VW owners stripping their cars before returning them due to Dieselgate

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
So true. I sold mine pre scandal and I took a bath on resale. But I am also glad to not have to deal with this.

The funniest ones are the absolute idiots on the VW forum that willingly sold their cars private party after the scandal hit and are upset that they're only getting half the restitution money.

I browse the tdi forum once or twice a week looking for more info on the ea288 fix, but have to leave after about 4 minutes because of the stupidity.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Just to help clarify how much of a douche that guy in the golf is...these are the buyback amounts for his 2015. The base price for that car was $18k.

If his was just a base manual with no options (which appears to be likely) and he paid full MSRP + taxes that's around $19.3k OTD. If he added on the maintenance package maybe it was $20k.

He gets to sell it back for $22,700. On top of that, he received the $1000 in loyalty cash that VW sent out about a year ago. So VW paid him $3500+ to drive that car for a year and a half.

There's a small mileage adjustment, but only above 12k miles per year

You really have to be a shitty person to do something like that when you've been given such a gift.

Attachments

• Golf2.jpg
    Golf2.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 111

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Wow, I need to not look at that. Making money, crazy! I had my VW (12 Beetle) for 18 months and had to fight the dealer to not go underwater. Ended up selling it for 16,5.

My wife paid $27.5k for her Passat and the buyback is $30,100. Lol. That's at 2 years old with 30k miles (which is where it will be in spring when we're deciding what to do with it).

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
The place i traded the guy was formerly from a VW dealership so he was very hard to argue up as he knew the off lease prices. They ultimately drive what dealers will pay for a used car. He could get 20 just like the one we traded in for that price or less. Since it is a lease they had made enough money on the car to be able to sell them less and therefore it drove the market down a bit.

And yes I agree the Beetle is more of a niche car and goes to a certain buyer. My wife loved it and I honestly didn't mind the style of the latest generation. Very spacious inside as well.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
nuh ugh no no no its not the owners car its vw's...... :picard: was the vehicle not purchased? if it was vw vehicle still why would they have to pay to get their own vehicle back? wouldnt vw just confiscate them or repo them if they still owned them?

youve said some dumb shit but this ranks up there.

these are still vw's vehicles :rofl: umm no thats why they need to buy out the owners to get them back as punishment from the diesel gate mess.

:picard:

ps blame russia...... :s00ls:

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
nuh ugh no no no its not the owners car its vw's...... :picard: was the vehicle not purchased? if it was vw vehicle still why would they have to pay to get their own vehicle back? wouldnt vw just confiscate them or repo them if they still owned them?

youve said some dumb shit but this ranks up there.

these are still vw's vehicles :rofl: umm no thats why they need to buy out the owners to get them back as punishment from the diesel gate mess.

:picard:

ps blame russia...... :s00ls:
I almost guarantee most of these turds have a loan out on these cars which means they don't own it

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
I almost guarantee most of these turds have a loan out on these cars which means they don't own it

Well then the banks own them then. :s00ls:

Once they hit the dealer lots VW sure in the fuck doesnt own them anymore....

:iorofl:

hit like above because yes i agree some may have hell most likely have a loan against them point is VW for damn sure doesnt own them as dickmint is claiming.......

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Volkswagen Refuses To Buy Back The Stripped-Out Car Right Now

i really hope they do make this shithead take them to court.

If they refuse the buy out id put the bitch back together and keep driving it then what?

update to that article shows a letter directly from VW doesnt say a damn thing about them being stripped. Screw that dealer i hope the guy wins the case.

Hes just playing by the rules.... :s00ls:

Until VW themselves say they wont accept a running albeit stripped vehicle the dealership can get bent.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Well then the banks own them then. :s00ls:

Once they hit the dealer lots VW sure in the fuck doesnt own them anymore....

:iorofl:

hit like above because yes i agree some may have hell most likely have a loan against them point is VW for damn sure doesnt own them as dickmint is claiming.......
They're still destroying something they don't own. I agree vw doesn't own them till they. It them back. Douches gonna douche though.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Judge Warns Volkswagen Diesel Owners To Stop Stripping Cars

Judge Warns Volkswagen Diesel Owners To Stop Stripping Cars

Image art: Jason Torchinsky
According to USA Today, VW Diesel owners’ burning question “Can we strip our VW diesels before we turn them in for the buyback?” has officially been answered straight from the judge’s mouth: no.

The news site says that today, at a status conference for the Volkswagen 2.0-liter “clean diesel” settlement, Volkswagen attorney Robert Giuffra told the judge “a handful of owners have brought in vehicles that have been regrettably, deliberately stripped of parts.”

Giuffra made mention of the story we broke about a Cincinnati man who stripped out “almost every part” including the airbags. Giuffra pleaded to the judge that this behavior “goes too far...they should not be engaging in deliberate parts stripping.”

Judge Breyer of the U.S. District Court of Northern California, who has been presiding over all things Dieselgate since the beginning, addressed the issue, saying:

I would echo that...Clearly the purpose of the agreement by Volkswagen was to accept these cars in the condition that they were in as they were being driven on the road, and not to strip the cars.
That sounds a lot like the “spirit of the buyback” logic that VW told Joe Mayer after postponing his buyback appointment.

Judge Breyer went on, saying to VW owners:

A word of caution is appropriate at the time.
USA Today also says attorney for the Federal Trade Commission, Jonathan Cohen, mentioned that the FTC is “absolutely against bad-faith behavior by consumers.” He went on to make clear, though, that VW can’t reject a vehicle based on its “superficial condition,” which USA Today infers to simply mean that normal wear and tear is allowable.

The news site says Judge Breyer went on to threaten official action if the issue continues— presumably in the form of amendments to the Consent Decree with verbiage prohibiting stripping.

What this means for people like Joe Mayer from Cincinnati, who already stripped his car, is unclear.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info