APR stops selling stage 2 tunes and downpipes | EPA crackdown coming?

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
Saw this break yesterday....seems its really happening. Could an EPA crackdown be coming soon for other tuners? This could be huge, and not in a good way. Or is APR's parent company cracking down.

1596646274181.png

DanJoy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
APR was bought by Holley or Holley’s parent company and this has been in motion ever since is what I read. Holley didnt want to risk selling a product nationwide that wasn’t 50 state compliant. Thanks a lot California.

tinfoilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
Donating Member
Reaction score
It would be pretty shitty if it happens...

Although I would expect the older modded car market to skyrocket if it does. Forced to follow EPA?

Nahhh I'll just get a 30yr old body that is exempt...

DanJoy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It’s a possibility. I didn’t realize how much they’ve cracked down on the EGR delete diesel market. My buddy has a shop and he was saying he won’t do them anymore because the fines are insane.

tinfoilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
Donating Member
Reaction score
It’s a possibility. I didn’t realize how much they’ve cracked down on the EGR delete diesel market. My buddy has a shop and he was saying he won’t do them anymore because the fines are insane.
Does the egr really make that big of a difference air quality wise?

DEEZUZ

He's/him/his/penis
Donating Member
Reaction score
This is nothing new to us (diesel guys).

Diesel emissions work and they work absolutely awesome at cleaning the air.

DanJoy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think he said the fine is $30k or something insane.

DEEZUZ

He's/him/his/penis
Donating Member
Reaction score
I've said this a dozen times.

But somewhere in Ohio they retrofitted DPF's onto the school bus fleet. Talking like dirty nasty VT365's, DT466's, and some 444's...

Within 1 year the kids attendence was almost PERFECT due to kids not calling in sick. They had record breaking attendence......

The stuff is nasty, and even though the little bit the kids take in daily isn't a whole lot, its lethal...

Pressure Ratio

Donating Member
Reaction score
Buy parts and tunes from over seas. No big deal. USPS brings in more drugs than anyone. You think they won't bring in catless downpipes? lol

My tuner is over seas. I use my phone to flash the tunes. No flashing device to purchase or have them outlaw. So that's already worked around. My car passes IL tests too.

GLADIATOR

Are you not entertained?
Donating Member
Reaction score
I think “the man” is just cracking down on VW hard. I recently got a letter from VW for my Jetta Hybrid. It states that I might have the wrong tune in my gasser. Except I ain’t bringing in the car and wasting my time, fuck them. I already took it in once to emisiones and passed.

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
Donating Member
Reaction score
I've said this a dozen times.

But somewhere in Ohio they retrofitted DPF's onto the school bus fleet. Talking like dirty nasty VT365's, DT466's, and some 444's...

Within 1 year the kids attendence was almost PERFECT due to kids not calling in sick. They had record breaking attendence......

The stuff is nasty, and even though the little bit the kids take in daily isn't a whole lot, its lethal...
I thought the DPF addressed soot/carbon emissions and DEF+EGR addressed NOx? Regardless that's pretty cool. The buses we had growing up were pretty nasty with all the shit they'd blow out the tailpipe. Nothing like getting coal rolled on you by the bus that just dropped you off.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
Donating Member
Reaction score
Kind of off topic, does anyone know if APR warranties their tunes? I had read about an APR tune for the '19 Tiguan that intrigued me. Someone had said that APR will cover any factory warranty voided by a tune. But I couldn't find anywhere on their website that said they would. I'm not talking some crazy set-up, but just an aftermarket tune on the Tiguan to get a few more lbs of boost.

EDIT: I did find something, but I don't see the Tiguan as an option...bummer.

DEEZUZ

He's/him/his/penis
Donating Member
Reaction score
I thought the DPF addressed soot/carbon emissions and DEF+EGR addressed NOx? Regardless that's pretty cool. The buses we had growing up were pretty nasty with all the shit they'd blow out the tailpipe. Nothing like getting coal rolled on you by the bus that just dropped you off.
Yes, that's how it works.

DanJoy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Kind of off topic, does anyone know if APR warranties their tunes? I had read about an APR tune for the '19 Tiguan that intrigued me. Someone had said that APR will cover any factory warranty voided by a tune. But I couldn't find anywhere on their website that said they would. I'm not talking some crazy set-up, but just an aftermarket tune on the Tiguan to get a few more lbs of boost.

EDIT: I did find something, but I don't see the Tiguan as an option...bummer.

Like you found, APR plus comes with a supplemental third party warranty that covers anything that the tune will void on your factory one. I’d look into if they have a JB4 available for the Tiguan yet. I’m trying to steer my wife in that direction as well.

blakbearddelite

Donating Member
Reaction score
They do have a JB4, but I don't know that there is any warranty protection on it. I sent a message to APR asking about Plus options for the Tiguan. It wasn't terribly clear on their website since the model does not show up under their drop down. They might offer tuning, but no warranty...especially for those models that came with 6 year/72k miles. I think I saw a post (from a third party) about that being too much a financial risk for them.

OP
Mook

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
JB4 is plug and play. Wont void your warranty b/c you just unhook it if you go to the dealer.

blakbearddelite

Donating Member
Reaction score
But I've heard that while they can't detect the device itself, they can determine by certain readings from the car that something had altered the normal range of outputs. I'm sure I'm wording that horribly. Basically, they can see that outputs fell outside the normal range that could have only resulted from ECU tampering.

OP
Mook

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
Meh, doubt it.

DEEZUZ

He's/him/his/penis
Donating Member
Reaction score
Happens in trucks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom