1987 Camaro IROC-Z - BrandoLSX Build Thread

brandoLSX

"I live my life a quarter mile at a time"
Jul 12, 2011
Broomfield, CO
is a lsx swap hard to do in these? you spent money on the zz350 just curious why not spend it on a LS instead

It's isn't hard to do. I wasn't sure about all the electrical stuff. Like I said in the thread I fully regret not going the LS route. If I could go back I would have dropped an LS in. Before starting this build I knew about cars but not as much as I do now. Knowing what I know now after building this engine the LS route would have been the way to go. With a little more research it would't have been pretty easy. I was young and naive I guess is what it comes down too.

SRT41320

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 11, 2007
Lake in the Hills - IL
It's isn't hard to do. I wasn't sure about all the electrical stuff. Like I said in the thread I fully regret not going the LS route. If I could go back I would have dropped an LS in. Before starting this build I knew about cars but not as much as I do now. Knowing what I know now after building this engine the LS route would have been the way to go. With a little more research it would't have been pretty easy. I was young and naive I guess is what it comes down too.

ahhh... i remember being young and dumb :rofl:

brandoLSX

"I live my life a quarter mile at a time"
Jul 12, 2011
Broomfield, CO
So winter is upon us and it's time to do some more work on the IROC-Z. I just picked up a 4th Gen rear end from a guy in Indiana. The 4th gen rear ends are 4" longer than the 3rd gen ones. This way I won't have to run a set of spacers on the rear anymore.

photo-5_zps71e98562.jpg

I am going to clean her up, and paint her with a rust seal coating from KBS Coatings. I am going to be pulling the trans and sending it off to be rebuilt. While everything is basically off from the underside I am going to strip the undercoating and re-seal everything.

I also purchased a Motive gear to put in the rear end. I currently have a stock 3.23 gear. That shit isn’t doing anything good for my car. I am going with a 4.10 set-up. I picked up and installation kit that includes all new bearings, shims, seals, and sleeves.

photo1_zps43411476.jpg

photo2_zpsb7269d69.jpg

photo3_zps263ef1cd.jpg

I will be swapping the rear brakes to the “LS1” ones. I got them powder coated to match the front set-up. Also got a set of cross-drilled, slotted rotors to match.

photo4_zps2a7214f3.jpg

photo5_zpsc73b9683.jpg

I will take more photos during the process. I should be starting stripping the rear end tomorrow.

Thread Info