Apple iOS 14 - just a warning

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
If you're tempted to upgrade to iOS 14 for whatever feature(s) it might offer you, I'd wait, and then wait some more. Yes, I know, never do a new release, but security software for work demanded it. Didn't have much of a choice.

Did the upgrade to my 6s, the battery life is severely degraded. Charged to 99% last night, sat on my desk for about 12 hours untouched. Woke up to 53% battery. Maybe they confused "corona killer" with "battery killer"? It was doing so little that the battery log didn't even show activity, SMH.

Neighbor's 11 Pro has the same problem. Minimal usage, major battery drain.

I spent about 20 minutes with Apple Support, who remotely ran diagnostics and found no hardware issues. Shockingly my battery health dropped from 92% to 91% right after the upgrade, then during the course of being on the phone with them it dropped to 90%. Planned obsolescence it appears.

Note the "Last Charged to" time and the time stamp of the screen cap. I've got a ghost, a phantom, an apparition using my phone at night!.
IMG_3037.PNG

• Haha
Reactions: Lord Tin Foilhat

AngelWhite_ST

Regular
Jul 20, 2015
Real Name
TJ
Interesting. I’ve heard of it killing batteries.

I recently switched an iPhone 11 Pro a few months ago from Android, and immediately updated to iOS14 A few days ago. Haven’t noticed much.

I woke up at midnight with an 85% battery, unplugged it and went back to bed. After waking up at 7:20 to now I have 70% with moderate use.

I used to go 1.5 to 2 days without needing a charge when I first got it. I’ll try it again and see how far I can get with a full charge.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I was waiting for the 12's to drop so the 11's would drop in price. But I know quite a few people with various flavors of the X and a few with the 11 Pro and they're all having a problem. One of the X's (XS) gets really hot while charging and during use.

I'd have considered a 12, but rumor is they're decreasing battery capacity because the new A chips is supposed to be so much more efficient. I'm not sold on that, at all. Also, been hanging on to the 6s for the fingerprint reader. Was considering an SE, but it's only a slight bump over the 8 (same battery capacity, camera, etc.) though it does have wi-fi 6 and the A13 chip.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I have an iPhone XR from work and had to upgrade to the new OS. Definitely significantly worse battery.

iPhones are such garbage!
It's more of the software/iOS. My first 6s ran great on iOS 10.3.3, could get two solid days of moderate use out of it. IIRC it was a hybrid 32/64bit OS. iOS 11 came out and was a true 64 bit, and from that point on the older phones suffered. Was on a one hour phone call, using the wired earbuds that came with and the battery dropped from 93% to 20%. That's when I knew 11 was a problem and they had closed the signing for 10.3.3.

ChrisRac

Still not Italian
TCG Premium
Jan 31, 2008
Gilbert, AZ
Real Name
I Think That’s Obvious
I have the 11 ProMax and also use it heavily at work and at home. I've been at work now going on two hours and dropped only about 10% battery and that's with listening to Spotify through bluetooth on the way here. I'm on iOS 14.2 and will keep an eye on it.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Hasn't this been a strategy of Apple in the past?
Send out an update that kills the battery so you have to buy a new phone.
I know they did this on older phones.
yup and they settled because they probably knew they would get caught and cost more money

Apple denied wrongdoing and settled the nationwide case to avoid the burdens and costs of litigation, court papers show.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
The first time I dealt with this, with my first 6s and iOS 11 I spent weeks, and I mean WEEKS trying to figure out what was going on. Reloading, resetting, restoring, setting up from scratch, beta's, hours on phone with Apple Senior Support,, etc. Nothing made a difference. Swore to apple I wouldn't waste my time doing that bullshit again. They finally relented and sent me a replacement phone. That one shit the bed when iOS 13 hit. Same shit, different year. After a month of unanswered messages and calls I finally got someone higher up at Senior Support who reviewed the history, lack of response, and general all around bullshit. Said go to any Apple store, they'll be replacing the phone for you, same model and capacity.

Great, that's what I have now, and 14 fucked it. So the cycle starts over again. :mad:

• Haha

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Even though I knew it wouldn't make a difference I contacted Apple Support just to get my complaint on record. Their response, see if the next patch fixes it. I asked what confidence I should have since Apple has not once admitted that an update directly affected batteries. Just the class action suit listed above where they were throttling to "save" batteries.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Even though I knew it wouldn't make a difference I contacted Apple Support just to get my complaint on record. Their response, see if the next patch fixes it. I asked what confidence I should have since Apple has not once admitted that an update directly affected batteries. Just the class action suit listed above where they were throttling to "save" batteries.
bro its all for the environment! We are trying to save batteries! (while also trying to get you to throw away the old electronics so they can make more new electronics....for the environment!)

Reactions: Chester Copperpot

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
and android brands arent free from this either....samsung bloatware shits all over stock android.
Ya know, I had an HTC Droid Incredible 4G LTE and really liked the HTC overlay for the interface. The size and speed of the phone (at the time) was great. Then HTC and Verizon completely forgot about the phone two days after launch. Think it got one update in two years. Real shame, it was a nice phone.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Ya know, I had an HTC Droid Incredible 4G LTE and really liked the HTC overlay for the interface. The size and speed of the phone (at the time) was great. Then HTC and Verizon completely forgot about the phone two days after launch. Think it got one update in two years. Real shame, it was a nice phone.
that has always been android brands downside.....updates are inconsistent across all of them.

Unless you get the Pixel, but then you have to settle for a pixel instead of have dozens of choices. So its basically Appldroid

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
that has always been android brands downside.....updates are inconsistent across all of them.

Unless you get the Pixel, but then you have to settle for a pixel instead of have dozens of choices. So its basically Appldroid
Someone showed me an article where there in a Linux phone coming out? I was only paying half-attention so didn't get any specifics. If true, wonder how that would work.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
bro its all for the environment! We are trying to save batteries! (while also trying to get you to throw away the old electronics so they can make more new electronics....for the environment!)

Or that they put in "new and improved" chips that independent repair shops can't get ahold of because Apple told the vendor to not sell these to anyone but Apple and now you just throw away what used to be an easily fixable board.

bUt ThE eNvIrOnMeNt

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Someone showed me an article where there in a Linux phone coming out? I was only paying half-attention so didn't get any specifics. If true, wonder how that would work.
yeah, you can buy it and use it..................................BARELY

it can barely do basic phone tasks. It would be awesome if it gets to a point of daily drivability, but right now, it blows.

Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info