ATV shopping questions and guidance.

Tight Lines

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 18, 2014
Missouri
I know there was a thread about a month ago but I can’t seem to find it. Since moving to St Louis and out n the woods, I find the need for a ATV purchase. I am looking probably used but you never know. Here are the things I would like to do with it to help narrow it down.

Any help would be great as far as power, brand and options you would suggest.

- Need to pull logs an cut down trees up hills (used a Honda Foreman 400 and it did ok for the current round of trees)
- Plow snow
- Pull a lawn trailer
- Cruise around too
- Prefer 4x4 & Auto trans

I would like to keep it below $5000 if possible

I saw this one local, any thoughts? Also, any thing to look for when shopping used?

As well as this one.

Last edited:

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
With the price of the Polaris 450 these days I think its would be pretty hard to buy a used machine at that price point. BUT plowing might be easier with something with more torque.

Found this after a QUICK search. Not sure it is the best deal but alot cheaper than the link you posted. Just get a out the door quote, not sure if this dealer is anything like like Fuel Powersports. BUT Some dealers get you in with a low price then hit you with bullshit fee's. I got a quote for a Polaris 450 a few years ago from Fuel. ($4600 priced on the website) Well that quickly turned into almost $6,000 after tax, and $1200 prep and doc fee. Kinda excessive if you ask me.

Edit: Didn't see you were in Missouri

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Polaris 850s/1000s are thirstyyyyyyy. 5gal tank on my Scrambler 1k was barely 60 miles before the gauge blinking at me.

Honestly, there's no brand you can go wrong with. Polaris' Sportsman 450, Yamaha's Grizzly/Kodiak 700, Honda anything, they're all great machines that all offer 4x4 and hi/lo gears for cruising and towing/plowing.

As Panda said, you can get brand new Polaris Sportsman 450 and Yamaha Kodiak 700s for the 5k mark. The used market is out of their fucking mind selling beat junk for hundreds less than a brand new machine, but it makes sense.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
brand new 450ho for 4300$ in mi. .

or

brand new 570 for 4800

Reactions: Tight Lines

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Tight Lines Tight Lines, these guys can't be too far from you at all.

$3994- i just had to pay IL sales tax through them when i bought. no goofy outlandish freight/prep bs like PANDA PANDA talkin about.

BeerOrGasoline

Me & Dead Owls Don't Give a Hoot.
Mar 15, 2009
New Lenox, IL
I wouldn't be too concerned about power when plowing. I have a 570 I plow with and it'll spin all four before it bogs out trying to push powder. I didn't even consider 850s+ because they were way overkill for my application which is dead on to what you wanna do. Plow, pull shit, trail rides every now & then.

As stated in the other thread the ONLY feature I truly enjoy with plowing and recommend is Electric Power Steering. Is it required? Not at all. Is it super nice to have when you're rocking the bars back & forth in tight spaces over and over again, very much so.

95SC

4 cams
TCG Sponsor
Sep 10, 2006
TN
Anyting that's FI , stay away from ATvs with carbs unless you want to work on it . I have 2013 550 Grizzly , plows snow perfectly , never had a single issue with it . I bought it brand new because it was no point of buying used , 3-4 year old ATVs were like $1500 cheaper then new

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods

$3994- i just had to pay IL sales tax through them when i bought. no goofy outlandish freight/prep bs like PANDA PANDA talkin about.

$3799 for non-eps 450 at link I posted. But yes not sure of out the door price.

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006

Another vote for Abernathy's. They also sell Honda and I believe Yamaha.

Sales tax? Farm use only...

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Yeah... then you go to register it and get charged tax.

not necessarily

a few things here...
1. who knows what missouri does if anything at all..

2. if it's illinois, it's not like il has sxs registration or anything- a buddy bought a sxs from a dealer in wisco- they didn't charge him tax, il doesn't register SXS's... IL is none the wiser he bought it. paid 0 sales tax.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Depends on where you ride and if registration/trail permits are required I guess.

i registered mine to wisconsin no issues... even if you didn't want to do this, you could just get a non-resident trail pass for like 27$ or whatever it is

wisco registration was enough to get legal in wyoming & montana ... so, good 'nuff for me.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
i registered mine to wisconsin no issues... even if you didn't want to do this, you could just get a non-resident trail pass for like 27$ or whatever it is

wisco registration was enough to get legal in wyoming & montana ... so, good 'nuff for me.

You still paid sales tax somewhere tho. correct?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info