2nd generation Pontiac Trans Am experts... step in.

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
Long story short, neighbor here in Elgin has a property in the city that he rents, previous renter left, previous renter left a 2nd gen Firebird in the garage. My neighbor has tried to contact him (to remove the car), to no avail.

So neighbor said "Come get the car, it's yours..."

He sent me pictures today along with VIN#. Car is dirty,a 1980 Trans Am, but my VIN decoding has some surprising info IF this is truly what it says it is... 2X87TAN133359.

Doing some research on TransAm World, this is an Indy pace car with the 4.9L turbo. While the turbo 301 is nothing special, if this is truly an indy pace car, just without the sticker package (there are no stickers on it), is this something worth snatching and cleaning up?

IceCreamAssassin

FBMM
Donating Member
Reaction score
They are still pretty hot right now for some reason. If you can snag it cheap then it’s definitely worth it. Just don’t expect any power at all lol. That motor is awful, but it’s a very cool car. I’d love to have another one someday.

OP
CMNTMXR57

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
Yea, I know it's a dog, but when that came up as an Indy Pace car with the turbo 4.9, I was very pleasantly surprised, I just thought it'd come up as some base car.

OP
CMNTMXR57

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
Of course the wife is being obstinate right now. :D

OP
CMNTMXR57

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
Yea, thinking taking the power washer to it will make serious changes... He doesn't have the keys obviously, but it looks like it's in nuetral.

Thinking on doing this Tuesday.

OP
CMNTMXR57

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
Gotta love old cars, a whole ignition cylinder with new keys... $17 at classic industries,..

The Beast

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
That’s a big concern I don’t think it’s easy to get

OP
CMNTMXR57

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
I asked him about the legalities of him giving it to me.

The Beast

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
I asked him about the legalities of him giving it to me.
I think the only way to get the title is, if the car was in a shop and the owner of the car won’t pay the bill. the shop I believe puts a lien on the car. And it’s a long process from what i have heard to get the title. Hope this helps

OP
CMNTMXR57

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
Would him (my neighbor) being a Landlord, and the owner of the car not removing it, kinda work along the same lines?

This is a concern as I don't want the owner coming and finding the car and claiming I stole it or some strange shit.

The Beast

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
Would him (my neighbor) being a Landlord, and the owner of the car not removing it, kinda work along the same lines?

This is a concern as I don't want the owner coming and finding the car and claiming I stole it or some strange shit.
Leaving a car on someone’s property does not make the landlord the owner of the car. What he could do is have it towed out by the city, but then city will own it after some time. It’s not his car to give away or sell unfortunately. The state will not go for it with no title.

Bru

Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Might want to check with the city or a lawyer. Could be a value assigned where a car could be outside the lines of this ordinance.

"(f)Disposition of Abandoned Property. If the tenant abandons the dwelling unit as described in subsection (e) hereof, or fails to remove his personal property from the premises after termination of a rental agreement, the landlord shall leave the property in the dwelling unit or remove and store all abandoned property from the dwelling unit and may dispose of the property after seven days. Notwithstanding the foregoing, if the landlord reasonably believes such abandoned property to be valueless or of such little value that the cost of storage would exceed the amount that would be realized from sale, or if such property is subject to spoilage, the landlord may immediately dispose of such property."

OP
CMNTMXR57

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
When I talked to him this afternoon, he said he contacted the city (Chicago) and they said it was his to do as he pleased after 90 days and no response from the owner.

I know that's not title, but...

Dan00Hawk

Reaction score
Make sure you follow the proper process to legally acquire the car. If not, it would really suck to restore/modernize it and only then have the prior owner pop up and produce the title and claim he owns it.

OP
CMNTMXR57

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
I won't invest much other than cleaning it up and getting it running until I sort out the title/ownership stuff.

Aircal

Reaction score
Yes lean for storage.
That is a pace car interior. If you want a quick flip let me know. Once you have a title of course. Pace car slightly worth more than a regular Trans Am but it's no Barrett Jackson find.

Aircal

Reaction score
Actually the interior looks more like the 79 version. I know someone with a 79 and another with a 81 let me chat with them. 79 would have a olds 403. Easy to identify.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
Donating Member
Reaction score
Cool car should be easy to tell if it's a 301T or not as Aircal said. If you can figure out the paperwork on it that's a definite "wood."

You may have some stuff in the lower parts that's not perfect but the paint looks really nice at face value.

Also if for some reason you get it, it's a 301T and you part it I'm interested in the draw through turbo setup.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom