Brag / Complain About a DIY Project Thread

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
Donating Member
Reaction score
All I fucking wanted to do was paint this room. I take the outlet covers off and a couple blank covers and see a black wire, bare copper stripped end with a little electrical tape partially covering it in a metal box. Get the tester and it’s fucking live. I cut power and pull that out I start to pull out outlets, half of which were upside down, pull out switches. It’s a fucking train wreck. Switches installed with jumpers made of lamp cord and held together with duct tape. A light in the ceiling that was wired with what looked like stranded black speaker wire. I pulled new NM (romex) for the ceiling light, replaced 2 two gang boxes, all the switches, outlets, with new wire nuts and all properly installed. Now I can finally get to painting.

Old junk…
View attachment 106011

Nice and new…
View attachment 106012

so much for taking half the day to paint and work in the garage afterwards.
Sounds like my house in Streamwood and I'm sure BADAZZTEALCOBRA BADAZZTEALCOBRA has seen that shit as well lol

BADAZZTEALCOBRA

TCG Elite Member
Donating Member
Reaction score
All I fucking wanted to do was paint this room. I take the outlet covers off and a couple blank covers and see a black wire, bare copper stripped end with a little electrical tape partially covering it in a metal box. Get the tester and it’s fucking live. I cut power and pull that out I start to pull out outlets, half of which were upside down, pull out switches. It’s a fucking train wreck. Switches installed with jumpers made of lamp cord and held together with duct tape. A light in the ceiling that was wired with what looked like stranded black speaker wire. I pulled new NM (romex) for the ceiling light, replaced 2 two gang boxes, all the switches, outlets, with new wire nuts and all properly installed. Now I can finally get to painting.

Old junk…
View attachment 106011

Nice and new…
View attachment 106012

so much for taking half the day to paint and work in the garage afterwards.
All that work and you put in those nasty ass switches? :s00ls:

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
All that work and you put in those nasty ass switches? :s00ls:
Lol.. well wife likes the standard switches so that is what goes in.

Ohh and now after I do all this wiring the wife wants me to split the fan and light switch and just get rid of the weird 2nd light in this room. seriously I mentioned that to her this morning and she said no. 🙄

Fish

From the quiet street
Donating Member
Reaction score
Lol.. well wife likes the standard switches so that is what goes in.

Ohh and now after I do all this wiring the wife wants me to split the fan and light switch and just get rid of the weird 2nd light in this room. seriously I mentioned that to her this morning and she said no. 🙄
Im slowly realizing that I have to just do things and let my wife see them. Then she understands and agrees. Otherwise my ideas are all shit, along with my existence and I have no idea WTF I am talking about.

Ok, maybe not that bad, but I still have to just do it and let her see my vision in order for her to agree. Worse case, she doesnt like it and Ill "fix it" after I tackle other things that need to happen and hopefully by then it will be too late and she forgets.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
Donating Member
Reaction score
Im slowly realizing that I have to just do things and let my wife see them. Then she understands and agrees. Otherwise my ideas are all shit, along with my existence and I have no idea WTF I am talking about.

Ok, maybe not that bad, but I still have to just do it and let her see my vision in order for her to agree. Worse case, she doesnt like it and Ill "fix it" after I tackle other things that need to happen and hopefully by then it will be too late and she forgets.

Same. So many times the g/f doesn't have the vision to predict how something will go, or look. I'll have to mock it up to show her it won't work, after she is adamant that "it'll be fine, it's how I used to do it."

Oh, you mean all those things in your condo I had to fix before you could sell it?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom