đź’¬ OT 3D printers...who has one?

01bluesnake

D Mark Performance
TCG Sponsor
Jul 8, 2009
I was thinking something for my C5. My idea is a 3 gauge pod that would go down by the shifter where the ash tray and lighter outlet are. Essentially replacing those but keeping the stock dash piece unmolested. I would have to
Measure it out still, but wasn’t sure how tough it would be to create something like that in a computer program.

Depending on the complexity with shapes, bends, angles, can get pretty timely to make in the program. Im still novice with using the programs, but sure someone could knock it out in a few hours. I think i spent around 4 hours building a file for a flange i needed with my turbo kits. My cold air intake tube was time spent over months with trial prints and revisions, probably well over 50 hours

20201007_161309.jpg

Reactions: PJx5x and SleeperLS

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
I was thinking something for my C5. My idea is a 3 gauge pod that would go down by the shifter where the ash tray and lighter outlet are. Essentially replacing those but keeping the stock dash piece unmolested. I would have to
Measure it out still, but wasn’t sure how tough it would be to create something like that in a computer program.
I probably have 6ish man hours in the one that I have a pic of there. That took 3 revisions to get it where I was happy with the results. The real challenge is that there's some weird curves and radiuses to the gauge setup. The advantage is that it's behind the face of the dash cluster so it didn't need to be exactly precise when I made it.

If I were going to attack it, I'd do a think even say 3-4 layers) flat piece to get an idea of how it matched to the hole then after that was right I'd add the gauges to it.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
I am not really sure what these go for. I don’t feel like I would need a high budget unit, but I do want it to work out of the box. $500ish reasonable for these?
I have one of these. Add in for some PLA and a dryer box you’ll be right around that $500 mark for a really good printer with a lot of bells and whistles. If I had to do it again I’d probably still pick this ome

Reactions: SleeperLS

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Ender 3 s1 pro is what I’d get. I bought my v2 for $150 from microcenter as an open box at the beginning of covid. I’ve probably dumped another $200-250 in to it for mods as things wore out/broke. The s1 pro has basically everything I added to mine and then some.

I use an ammo can and a rechargeable desiccant pack to keep filament dry. Been working great for years.

Reactions: Fish and SleeperLS

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
I use this dryer and it’s been great for me. In Houston you really need to keep the moisture out or you get all sorts of weird prints

SUNLU 3D Printer Filament Dryer, FilaDryer S2 Storage Dry Box for 3D Printing, 360° Surround Heating, Large-Size Touch Screen, Remove Moisture from Wet Filaments, Spool Holder, Black https://a.co/d/dAL3crk

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
That is fancy AF. I kind of like that.
I assume our climates are the same but I don’t think humidity ever gets over 40% here. Even with our whole house humidifier going and hitting about 33% I don’t have issues leaving pla on my printer for weeks. Petg is another story. That shit is like a sponge

Reactions: SleeperLS

Thread Info