VW owners stripping their cars before returning them due to Dieselgate

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
You still bought the car with a front bumper, wheels, etc. They are paying for that in the buy back. A lot of people, years into their loans want to get out of it. Chances are, they are getting out of thousands of dollars of interest and are able to buy a new car since their old loan was paid off.

You bought a car as is, you sell it the same way. Same goes for private party. You have a car for 3 years, spend $3,000 in maintenance. Do you ask the buyer to pay for that in addition to the fair market value? No, you do not.

Same point with selling the car back to the manufacturer.

You may have missed the point I was making,

"You bought a car as is, you sell it the same way. Same goes for private party. You have a car for 3 years, spend $3,000 in maintenance. Do you ask the buyer to pay for that in addition to the fair market value? No, you do not."

So you are saying if you were selling a car you wouldn't ask more for it compared to another even if you just installed brand new tires and brakes compared to one without any maintenance history?

I've sold 50+ used cars, and I can tell you full stop that I absolutely will ask for more money than a comparable car or truck if mine has a documented repair or maintenance history. In fact its a significant sale point if I'm asking money for a car or truck I'm selling.

The point I'm making is that the buy back deal effectively favors people who didn't maintain their cars as far as pay out $ goes. This is likely to upset some, and 'the ship sailed' as far as making those people whole again.

Make no mistake, I'm not advocating people remove their bumpers/headlights/etc, I think that's just stupid. I'm just saying I can see how some people wouldn't be satisfied with just what they are getting paid out by VW.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
I agree it is a dick move, but so is cheating on emissions and mpg and lying to everyone for a while and profiting from it.

i don't know any owner affected by this that was so incensed they really felt they had to extra fuck vw back to grr teach them a lesson. aren't they overall being well compensated for these things anyway?

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
You may have missed the point I was making,

"You bought a car as is, you sell it the same way. Same goes for private party. You have a car for 3 years, spend $3,000 in maintenance. Do you ask the buyer to pay for that in addition to the fair market value? No, you do not."

So you are saying if you were selling a car you wouldn't ask more for it compared to another even if you just installed brand new tires and brakes compared to one without any maintenance history?

I've sold 50+ used cars, and I can tell you full stop that I absolutely will ask for more money than a comparable car or truck if mine has a documented repair or maintenance history. In fact its a significant sale point if I'm asking money for a car or truck I'm selling.

The point I'm making is that the buy back deal effectively favors people who didn't maintain their cars as far as pay out $ goes. This is likely to upset some, and 'the ship sailed' as far as making those people whole again.

Make no mistake, I'm not advocating people remove their bumpers/headlights/etc, I think that's just stupid. I'm just saying I can see how some people wouldn't be satisfied with just what they are getting paid out by VW.

I too, have sold a lot of cars private party and you do NOT get your money back for aftermarket parts or maintenance items. Sure, you CAN list it for higher than other comparable cars and make SOME money off it. That doesn't grant you the ability to ask for 5K over what an extremely well conditioned/maintained comparable car is going for.

Now, you have a buyer, but, he only wants to pay xxx dollars. Are you going to say "Well, you're asking 2K under my asking price, I'll sell you the car, less the front bumper, tires and brakes." I highly doubt that. You'd negotiate or move on to another buyer.

Do you trade in cars to dealers and tell them if they don't give you what you want out of the car you'll strip it? Nope, you probably won't.

I understand your point, but, this is NOT about that. This is about people literally taking off factory installed components that have zero to do with maintenance and are selling them back. It's one thing to sell back a flawless car affected by this with new tires, etc. It's another to sell back a car less front bumpers, wheels, seats, interior components, etc.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
This VW Diesel Owner Is About To Turn In A Completely Stripped Car

pw7r6yvunuxzlqijnzjh.png

ozlrxlwz5lutswlgoghn.png

fukr6ajhj93zcw2tlyac.png

rqubvbp4c1jrxvkojtvu.png

tjqusrbgyyfmzmqpxqlq.png

j0edhduiidid8qpej0bu.png

qjclkmhlrqia6vbr7t8u.png

bkf4nvxotof9lewuv3zg.png

m5xtqylc0egjgzymq9va.png

gsj9qwaypegw62c8mcv4.png

jg5jmbqk44gzvvxx8ibi.png

bfv6hormi9kqrpxa75yt.png

k3m9nzmbmhw6f4anldmq.png

yxlam41rdlbjs6pdvnn7.png

p4vez0dufmxggw7kf9fw.png

kvp4eefgjelxh0sgub5r.png

SAVAGE

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Glad folks find this crap amusing. All the time spent to strip a car of parts that will soon have such a flooded parts market that all that shit sitting around will have zero value. To those suggesting they'll just be crushed, I haven't heard anything about that either. Regardless, my first point stands.

It's just childish.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
and then the parts off the gasser have zero value. And for what? So your buddy with a gasser has new doors? That match, or maybe they dont? I mean seriously. WTF do you need to swap on a car? Stereo and seats maybe, lights - MAYBE. Beyond that?

You're just being an idiot.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
and then the parts off the gasser have zero value. And for what? So your buddy with a gasser has new doors? That match, or maybe they dont? I mean seriously. WTF do you need to swap on a car? Stereo and seats maybe, lights - MAYBE. Beyond that?

You're just being an idiot.

I'm referring to I have an interior panel that is scuffed or you have fancier wheels than I do.

Not to the extent of swapping parts just to swap parts.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
I doubt they will be crushed, but they cant be resold without the "fix". I can see some being offshored to a 3rd world country with no regulations. Some lucky dude is going to trade his 150cc scooter for a stripped out TDI that spews 40x the EPA limit :rofl:

Volkswagen may resell or export vehicles that are bought back or for which the lease is terminated only after performing an EPA and CARB approved emission modification. If there is no approved emissions modification, the vehicles will be recycled or scrapped.

https://www.epa.gov/enforcement/volkswagen-clean-air-act-partial-settlement

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
[MENTION=6359]N20GT[/MENTION]

when are we stripping yours down?

only thing I'd consider would be swapping out the 18" wheels for some cheap steel ones, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. The buyback amounts on these are crazy, VW is paying up big time.

Overall there's no justification for this, 99.5% of affected TDI owners hit the lotto when the "scandal" happened. They're getting literally 125+% of the PRE SCANDAL NADA values for these cars and still they think they're entitled to more.

Not all apples are bad; but like I was saying a few posts ago, I can see some people having been wronged past just the restitution money that are getting screwed due to the wording in the by back.

Ex: So you have 60,000 miles on your TDI, and you replace your tires, and do a bunch of other dealer recommended service (Maybe Brakes too?)to the tune of say $2,000 because you plan on keeping the car for a long time.

The scandal 'drops', and suddenly your car is worthless, and you spent 2 grand on it effectively putting you pretty far into the 'hole'. You are still making payments on the car, and could be easily thousands and thousands upside down now.

The buyback finally happens, and yes you get some restitution money out of it, but that $2,000 you spent you will never see again (and you wouldn't have spent on the car had you known what was about to go down), and you can't exactly 'get back out' of the car.

Have you looked at the buyback amounts? Nobody is going to end up upside down on this. The only people that got legitimately screwed are ones that had an HPFP failure out of warranty after the scandal , if that happened to me I'd be stripping that car down to nothing. Lol

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info