User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2010, 03:33 PM   #1
WhtSuperStang's Avatar
Jack Bauer > Chuck Norris
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,728
Jack Bauer > Chuck Norris
 
WhtSuperStang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,728
Casino cash: $4610000
0.91 per day
Default Focus Not Starting right?

3-5 times when its cold out mid 30's and below the car just cranks over but nothing....if i floor it and it "catches i can usually pump the gas to nurse it up to start....

What can cause this?
WhtSuperStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:37 PM   #2
Maniak's Avatar  
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Highland Park, IL
Posts: 7,953
 
Maniak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Highland Park, IL
Posts: 7,953
Casino cash: $4903600
1.63 per day
Default

any engine codes? maybe the fuel pump?

my first thought was battery but i wouldnt think modulating the pedal would help if u had a bad battery.
__________________
94 cobra
-408-T56-
-475rwhp/451rwtq-


-Zach
Maniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:53 PM   #3
WhtSuperStang's Avatar
Jack Bauer > Chuck Norris
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,728
Jack Bauer > Chuck Norris
 
WhtSuperStang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,728
Casino cash: $4610000
0.91 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniak View Post
any engine codes? maybe the fuel pump?

my first thought was battery but i wouldnt think modulating the pedal would help if u had a bad battery.
Nope no codes at all

hmm I hope if its the fuel pump thats under my warranty lol haha...but i seriously thought i was gunna need a tow cuz i was cranking on it on and off for like 2-3 min before it wanted to start.
WhtSuperStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 04:06 PM   #4
Maniak's Avatar  
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Highland Park, IL
Posts: 7,953
 
Maniak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Highland Park, IL
Posts: 7,953
Casino cash: $4903600
1.63 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhtSuperStang View Post
Nope no codes at all

hmm I hope if its the fuel pump thats under my warranty lol haha...but i seriously thought i was gunna need a tow cuz i was cranking on it on and off for like 2-3 min before it wanted to start.
i mean, thats what i think it is, im no expert tech by any means ( ) but that what my csvt did when my fuel pump went...
Maniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:24 PM   #5
WhtSuperStang's Avatar
Jack Bauer > Chuck Norris
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,728
Jack Bauer > Chuck Norris
 
WhtSuperStang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,728
Casino cash: $4610000
0.91 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniak View Post
i mean, thats what i think it is, im no expert tech by any means ( ) but that what my csvt did when my fuel pump went...
Ill be so mad Im dont wanna spend anymore money, all i have is a deductable with the warranty but ive had to replace the following recently

thermostat housing
powersteering pump
clutch master cyl.
tensioner pulley
ideler pulley
tires

I just wanna save so i cant finally have Kurgan tune my car lol

All in all i cant complain this has been a fantastic car next to what my DSM put me through and all i have had to do is general maintenance on it
WhtSuperStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:19 PM   #6
Maniak's Avatar  
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Highland Park, IL
Posts: 7,953
 
Maniak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Highland Park, IL
Posts: 7,953
Casino cash: $4903600
1.63 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhtSuperStang View Post
thermostat housing
powersteering pump
clutch master cyl.
tensioner pulley
ideler pulley


All in all i cant complain this has been a fantastic car next to what my DSM put me through and all i have had to do is general maintenance on it
that sounds like a little more than general maintenance
Maniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:11 PM   #7
wolfe's Avatar
in black sheep's clothing
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Si Oh Em Pee Tee Oh En
Posts: 17,497
in black sheep's clothing
 
wolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Si Oh Em Pee Tee Oh En
Posts: 17,497
Casino cash: $4935000
4.27 per day
Default

My sister in laws navigator was doing the same thing. I pulled the plugs out and the gap was more than double what it should've been (OE plugs with a ton of miles on them). I put new plugs in it and it's run like a top since.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZZy View Post
We have the GFY chromosome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon03 View Post
my vagina to big for your little jaun peepee
wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:19 PM   #8
WhtSuperStang's Avatar
Jack Bauer > Chuck Norris
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,728
Jack Bauer > Chuck Norris
 
WhtSuperStang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,728
Casino cash: $4610000
0.91 per day
Default

i may just try that, whats the plug of choice for these SVTF's?
WhtSuperStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:20 PM   #9
WhtSuperStang's Avatar
Jack Bauer > Chuck Norris
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,728
Jack Bauer > Chuck Norris
 
WhtSuperStang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,728
Casino cash: $4610000
0.91 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniak View Post
that sounds like a little more than general maintenance
I guess i should say common issues with the SVTF? still couldnt be happier with it.
WhtSuperStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:41 PM   #10
Rotard's Avatar
No respect
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,230
No respect
 
Rotard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,230
Casino cash: $4610000
1.18 per day
Default

Run Motorcraft ones.

