A "Street" car?

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
The day I can't just jump in the car and go pick my son up from school or run basic errands is the day it's no longer a street car to me. Once it becomes a pain in the ass and no longer easily accessible is when I've crossed that line into "racecar" territory. It's why I still have an OD trans, heater, radio, power steering, abs, tcs, pump gas(e85), catback, etc.

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
It's why I still have an OD trans, heater, radio, power steering, abs, tcs, pump gas(e85), catback, etc.

all of that is negotiable to me.
my kid is only 3 months old, but have plans of him in some pretty rowdy shit once completed, especially when hes in school.

a 5 year old will fit in a 17" kirkey just fine, right?

Shibby50

TCG Elite Member
Mar 30, 2008
Braidwood, IL
I think the best way for me to put it is. If you had to sell your daily driver would you mind using it as your dd for a year. A whole year. Aside from the it doesn't see rain or snow because you don't wanna ruin it factor. Could you do it? If not, to work, store, far away trips, rain, snow etc. Is it reliable? If not, It loses the definition to me at least.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
I think the best way for me to put it is. If you had to sell your daily driver would you mind using it as your dd for a year. A whole year. Aside from the it doesn't see rain or snow because you don't wanna ruin it factor. Could you do it? If not, to work, store, far away trips, rain, snow etc. Is it reliable? If not, It loses the definition to me at least.
I wouldn't do that for my k5, does that mean it's a racecar? :rofl:

If it can legally be on the road in whatever state you're from, then it's a street car

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
So by legal you mean working wipers turn signals stock seat belts dot tires stock exhaust front plate etc. That knocks out a lot of cars off the list.

So many grey areas though. If I bought a mustang and put an axle back on it then it wouldn't be legal by that definition. I have all those items although it's a magnaflow catback which was my first mod.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I think there are as many answers as car people.

On a logical sense I'd have to say anything that meets the requirements of the law to be street legal is a street car.

But as far as my opinion goes, the Drag Week type cars while being able to be plated and driven on the street, aren't street cars. They are race cars that can be driven on the street. You'd never pick-up your kids, or go grab a bite to eat with those cars if you had another more civil choice.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
It's a ton of grey areas, but I think most have a general agreement as to what it is. I mean if you show up in an f body that can drive on the street and does, but doesn't have legal street tires or front plate, I think everyone would still say street car.

If you show up in a car with a big tire, requires 115 or better fuel to run, and needs to roll on a trailer to go home because it has a 5 gallon tank. It's a racecar that's "street raced"

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
002-2016-drag-week-hot-rod-jeff-lutz-save-6.124.jpg

004-2016-drag-week-hot-rod-jeff-lutz-save-6.124.jpg

I love drag week. But when you get 2-3 mph, have to swap out valve springs before you leave the track, change the ride height of the car, remove parts from the car, change rocker arms on the side of the road because one snapped off, freeze from lack of heat, or sweat your balls off due to the excessive heat on a hot and humid day, and all of that bull shit, you are driving a race car on the street. Plain and simple. Lutz even said it himself. lol But on the boards the street racers want to convince everyone their race cars are street cars. :rofl:

A "quick street car" and a "streetable race car" are two different things. I agree with the notion that a street car should have all of the modern conveniences, that it be a car you can jump in at any given moment and not be able to drive it cross country, that it not require special needs, and so on. I have dated women that were really into cars. But none of them would want to spend a night on the town in a promod.

And good luck taking your girl to several locations in the City of Chicago driving a ProMod. The roads, bumps and pot holes will turn that racecar into scrap in no time. lol Not to mention you couldn't negotiate into parking garages, over speed bumps and so on.

Nowadays you have guys daily driving 1000+hp pump gas cars. Shit, on E85 you have guys making well above 1500hp. A fully optioned car with insane power and comfort isn't hard to do at all.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
It use to be only about 5 or so years ago that 400-500whp is substantial. Then it crept up to 600-700whp a couple years after that. Now if you are not making 4 digit power it's considered 'meh'. I don't understand that especially when the people that seem so jaded by decent horsepower not being enough are usually the guys that drive 250whp turds. It's like 1320video has diluted the idea of what streetable horsepower is by showing 90mph rolls with 1800hp cars running on unicorn piss on a daily basis.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
It use to be only about 5 or so years ago that 400-500whp is substantial. Then it crept up to 600-700whp a couple years after that. Now if you are not making 4 digit power it's considered 'meh'. I don't understand that especially when the people that seem so jaded by decent horsepower not being enough are usually the guys that drive 250whp turds. It's like 1320video has diluted the idea of what streetable horsepower is by showing 90mph rolls with 1800hp cars running on unicorn piss on a daily basis.

I feel people need to understand that a dyno number does not equal quarter mile times. You could have a hellcat making close to 900 hp struggling to touch mid 10s. And you could have a 600 hp fbody running those exact same times.

Each car is different and each have different features/comforts.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
[MENTION=1774]willizm[/MENTION] There was another thread where someone posted something to that effect. That a 900 hp car or 9 second car is no longer impressive due to the popular videos of GTR running in the 7's and 2500 hp dyno videos. The fact of the matter is those cars are very few. Until you try and build a car like that, you don't really appreciate it. Just like all the guys saying "Well a magazine took a junk yard LS and made 1,000+hp. So anyone can do it". OK, I will admit that anyone could possibly do it. But the matter of the fact is that almost no one does it.

Sitting on someone else's accomplishments as if they were your own is lame as fuck. People need to recognize accomplishments for what they are and give props where props are due.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
The argument is only for sandbaggers looking for a race or shit talkers trying not to race.

Bullshit. I had plenty of people who wouldn't race the capri even though I was at a disadvantage. I never made excuses. But I think me having to race a similar power car that is gutted to tin can is dumb. Yet I never turned down a race.

Trust me, it is always the gutted race cars that street racers are trying to convince everyone is a street car. It isn't street cars convincing people they have race cars. :rofl:

GLADIATOR

aka STROKE-KING
TCG Premium
Mar 29, 2004
New Lenox IL
Bullshit. I had plenty of people who wouldn't race the capri even though I was at a disadvantage. I never made excuses. But I think me having to race a similar power car that is gutted to tin can is dumb. Yet I never turned down a race.

Trust me, it is always the gutted race cars that street racers are trying to convince everyone is a street car. It isn't street cars convincing people they have race cars. :rofl:

It's not bullshit. You just proved my point.

"Wanna race? It's a street car." No it's not."

"I'd race you but I have a street car, you don't."

Very real dialect when racing for pizza money.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info