ATV shopping questions and guidance.

Tight Lines

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 18, 2014
Missouri
You get that much snow in Missouri that you need a ATV with a plow? lol

Well, I haven’t been here yet for a winter but my family has and they get snow. However, even with a little snow my driveway is HUGE and I am old now....want easy. Lol

See what I mean about used shit? It's a 2006 and he's asking literally brand new Sportsman pricing. :rofl:

I would go buy the Sportsman 450 so you have a warranty and know the history. There's nothing wrong with those 660 model years, those were actually pretty stout motors. He's just out of his mind on the price.

I can probably get it for 3k but I hear what you are saying. I went to two places locally and I am not walking out the door under 4K for a Sportsman 450.

That's like saying you can buy a new V6 Ram tradesman for the price of a used F-150 Platinum...

I totally get that. There might be a better comparison but yeah these used ATV’s are insane. I found a 2002 Suzuki Eiger 400 4x4 for $3000. I offered him $1800 and he said not a chance. I said what would you really take and he said $2950. I literally LOL’d.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Well, I haven’t been here yet for a winter but my family has and they get snow. However, even with a little snow my driveway is HUGE and I am old now....want easy. Lol

I can probably get it for 3k but I hear what you are saying. I went to two places locally and I am not walking out the door under 4K for a Sportsman 450.

I totally get that. There might be a better comparison but yeah these used ATV’s are insane. I found a 2002 Suzuki Eiger 400 4x4 for $3000. I offered him $1800 and he said not a chance. I said what would you really take and he said $2950. I literally LOL’d.

Did you get an otd price from abernathy's yet?

Reactions: PANDA

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I actually did and they kept telling me to come in for their best price. I told them, I am not driving 4 hours without something in an email. I will call them again tomorrow to see if I can talk to a manager.
When I asked earlier I filled out a request... I'll see what they say to me.. Might just text my sales person tomorrow

Reactions: Tight Lines

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
13 years ago, i plowed a local mall with a buddy, he was on an early 2000's 400 sportsman and i was on a 500, neither had power steering... we each plowed more every time we showed up there, than most people will plow all season, and it was totally fine.

likely one of the most fun jobs ill have ever too. hawthorn never knew what hit them. :rofl:

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
So a Sportsman 450 with a 48” plow and a winch installed out the door is 6,200. No EPS, is that a deal breaker?

The EPS models are considerably more. I guess you need to ask yourself is it worth it? Do you know what the ATV itself costs? Thats probably close to $800 in accessories not including install.

I plowed my driveway a few times with my neighbors 04 500 non-eps. I didn't really notice or thought it would work better with EPS.

Tight Lines

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 18, 2014
Missouri
The EPS was more for the wife but she thinks it would be fine without it. They had 4 2019 Sportsman 450’s at the start of today and now there is only this one left. This was where we started:
450 - $5600
Plow and Winch - $1100
labor to install - $500
Total - $7200

I told them I can’t do that and my Budget was $5k. I said unless you would have to come down a lot more. They came back with $6199 out the door with everything. I said that is still to much. I asked if I can have the parts and take another $500 off for labor and they said that they would but thats it. So I can get a Sportsman 450 with a plow and winch for $5700 as long as we finance. That actually works as I only have the $5k, so we will make payments for a little bit then pay it off. I told them I want the weekend to decide between EPS and no EPS. They were fine with that.

So that’s where we are at. I will have to look at the install of the winch and plow to see if I can do it as I am not sure what it entails. Here’s the one we hope to get. Thanks for all the help along the way. This may still make a great thread for any one else looking to buy.
5D20DE2B-AF85-4080-880A-0F91E03B09DC.jpeg

Reactions: RICH17 and PANDA

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Winch and plow install takes all of 45 minutes to an hour. I've replaced solenoids on winches and taken the frame on/off for cleaning multiple times on a Sportsman frame. The wiring harness is already built into the normal harness and has quick connects for everything. You just plug everything in together and tighten the fasteners on the solenoid.