I have to change mine out and STILL have to get the car re-tuned (no free time). Mine's running like complete ass also, and it needs alignment and tires BAD.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by IZZy View Post
true shoutbox whores even in times of selflesness dig deep inside themselves and find the courage to whore
New car in the stable: 1989 VW Golf GTI, 16 valve

Rotard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:00 PM   #11
WhtSuperStang's Avatar
Jack Bauer > Chuck Norris
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,728
Jack Bauer > Chuck Norris
 
WhtSuperStang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,728
Casino cash: $4610000
0.91 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotard View Post
Run Motorcraft ones.

I have to change mine out and STILL have to get the car re-tuned (no free time). Mine's running like complete ass also, and it needs alignment and tires BAD.
yea ill prolly get those tomorrow then

mines not running like crap just that weird starting problem? otherwise it runs amazing!

my cars outa alignment again and i got it re aligned like 4 months ago, i think its the nature of the beast with our suspention...

I have tires for sale in the for sale section
WhtSuperStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:35 PM   #12
Rotard's Avatar
No respect
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,230
No respect
 
Rotard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,230
Casino cash: $4610000
1.18 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhtSuperStang View Post
yea ill prolly get those tomorrow then

mines not running like crap just that weird starting problem? otherwise it runs amazing!

my cars outa alignment again and i got it re aligned like 4 months ago, i think its the nature of the beast with our suspention...

I have tires for sale in the for sale section
I saw those, I just need more of an all season tire though. Summer time after the GTI is on the road I'm looking to focus on the Focus. Between school and work and other stuff I can't have the car down long enough to fix the little things.

Here's hoping the plugs work out for you Try cleaning your TB while your at it too.
Rotard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 04:08 PM   #13
svtfoci's Avatar  
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 391
 
svtfoci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 391
Casino cash: $4615200
0.08 per day
Default

does the car start when you hold it all the way to the floor. i would say most ;likely your idle air control has gone south.when it does start do the rpms increase to about a grand or does it just idle normal in the 700 range.
here is another test for you
The engine is hard to start at times. The fuel pressure has been checked and is good as the problem occurs. There are no codes set in the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). We have been unable to verify the complaint.
Tests/Procedures: 1. As the problem occurs, monitor the Check engine light to verify it goes off during cranking.

2. If the Check engine light stays on cranking, this is a sign that the PCM is not receiving a good signal form the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP).

3. If the light does go off cranking, have the customer depress the accelerator pedal just a tad bit. This will allow air to enter the engine and by-pass the Idle Air Control Valve (IAC).

4. If the engine starts with the accelerator depressed, suspect a sticking IAC valve
svtfoci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:29 AM   #14
WhtSuperStang's Avatar
Jack Bauer > Chuck Norris
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,728
Jack Bauer > Chuck Norris
 
WhtSuperStang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,728
Casino cash: $4610000
0.91 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtfoci View Post
does the car start when you hold it all the way to the floor. i would say most ;likely your idle air control has gone south.when it does start do the rpms increase to about a grand or does it just idle normal in the 700 range.
here is another test for you
The engine is hard to start at times. The fuel pressure has been checked and is good as the problem occurs. There are no codes set in the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). We have been unable to verify the complaint.
Tests/Procedures: 1. As the problem occurs, monitor the Check engine light to verify it goes off during cranking.

2. If the Check engine light stays on cranking, this is a sign that the PCM is not receiving a good signal form the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP).

3. If the light does go off cranking, have the customer depress the accelerator pedal just a tad bit. This will allow air to enter the engine and by-pass the Idle Air Control Valve (IAC).

4. If the engine starts with the accelerator depressed, suspect a sticking IAC valve
great post thank you!

maybe it is the IAC...another thing the car does is when coming to a stop some times when i stop the rpms will stumble down to almost bogging the car out then raise right back up...could this be another symptom?
WhtSuperStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 04:56 PM   #15
svtfoci's Avatar  
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 391
 
svtfoci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 391
Casino cash: $4615200
0.08 per day
Default

clean your mas air flow but i would say im almost 100% iac. cause the iac dont know how much air is going in.
svtfoci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 03:58 PM   #16
WhtSuperStang's Avatar
Jack Bauer > Chuck Norris
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,728
Jack Bauer > Chuck Norris
 
WhtSuperStang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,728
Casino cash: $4610000
0.91 per day
Default

to update... the car hasnt had that issue since i posted (go figure) and i pulled the plugs to see if they were bad but they were ok. I am just going to leave it as is for now

I havent looked into the IAC yet but Im sure ill need one.
WhtSuperStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:44 AM   #17
Rafal@LastDetailAutoSpa's Avatar  
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 801
 
Rafal@LastDetailAutoSpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 801
Casino cash: $4610000
0.18 per day
Default

this sounds exactly what happened to me on my lightning before.. it ended being the IAC as it was sticking... try cleaning it for now before you buy a new one.

Rafal
Rafal@LastDetailAutoSpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:05 AM   #18
WhtSuperStang's Avatar
Jack Bauer > Chuck Norris
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,728
Jack Bauer > Chuck Norris
 
WhtSuperStang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,728
Casino cash: $4610000
0.91 per day
Default

thanks Rafal, how do you clean an IAC?
WhtSuperStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.6 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
no new posts