AAM brand, differential carrier ?

GoldPanther

Ford Love
Donating Member
Reaction score
So I have spent over a month looking for a 31 spline FORD performance 8.8 trak loc or lsd however you call it and there's absolutely non in stock anywhere.
I know theres many others out there but for my setup and budget all I want is a Ford track lock.

I came across this brand AAM which stands for American axle Manufacturing. They have what I'm looking for, there's two thing I don't like about it, first one is that their posi carrier doesn't have the traditional S spring between the spider gears, they claim the carrier has a different type of spring wtf?, and second one, I never heard of AAM.

Does anyone has any input on this type of diff?

Link...

OP
GoldPanther

GoldPanther

Ford Love
Donating Member
Reaction score
To hell with that shit looking carrier. I just bought a used OEM one from Ebay.
I'm surprised no one here had any input on this. someone buy that shit and report back lol.

boostedguy05

not well known
Donating Member
Reaction score
aam is also american axle mexico, and they make a lot of the OEM parts to begin with.

taws697

Reaction score
Duramax and Cummins pickups came with AAM 11.5 rearends. I’d imagine they would be a fairly reputable company.

OP
GoldPanther

GoldPanther

Ford Love
Donating Member
Reaction score
Oh that's interesting. However I tried looking for reviews or feedback on this type of diff carrier and there's almost nothing, only one mechanic saying that one tire would spin occasionally and not both. So I was like mhe. No good

boostedguy05

not well known
Donating Member
Reaction score
They are a GM supplier, so made my AAM but not branded that so people dont know

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
Beat me to it, AAM is a GM driveline supplier. Most driveshafts (particularly the fronts), in GM trucks are made by AAM. So it is a reputable company. Their sticker IS on the components.

I can't speak to this particular Differential though.

OP
GoldPanther

GoldPanther

Ford Love
Donating Member
Reaction score
Well it kinda sucks that I already bought a used one that costed the same as a new AAM lol. knowing they are GM's supplier it gives me some trust but is too late now. (y)

granadojl

Reaction score
So I have spent over a month looking for a 31 spline FORD performance 8.8 trak loc or lsd however you call it and there's absolutely non in stock anywhere.
I know theres many others out there but for my setup and budget all I want is a Ford track lock.

I came across this brand AAM which stands for American axle Manufacturing. They have what I'm looking for, there's two thing I don't like about it, first one is that their posi carrier doesn't have the traditional S spring between the spider gears, they claim the carrier has a different type of spring wtf?, and second one, I never heard of AAM.

Does anyone has any input on this type of diff?

Link...

Like you, I couldn't locate any info on the AAM loaded carrier. I was looking for a traditional S spring unit a few months ago but didn't pull the trigger. Well, now there's none to be found.

I plan to install one for my '57 F100, but don't need anything too special as there is no weight on the rear end and the tires will burn out before any true load is on the axle. I purchased mine from Amazon from this link ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C39PI3O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) a couple days ago.

The diff arrived in a factory sealed Ford box and the diff inside is stamped with Ford. Looks true and looks good. I found this specific one on other sites for cheaper, but with Amazon's return policy,.... I knew I was risking $200 and didn't want to have to deal with the return in case it was a bad unit or something I wasn't expecting. I'm on the hunt for 3.73 gears then slowly going to rebuild my axle and slap it in. I'll try to keep everyone posted with how the unit holds up.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom