county, 8%

you live in cook, but buy anywhere else its going to be different, looks like 7.25 for the WI purchase?

Metro Chicago Vehicle Sales Taxes - Consumer Guide: Sales Tax On Cars

That holds true if you buy within cook and live in cook. You can buy outside of cook for a small tax break, but outside of that it doesnt matter. And wont matter for BRU at this point. But I see what you are saying. All I have been saying is that the days of you having to handle your own taxes and registration are over unless you buy from some dirt water used car lot in another state half way across the country. Any franchise dealer should be able to handle all of this, and at the very least collect the taxes and reg fees for you so you can roll them into a loan, and just leave the mailing of forms to you. But you would have your bill of sale with all the money paid on it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info