• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

AAM brand, differential carrier ?

GoldPanther

♫Please press 1 for more options♫
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2013
Addison
Real Name
Daniel
So I have spent over a month looking for a 31 spline FORD performance 8.8 trak loc or lsd however you call it and there's absolutely non in stock anywhere.
I know theres many others out there but for my setup and budget all I want is a Ford track lock.

I came across this brand AAM which stands for American axle Manufacturing. They have what I'm looking for, there's two thing I don't like about it, first one is that their posi carrier doesn't have the traditional S spring between the spider gears, they claim the carrier has a different type of spring wtf?, and second one, I never heard of AAM.

Does anyone has any input on this type of diff?

Link...

GoldPanther

♫Please press 1 for more options♫
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2013
Addison
Real Name
Daniel
Oh that's interesting. However I tried looking for reviews or feedback on this type of diff carrier and there's almost nothing, only one mechanic saying that one tire would spin occasionally and not both. So I was like mhe. No good

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Beat me to it, AAM is a GM driveline supplier. Most driveshafts (particularly the fronts), in GM trucks are made by AAM. So it is a reputable company. Their sticker IS on the components.

I can't speak to this particular Differential though.

granadojl

Sep 14, 2020
So I have spent over a month looking for a 31 spline FORD performance 8.8 trak loc or lsd however you call it and there's absolutely non in stock anywhere.
I know theres many others out there but for my setup and budget all I want is a Ford track lock.

I came across this brand AAM which stands for American axle Manufacturing. They have what I'm looking for, there's two thing I don't like about it, first one is that their posi carrier doesn't have the traditional S spring between the spider gears, they claim the carrier has a different type of spring wtf?, and second one, I never heard of AAM.

Does anyone has any input on this type of diff?

Link...

Like you, I couldn't locate any info on the AAM loaded carrier. I was looking for a traditional S spring unit a few months ago but didn't pull the trigger. Well, now there's none to be found.

I plan to install one for my '57 F100, but don't need anything too special as there is no weight on the rear end and the tires will burn out before any true load is on the axle. I purchased mine from Amazon from this link ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C39PI3O/?tag=tcg21-20 ) a couple days ago.

The diff arrived in a factory sealed Ford box and the diff inside is stamped with Ford. Looks true and looks good. I found this specific one on other sites for cheaper, but with Amazon's return policy,.... I knew I was risking $200 and didn't want to have to deal with the return in case it was a bad unit or something I wasn't expecting. I'm on the hunt for 3.73 gears then slowly going to rebuild my axle and slap it in. I'll try to keep everyone posted with how the unit holds up.

Reactions: GoldPanther
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info