Bad engine noise

maineiac

Reaction score
Last night on way home from work,on hiway,motor started making very bad noise,seems to be coming from left side of motor up high,almost sounds like no oil,sounds like my 7.3 diesel,all fluids full no overheat,no codes,seemed to run fine,no loss of power , any ideas?Scared to drive!!!!!!!

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Reaction score
Is it toward the front, rear or all around?

Most likely the timing chain guide if it still runs fine.

But, it could be anything. There are a lot of components up high in a mod motor.

maineiac

Reaction score
all around ,sounds like from under valve cover,but hard to tell,doesnt get louder with RPMs almost settles down a bit,sounds like i can hear valvetrain moving and a louder thunk inconcistantly.

maineiac

Reaction score
I will take a vid and post when i can raining wicked hard right now.

maineiac

Reaction score
Waiting to see what it is first but if its too bad it would make a great project car to put a new motor in bigger and blown.

P40E

Reaction score
Run it with the valve covers off . Feel if any of the rockers are loose .

maineiac

Reaction score
i think i'll look into the timing chain tensioners and guides first,i can only hope.

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure a follower can be loose or fall out . :dunno:
It can fall off in which it would make no noise.
But it would not be loose unless there was an oiling problem and the lifter didnt pump up.

OP's car is fucked. :pedobear:

Jon01

Muthafucka Jones
Reaction score
Definitely bottom end. That motor is fucked.
Put a shovel and bag of cat litter in the trunk and the title in the console.
That way when it decides to put the insides on the outside you can clean all the parts up with the shovel and place them in the trunk (in case the new owner wants them), spread some cat litter to soak up the oil off of the highway and sign/leave the title in the car when your ride shows up.

rz79

Reaction score
That way when it decides to put the insides on the outside you can clean all the parts up with the shovel and place them in the trunk (in case the new owner wants them), spread some cat litter to soak up the oil off of the highway and sign/leave the title in the car when your ride shows up.

MMBLUE

Reaction score

This ^^^had me laughing hysterically. My family is now convinced that I'm nucking futs.

maineiac

Reaction score
Is an 04 mach one motor interchangable,same block ,same heads?

musclemerc

Reaction score
Yes. Same block and heads

See if you can find an Aviator motor. They come with a 3 bolt tensioner (timing cover) and revised heads

MMBLUE

Reaction score
+1 on the Aviator motor.. Try to search junkyards for a totaled one. As soon as anyone tags an item with mustang or cobra, for some reason the price doubles.

When I was looking, I found it best to look through local channels. Junk yards have a network that they work through and usually can find anything you need within a 100 mile radius.

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Reaction score
You still need to swap your front dress over the the new engine. I wouldn't use the aviator cover.

4DoorBlackTop

Reaction score
Aviator engine works just fine here. Yes you will need to reuse your top end.

I put about 5,000 miles on my barn find Aviator engine with around 100,000 miles when when I got it. It works fine.

If you go this route, be sure to put in new plugs and ESPECIALLY C.O.P.S.. You don't want it misfiring over something so minimal.

maineiac

Reaction score
Found broken guide and bad tesioner on top chain,hope that fixes it parts arrive tomorrow.

maineiac

Reaction score
guides and tensioner fixed,noiw more bad news,little to no oil pressure in heads on pass side seems to be plenty of pressure in lower block and drivers side heads,any ideas?

maineiac

Reaction score
How easy should the restricter tube come out,is it pressed in ,the tube wants to break instead of come out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom