Another case of losing interest in the hobby?

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Also, some vehicles seem to have better resistance to rust due to manufacturing and protection. Will rust eventually get them? Sure. But you might get a lot more time before it does. Enough time to move to another vehicle. Maybe one car would work in a dual roll.

The main issue with a car you plan to race and abuse is the downtime when it breaks. But then there is your bicycle and uber. haha

Exactly :rofl: Ideally I'd love to find a rebuilt title s2000 on the CHEAPPP but they're quite expensive right now and that whole 2 car thing.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
I bought a Prius and love it :dunno:

Getting out of the hobby isn’t that I don’t like cars or toys, it’s changing values of time and money.

I sit in traffic every day, my car gets beat up parking on the street and from potholes, I don’t have a solid place to do any real work on my car regularly, I don’t race or attend any strictly enthusiast meets. A truck would be more practical for my current hobbies but my vehicle use is a ratio of 500:1 in miles driven commuting vs fun. A 4-5x increase in fuel and vehicle cost is asinine for that little bit.

I’m subscribing more to the belief of spending a lot on 1 hobby and cutting costs to nothing or very low on others these days.

Right now that’s fishing, which comparatively, isn’t expensive.

I like the SI idea. Minimally expensive car that’s going to take minimal dollars to get into racing shape if that’s what’s important to you.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
I still like cars, but don't have time to work on them and/or don't want to sink more money into an older car so I just enjoy my Mustang as is. I've been looking at a new (used) DD to replace my G37x and there isn't really much out there that excites me. The exciting cars are $10-15K more than I want to spend and/or coupes. I've also toyed with selling both cars and getting something like a M4 sedan.

Plus I spend a lot of time with the kids as they are getting into sports, so less free time and less disposable income and "experiences" are becoming more important than tangible items. For example, I am taking the family to Florida in October for a week and doing Disney. I have prepared my anus for the financial impact there.

As someone said earlier, we all are getting old...

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Like mentioned, it's just the progression of life. Different priorities take ahold of your time and money (again as mentioned).

Right now, I wish I had my current income level, with the time and lack of kids and mortgage like I did when I was 25.

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
Like mentioned, it's just the progression of life. Different priorities take ahold of your time and money (again as mentioned).

Right now, I wish I had my current income level, with the time and lack of kids and mortgage like I did when I was 25.

Right!! Truth is, this forum's population has aged. Lol. Might be time for a complete format change.

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
62526294_368614524010884_1836165391680798720_n.jpg

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
:rofl:

I still wholeheartedly love getting into my car, ripping up to speed and cruising with the T-Tops off. It’s not a crazy build, and I feel I can use most of what it has when I do drive it. It doesn’t fit child seats safely and that’s impacting how much I can drive it, but the car is also costing me very little to own and I still get satisfaction from driving. I have the space, and kids won’t be in car seats forever. Plus, I feel like I see fewer and fewer of these on the road in decent shape. And also, it’s not worth anything. Mostly that.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
I still like cars, but don't have time to work on them and/or don't want to sink more money into an older car so I just enjoy my Mustang as is. I've been looking at a new (used) DD to replace my G37x and there isn't really much out there that excites me. The exciting cars are $10-15K more than I want to spend and/or coupes. I've also toyed with selling both cars and getting something like a M4 sedan.

Plus I spend a lot of time with the kids as they are getting into sports, so less free time and less disposable income and "experiences" are becoming more important than tangible items. For example, I am taking the family to Florida in October for a week and doing Disney. I have prepared my anus for the financial impact there.

As someone said earlier, we all are getting old...
That’s why I like my 535. Didn’t spend much to get it fast enough to embarrass a lot of cars on the street. It’s comfy, and can haul the kids around. I have 3 mods and almost 500hp.

An M4 is a nice car, but might be a little high strung for a DD. Plenty of dirt cheap e60’s out there. Just don’t get the M5 if you want to keep your sanity. If you really want to haul the kids find a used Porsche Cayenne Turbo. Easy to get to almost 600hp with tuning, and a killer highway car. Only expensive regular outlay is paying for the horrible gas mileage. I’m in kind of the same boat as you, and these ended up as my top picks for cost/fun/practical.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=85aGR9nnz18
If I had a bigger budget I’d go for an e63 wagon.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
:rofl:

I still wholeheartedly love getting into my car, ripping up to speed and cruising with the T-Tops off. It’s not a crazy build, and I feel I can use most of what it has when I do drive it. It doesn’t fit child seats safely and that’s impacting how much I can drive it, but the car is also costing me very little to own and I still get satisfaction from driving. I have the space, and kids won’t be in car seats forever. Plus, I feel like I see fewer and fewer of these on the road in decent shape. And also, it’s not worth anything. Mostly that.

#reasonsItoohaveablackpontiacstill

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I kind of fell the same way. Still love cars and going for rides but I never have time anymore. I almost regert doing all the work I just did to my Mustang. Next car will be something like a Hellcat or GT500 and will stay close to stock.

How is that any different than what you have and don't use now? Besides drag radials and skinny front runners, what holds you back from driving the car?

Both the GT500 and Hellcat would probably cost you just as much as you have into your car. So why would you drive them and not your current car?

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
How is that any different than what you have and don't use now? Besides drag radials and skinny front runners, what holds you back from driving the car?

Both the GT500 and Hellcat would probably cost you just as much as you have into your car. So why would you drive them and not your current car?

I wouldn't. More or less was saying I'm tired of the modding game.

I have a company truck, gas card, and Ipass. A lot of times I drive to places I wouldn't want to leave my cream puff parked, plus free gas and tolls driving the company vehicle is hard to pass up. Just FYI I drove the Mustang to work last Friday if that makes a difference...lol. Will most likely drive it to the office this Thursday as well and then go to the Porter cruise night in Addison after work for free beer/food.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Even if you don't drive the Mustang to work, for reasons I understand, you wouldn't drive a Hellcat any more. So having one of those other cars wouldn't allow you more driving time.

The issues that can come with a modded car I get. But your car hasn't been problematic as of yet. So get in it and drive.

Also, drink less & drive more. haha

torquelover

TCG Elite Member
Jun 4, 2013
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=85aGR9nnz18
If I had a bigger budget I’d go for an e63 wagon.

Agree on this one. Was eyeing one in the Minneapolis area a while ago...that eventually got bought by Doug Demuro of all people.

I drive a bunch of basic, fleet spec, rental/company car sedans weekly, and think to myself for $20k-ish new and under warranty it wouldn't be too bad.

Age, shifting priorities, complacency. They all add up.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info