Sports 🏎️ Official Formula 1 Thread

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Watching FP1 now and just want to say, DiReshhhhhhta is a worthless condescending fuck pig. Sky needs to get him off the air.

Ted Kravitz had just done a nice multi-minute piece about gloves, safety equipment. Talking about how he noticed that Hamilton was stretching and flexing his fingers after trying the FIA’s sample of new fire-resistant gloves.

In three seconds the fuck pig shits all over it. “It’s probably just tension from the first session”.

Ted could hammer that little shit into the ground like a golf tee.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
First part of quali sure was fun today. Wonder if we'll see any rain tomorrow. If it stays dry I don't doubt Hamiltons ability to charge to the front. It's a lot better for Bottas that he's on pole actually. If he can stay there, the team have no fuel to tell him to move aside for hamilton, but if he falls back behind Verstappen and gets in between max and hamilton....I can't wait for the radio transmissions :LOL:

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Not exactly a riveting race even though it was wet/damp. Few moments of action, more of LH whining about his tires. Team tells him what to do, he ignores it, then complains about the results. Still won’t learn a lesson from it.

I’ve already forgotten who it was, but someone ran the entire race on one set of intermediates.

YMMV

• Wow
Reactions: FirstWorldProblems

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Definitely odd conditions, made for a fairly mundane race since everyone just wanted to look after their tires and not really push too much, but still good stuff for the championship. Good drive for Bottas and he deserves the praise. I think red bull definitely broke the "new livery curse" as well :LOL: If only Perez can drive like that every race....

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Somewhat related to F1:

1633927353028.png

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
COTA this weekend gentlemen...

Drivers were complaining about the track surface being quite bumpy, as was evident when MotoGP raced there. Not sure if COTA remedied it yet.
I'm sure they didn't, doesn't seem like something they can easily fix. When motogp complained two years ago they resurfaced it, and now this year they said it's even worse despite the resurfacing.

I don't think motogp will go back to COTA next year.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
The problem is how they constructed the track on a shifting surface. Silverstone had the same issue, but they fixed it, and monitor it. I think the best COTA can do for the moment is grind down the peaks and see how it goes.
SIlverstone had issues with bumps? I thought their problems were related to lack of water runoff

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim

MotoGP’s visit to Circuit of the Americas in Austin two weeks ago was a dramatic one, but not for the right reasons. Competitors complained about the bumpy track surface all weekend long, with Yamaha’s Fabio Quartararo comparing the experience riding on it to motocross. Slow-motion footage of Joan Mir bouncing off his seat trying to wrangle his Suzuki put the problem into perspective.

Now it’s Formula 1's turn to tackle COTA’s tricky surface. And while bumps don’t pose the same danger for cars as for bikes, the recurring issue of Austin’s inconsistent asphalt is prompting some last-minute mitigation measures.

Race director Michael Masi has requested that the worst of the bumps be ground down just three days ahead of the first practice session of the weekend, according to Motorsport.com. Meanwhile, AlphaTauri’s Pierre Gasly has predicted that the nature of the track will make car setup a challenge:

“Having watched MotoGP a few weeks back, the bumps which were already pretty bad last time we raced there, seem even more severe now. It will require some sort of compromise on set-up, but we won’t really know until we get there. I’m not particularly worried about it, because our car is working well everywhere at the moment and we just have to avoid any problems waiting to ambush us, so that we can continue to close in on Alpine in the championship.”

Parts of COTA were resurfaced following F1's last event there, in 2019. Masi has noted that the areas that were problematic for MotoGP are not the same that were addressed two years ago. That said, if COTA wants to ensure that both series keep returning to Austin — especially MotoGP — it may have to invest in a more comprehensive resurfacing over the offseason.

It’s often said that the culprit of COTA’s tricky tarmac is the ever-shifting clay over which it’s built, but the Texas track is far from the only FIA Grade 1 circuit that lacks a favorable natural foundation. Silverstone was thought to be beset by similar problems, until that track was recently resurfaced in a manner that accounted for the properties of its soil.

Jarno Zaffelli, who owns the company that oversaw the Silverstone project, recently told Motorsport.com that such issues can be managed and essentially stamped out, if the resurfacing is done properly from the beginning and continuously monitored after the fact:

“Absolutely, it’s exactly what we did at Silverstone,” Zaffelli said when asked if a moveable surface such as the clay at COTA can be accounted for when a new surface is put down. “So, the proof is there and you can see it now. We have a monitoring with Silverstone every six months, we do a full scan of the track with local contractors.

“The fact is we are doing monitoring every six months in Silverstone and nothing is moving. If something is moving some millimetres, we go head on and try to understand with the Silverstone guys how we maintain it immediately, because we see the differences. But the bumps we saw in Austin are not millimetres, they are centimetres.”

Ultimately, Austin’s eccentricities could make for a more thrilling and unpredictable but not necessarily more dangerous F1 race, which fans will welcome. But what’s annoying for cars is downright unsafe for motorcycles, and vehicles of four and two wheels share this circuit. Masi says organizers will “do what they can within the timeframe” to stamp out the worst of it. A quick fix may fly for now, but serious efforts will be necessary unless COTA wants to face a repeat of all this next summer.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
FP1 in the bag... man that track has some bumpy sections now. They did some in-helmet cam from Ocon and you can see how rough it is. Lot's of scraping. At one point the center of MV's wing was scraping the ground.

Also, a whole list of replacement parts going in multiple cars, so lots of penalties to shake things up. No spoilers, but one of them really surprised the booth crew.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Also, looks like MV elected to not be part of this year's DTS:

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
So it looks like F1TV finally has an AppleTV app. Took how many years?

I just loaded it up, looks very similar to the iOS/iPadOS app. Can change views, look at archives, etc. Will have to take a closer look at it this evening to see how the quality of the video stream is. No more having to AirPlay or dongle an HDMI cord to watch on the TV.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
To answer myself, which I am doing okay with today, I would say it's a 720p stream, judging by the bandwidth it uses when it pulls from the server(s). It's averaging 17-20Mbps every 2-3 seconds, about what I see with Hulu, which is 720p. AT&T TV is 1080p and is closer to 30-40Mbps.

Don't care, switched to unlimited data. I'll watch the same practice sessions a dozen times over if I want, lol.

Now that the weather is turning crappy this will be a great opportunity to go back and watch the older races (pre-2008 for me) on the big screen.

I'm liking this!

Thread Info