bonneville gxp ??

EineKatze

No Stress
Reaction score
I have never had very much fun with the northstar. If its anything like the cadi set up, be aware that car is going to try your patience at every turn. Here's hoping you have maybe just a little more room in the bonneville.

framos242

Drink the shot, pussy....
Reaction score
Problems with the ISS, fog lights burning up real fast, rust from water accumulation in the spare tire well, window regulators not working properly are common problems.

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Reaction score
Everything is great about the GXP.... except the general reliability. I wanted to get one 5 years ago until I read up on the problems, and the bills associated with fixing them. Also hard to find good tech's for that engine as well because you pop the hood and they all go: Wut.

Other problems to look out for:

Water crossover gaskets and waterpump problems
Oil and coolant leak prone
Shitty rotors
Gas mileage 22 on the highway, and 16 around town (real world numbers).

I'd get a SSEI before a GXP, but I will say the GXP looks sweet and has lots of gizmos, and hard to beat that V8 rumble. Although I've read some people who have had GXP's with no problems at all (except be prepared to spend money at the pump) and love their cars. So could be a crapshoot.

BlizzardTC

its dark and i hear laughing
Reaction score
I've got a buddy that had one. replaced the motor once and we always had the hood open for something different. He traded it for an ls4 gp.

TommyGloves

Donating Member
Reaction score
As an owner of a 03 SSEi, some other stuff to look out for is water leaks. The vapor barrier in the door separates from the adhesive and will soak the interior carpet when it rains/door fills up with water. That one doesn't have a sunroof, so the sunroof drains won't be an issue with leaking into the car UNDER the carpet. Check for the typical rust in the rear quarter below the gas door.

Overall, they're not bad cars. I like the styling of the GXP better than the SSEi. There isn't any aftermarket that I'm aware of and I don't think anyone ever cracked the PCM for tuning.

Lastly, the one in the listing doesn't have heated seats (which is weird.)

boogeyman

T-BURD
Reaction score
Madtuner in DeKalb does tunes on them. I really like the car a lot and could use a 4 door car now with 2 kids

Slow Buick

eat ass drive fast
Reaction score
try bonnevillepro.com and pontiacbonnevilleclub.com , just watch out for the tuff guy admin with two green bonnevilles. if you talk about turbos > blowers , insta-ban.

Slow Buick

eat ass drive fast
Reaction score
and if you say any females on the site has a sweet ass...well, that's also an insta-ban. :jg:

boogeyman

T-BURD
Reaction score
I found a great deal o a Subaru legacy wagon I may just go that route lol. The same dealer has a ssei that's pretty nice but I'm not huge on maroon

boogeyman

T-BURD
Reaction score
Is a grand Prix gxp any better with the 5.3 in it . I love those cars figured a cam dod delete and a nice exhaust and I'd be good to go

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
The 5.3 is a good motor, the car is meh just like every other Grand Prix, if you just want a v8 in a Grand Prix then go for it, if you want it to be pretty quick a loaded gtp with bolt ons would be faster than a gxp and basicly the same interior

boogeyman

T-BURD
Reaction score
i want a nice 4 dr to drive everyday. the 5.3 is ls based so it has good roots im not sure what trans they have in them, i love v8 sound and the gxp looks very good just wondering if the GP is less problematic then the bonneville id much rather have something with a ls based engine than a northstar anyday

Turbocharged400sbc

Welllllllllll ya knowwwwwww.....
Reaction score
it has the same trans that the 3800SC cars do

except with the v8 they break even more

so many have been rebuilt your not even assured of it still having the V8 specific internals that were "supposed" to make it strong enough for it.

brandoLSX

"I live my life a quarter mile at a time"
Reaction score
Sounds like a Bonneville is a bad idea, I would look into other Ideas...

Turbocharged400sbc

Welllllllllll ya knowwwwwww.....
Reaction score
i like the bonneville gxp...the grandprix GXP sucks

GM woulda had a winner if the fucks had put the 4t80e behind the ls4 in the GP or put the LS4 instead of the N* in the bonnie

boogeyman

T-BURD
Reaction score
it will have a warranty lol. i have 2 kids a long drive to work everyday and a big dog, a subaru forester xt or legacy wagon seems like a good fit

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom