đź’¬ OT 3D printers...who has one?

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
We have successfully 3D scanned and created an STL from the lidar on Al's iPhone 12. But I believe he is severely interested in the 13 with it's much faster lidar scan rate and accuracy
What app are you using? I’ve got a 13 pro max, have messed around with some apps for mapping rooms in my house.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
I am not an iFanboi
Apple lost my favor when they discontinued supporting net trek on the old Macintosh IIc and Wozniak got fucked.

All I know is that technically he could print a dildo of himself.

If you're ever over at Chubbs/Amuzgo's he can speak more of it.

What I do know is that from some preliminary scanning work on the interior of the 442 that s*** could be one hell of a game-changer for letting us print out lightweight carbon fiber reinforced ABS race car parts that mesh/epoxy together and bolt right in

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
cura.png

Not sure if it's a record for time to print such a small amount of material but it's gotta be ranking. :rofl:

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
fine layer height but I Think it's the object's complexity overall. It was still 3+ when I was doing it at .2mm. It's a 2" square covered by .075" pyramids. I'm trying translucent ABS to make reflectors. If I get this AMC it's short some marker lights and I don't think I'm getting them from the aftermarket. It's not like people are beating down doors to repop AMC these days.

Reactions: Turbocharged400sbc

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
So I did the prisms at .075 square (just did a 45 degree extrude in SW then did a pattern) and it just kind of made a texture. I think that's beyond the capability of my printer at this time. I doubled the size to .15 and we'll see what we get. The material I'm using is ABS, it's a light red but I'll find something else if I get the concept right. I also have a yellow that wouldn't be terrible that's translucent. IMO this HAS to be ABS, the reason why is that you get milkiness and if you throw a splash of acetone on it it clears right up.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
OK, so I feel like a moron. I decided to get a junk reflector out and see what I wasn't doing that I should. I totally neglected that there is a frickin mirror behind the diffuser that I didn't have in place. I'm not sure that it makes a huge difference, but I think I need some real night testing to determine that. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XX8XFDK/?tag=tcg21-20 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M0CS6HA/?tag=tcg21-20 Eyeballing these though. I am thinking they'd be badass.

gonna test this.

IMG_20220525_092233496.jpg

IMG_20220525_102255493.jpg

Next step is probably a basic print then some aluminum foil to put behind it. After that I'd say that metalized plastic paint and making a legit 2 piece housing. Also in question if I'm printing this upside down and the flat face should be at the top. This would permit logoing it. I think you'd have a flatish lens with the rest of the body being opaque and reflective painted inside then gluing it together.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
I am going to start my 3d printing adventure. Just bought a Creality Ender 3 S1 Pro. Should be here in the next week or so. What's a good filament to start with here just for some nicknacks to get a handle on it? I've downloaded Cura so i'll try that as the slicer. Any recommendations on firmware updates or use what is out of the box?

Reactions: Mr_Roboto

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
I've used Hatchbox and Sovol before in ABS and PLA. I don't advise ABS for newbies. I've also used esun PLA+ which is really good for more mechanical stuff.. Cura is the slicer I use out of the box. Not sure on FW but I would think Marlin 2.0 is installed by default these days so check Creality vs your current FW and see if they have anything interesting in their change log.

Thread Info