Anyone running a dash camera?

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
My cam will occasionally write partial files, and they just sort of sit there and take up space, and never get written over. Probably a firmware issue that was mostly solved, but for me, I should probably format more often than I do, which is like once every 6 months :rofl:

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Wow! Lots of good info here. I have been thinking about it a lot as well due to how much I drive for work.

Be careful depending on what you do. Make sure you don't run into anything legally or against company policy.

In Illinois, for instance, Uber/Lyft drivers need to be conscious of wiretapping laws, and turn off the audio. I don't know what Uber and/or Lyft have to say about the use of dash cams.

Idoma

The Man, The Myth, The Legend
Jun 13, 2012
Plainfield
Be careful depending on what you do. Make sure you don't run into anything legally or against company policy.

In Illinois, for instance, Uber/Lyft drivers need to be conscious of wiretapping laws, and turn off the audio. I don't know what Uber and/or Lyft have to say about the use of dash cams.

Oh, I get what you are saying. What I meant to say is I drive a lot to and from work. I live in Plainfield and commute to close to Midway everyday. So being on the road so much, I have been in some hairy situation over the years and a camera would have helped.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake

is that the case? i thought il was a one party permission state (so you, as the owner) - i recorded a call with an exec once (now posted on youtube) he didn't know about, and as i recall that was the case at the time. he was actually in georgia and i was in the philippines so i'm not even sure whose laws would have even applied, really.

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
I'm trying to find one with gauge overlays that would pull from obd 2. Does anyone make a cheaper Waylens or Garmin virb x?

I've avoided the GPS or anything that shows/records my speed. Quite frequently, I am exceeding the speed limit by at least a few mph. I don't want my own video to be used against me in an incident that otherwise would have been the fault of the other person.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora

So this guy I know sent me this from his dashcam today. Glad I have one in my car as the police even told him that it would be really good to have for insurance reasons even though the police couldn’t use it for ticket purposes.He is fine and the car has a dinged stock wheel, lightly brushed bumper and fender as well as a cracked $900 headlight but otherwise fine and drove home under its own power with a slightly off center steering wheel.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
They didn’t consciously make the decision. One minute they were thinking about getting home and hanging their Christmas lights, and the next they were stepping out of the car and explaining to a lady who didn’t signal, that signaling doesn’t give you the right of way :rofl:

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Bumping this back up, going to be going on a trip in a little over a month and have been thinking about getting a dash camera for awhile anyway so figure this might be a good time to finally get one....

What are some of the good ones out there?

Realistically, would love to grab a few extra cards as well and record the entire trip to the Black Hills if possible, but will look into all the options.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
There really is no reason to not have one of these. Every time you need it you'll regret the small purchase price and install you didn't do.

I have 2 of these in each of my cars, records 24/7/365 and they automatically shut off after battery voltage has decreased below 12.5v. It takes about 5-7 days of the car just sitting in the garage for that to happen.

This is the wiring kit I used, super easy install and this is what controls the battery voltage.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
What’s the price difference? It would have to be a lot for me to say it wasn’t worth it. With my blackvue 1080p setup the footage was clear enough to pull a license plate, but it could be better. I’d hate to save $100, get rear ended in low light by a hit and run driver and miss the plate because of that. I got the best blackvue setup 4-5 years ago and it’s still good enough now.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
What’s the price difference? It would have to be a lot for me to say it wasn’t worth it. With my blackvue 1080p setup the footage was clear enough to pull a license plate, but it could be better. I’d hate to save $100, get rear ended in low light by a hit and run driver and miss the plate because of that. I got the best blackvue setup 4-5 years ago and it’s still good enough now.

DR750 1080 2 channel setup is $389.99 and the DR900 4K 2 channel setup is $459.99

Guess you just made my decision to go with the 4K for the less than $100 difference.

Reactions: DanJ

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
I have the Blackvue DR750s 2 channel setup. It works pretty well, but it may not always capture plate numbers. If a car is more than 2 car lengths away, a still frame won't be clear enough to capture the license plate number. If I were to buy another one, I would spend the extra for the 4K model. The new ones even have a sim card, so a WiFi hotspot isn't needed for cloud capability.

Here is a video I pulled off of the front camera in rain/sleet at sundown. I was being a Karen and trying to get the plate number and ID number off of the Amazon trailer. The driver was tailgating in the left lane and laying on his horn during an ice storm ?:LOL:

Reactions: DanJ and FESTER665
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info