• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

2nd generation Pontiac Trans Am experts... step in.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Long story short, neighbor here in Elgin has a property in the city that he rents, previous renter left, previous renter left a 2nd gen Firebird in the garage. My neighbor has tried to contact him (to remove the car), to no avail.

So neighbor said "Come get the car, it's yours..."

He sent me pictures today along with VIN#. Car is dirty,a 1980 Trans Am, but my VIN decoding has some surprising info IF this is truly what it says it is... 2X87TAN133359.

Doing some research on TransAm World, this is an Indy pace car with the 4.9L turbo. While the turbo 301 is nothing special, if this is truly an indy pace car, just without the sticker package (there are no stickers on it), is this something worth snatching and cleaning up?

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
1980 TA 1.jpg1980 TA 2.jpg1980 TA 3.jpg1980 TA 4.jpg1980 TA 5.jpg

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
I asked him about the legalities of him giving it to me.

I think the only way to get the title is, if the car was in a shop and the owner of the car won’t pay the bill. the shop I believe puts a lien on the car. And it’s a long process from what i have heard to get the title. Hope this helps

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
Would him (my neighbor) being a Landlord, and the owner of the car not removing it, kinda work along the same lines?

This is a concern as I don't want the owner coming and finding the car and claiming I stole it or some strange shit.

Leaving a car on someone’s property does not make the landlord the owner of the car. What he could do is have it towed out by the city, but then city will own it after some time. It’s not his car to give away or sell unfortunately. The state will not go for it with no title.

Reactions: DEEZUZ

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Might want to check with the city or a lawyer. Could be a value assigned where a car could be outside the lines of this ordinance.

"(f)Disposition of Abandoned Property. If the tenant abandons the dwelling unit as described in subsection (e) hereof, or fails to remove his personal property from the premises after termination of a rental agreement, the landlord shall leave the property in the dwelling unit or remove and store all abandoned property from the dwelling unit and may dispose of the property after seven days. Notwithstanding the foregoing, if the landlord reasonably believes such abandoned property to be valueless or of such little value that the cost of storage would exceed the amount that would be realized from sale, or if such property is subject to spoilage, the landlord may immediately dispose of such property."

Reactions: Gav'sPurpleZ

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Cool car should be easy to tell if it's a 301T or not as Aircal said. If you can figure out the paperwork on it that's a definite "wood."

You may have some stuff in the lower parts that's not perfect but the paint looks really nice at face value.

Also if for some reason you get it, it's a 301T and you part it I'm interested in the draw through turbo setup.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info