The hardest part is finding where you placed those plastic pop rivets to put the plastics back on.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
The EPS was more for the wife but she thinks it would be fine without it. They had 4 2019 Sportsman 450’s at the start of today and now there is only this one left. This was where we started:
450 - $5600
Plow and Winch - $1100
labor to install - $500
Total - $7200

I told them I can’t do that and my Budget was $5k. I said unless you would have to come down a lot more. They came back with $6199 out the door with everything. I said that is still to much. I asked if I can have the parts and take another $500 off for labor and they said that they would but thats it. So I can get a Sportsman 450 with a plow and winch for $5700 as long as we finance. That actually works as I only have the $5k, so we will make payments for a little bit then pay it off. I told them I want the weekend to decide between EPS and no EPS. They were fine with that.

So that’s where we are at. I will have to look at the install of the winch and plow to see if I can do it as I am not sure what it entails. Here’s the one we hope to get. Thanks for all the help along the way. This may still make a great thread for any one else looking to buy.
View attachment 43204

Id get some more quotes. Shit that link I posted was for $3799 for a 450. Even if they charged another $1200 on taxes and bullshit you still would be at about $5K. Yeah coming up to Chicago or Wisconsin will cost money but it will also help you negotiate if you show them what another dealer can offer.

Tight Lines

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 18, 2014
Missouri
Winch and plow install takes all of 45 minutes to an hour. I've replaced solenoids on winches and taken the frame on/off for cleaning multiple times on a Sportsman frame. The wiring harness is already built into the normal harness and has quick connects for everything. You just plug everything in together and tighten the fasteners on the solenoid.

The hardest part is finding where you placed those plastic pop rivets to put the plastics back on.

Thanks, after watching a few videos I will be installing myself.

Id get some more quotes. Shit that link I posted was for $3799 for a 450. Even if they charged another $1200 on taxes and bullshit you still would be at about $5K. Yeah coming up to Chicago or Wisconsin will cost money but it will also help you negotiate if you show them what another dealer can offer.

I have 3 quote requests out, waiting to hear back. According to the place I went too, incentives end Monday on the Sportsman 450.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
I'm a risk taker and a broke ass. I'd go for that 660.

It's all in how it was taken care of. I knew nothing about mine but the oil looked cleaned. I rolled the dice.
Paid like $3500 6 years ago, it had maybe 3k miles on it.

It can sit for 3 months and still starts better than my fuel injected raptor.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
abernathy's price on the 2019 450 to me was $3,994 without any effort/negotiating/talking. i asked for a "more personalized quote" this morning.

MO is 4.225% tax from what im reading and 8.50$ title, 10.25 registration...

which gets it to $4,181.50

polaris accessories has the mount & plow for ~$400 msrp and the winch is $400 also.

but this is polaris branded stuff, without trying to find a deal or anything, either way, you're a click below 5k but installing it yourself.

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
Reactions: Yaj Yak

Tight Lines

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 18, 2014
Missouri
abernathy's price on the 2019 450 to me was $3,994 without any effort/negotiating/talking. i asked for a "more personalized quote" this morning.

MO is 4.225% tax from what im reading and 8.50$ title, 10.25 registration...

which gets it to $4,181.50

polaris accessories has the mount & plow for ~$400 msrp and the winch is $400 also.

but this is polaris branded stuff, without trying to find a deal or anything, either way, you're a click below 5k but installing it yourself.

I spoke to them today, unfortunately that price was only good today as the rebates end today. I tried to put a deposit down but they wouldn’t take it. The other problem is this is only available on 2019’s. I believe the guy said they have only two left as I told him I could be there Friday, he said they won’t last till Friday.not that it matters but I also have to pay county tax of 8%. My quote out the door from Abernathys was $4405. I am hoping the rebates are bigger tomorrow and I can get out Thursday night or Friday, as I am off, before all the weekenders get out to buy the rest of the 2019’s.

Unfortunately all the local Powersports dealers are closed today, so I couldn’t negotiate with them. I will see what happens tomorrow. There are a couple EPS 450’s and 2 or 3 Base ones Locally. Hope to have one before the weekend.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info