416 build advice

rocket69GTP

Reaction score
Had an LS3 block new from GM delivered over the weekend and need some opinions on which way to go with this build. As of right now, here is everything that I am throwing into it.
Callies Dragonslayer 4 inch crank
Callies Compstar I-beam rods
Wiseco pistons (size of reliefs or dished is still being worked out)
Coated bearings throughout with ARP studs
Here is where I am running into a dilemma, currently have LS3 heads that flow extremely well but I have buddies trying to push me to the TEA 225 or 235 cathedral style heads. Cams for the LS3 heads are much harder to gauge as there is more experience with cathedral but wanted opinions on which way to go. Goals with the car would be about 500 rwhp with the supporting mods to get there and will go boosted later on for bigger HP. I know I will have to keep compression down a bit but I see enough peeps running mid to higher 10.x:1 compression with great numbers.

Shibby50

Reaction score
Good cathedral port heads will flow just as good as good ls3 heads. Gm hi-tech did an article on them to prove so with the right cams they couldn't really make one out perform the other.
I would talk to whoever is going to tune your car and spec your cam and see what they prefer to use or have more experience with.

rocket69GTP

Reaction score
The guy who is tuning the car has a forged 427 that he puts a 400 shot through and putting 1000 rwhp down and he uses the TEA 235 heads. That will add a cool $3,000 on top of the build now so just trying to possibly plan for this.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
first step. and it's a big one.

lose the gtp from your name :rofl:

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
:rofl: it wasnt meant to be mean, just the first time i read the thread title i was like what in tar nation is a 416 mean for a gtp. must be a new sort of awesome.

i wasn't thinking. you've moved on to better and bigger things. be excited.

DEXTER

thanks dad
Reaction score
I would run the heads you have,why spend the money when your gonna add boost down the road and force air at them!

rocket69GTP

Reaction score
^^^Agree, found out that you have to run roller tip rockers with the TEA heads and I know they don't exactly have the best track record for not breaking and the price on the build is sky rocketing enough.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom