Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
These types of jobs definitely have a place in society. They are stepping stones. They teach you how to work, responsibility (well some), the joy of making an income, etc etc.

But they are NOT meant to be a living for a grown ass adult, unless you make a career out of it and become mr manger or some shit. The ones asking for $15 MINIMUM are the ones who are trying to just slide by in life dodging responsibility. They are being taught its ok bc society doesnt want to come out and say STOP BEING A LAZY FUCK.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Yeah, if anything, jobs like these were good for kids, because it at least taught them basic monetary skills, basic responsibility, and basic accountability. Obviously it's small potatoes (no pun intended) but it gives them a leg up to kids that have zero work experience coming out of college or high school, and only have what's been learned in the classroom.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
I mean its even great for college students. Its an income but doesnt completely interfere with education.

Same goes with serving at restaurants. But i consider that above working a register or flipping burgers. That teaches you people skills, communication, math, etc. That type of job I think has a place for EVERYONE, regardless of age.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
Once again, posted by somebody with no kids.

Those jobs existed before the "pussification". Not everybody is cut out nor meant for landscaping and brick work. Busting ass and learning good work value has nothing to do with the actual job itself. I'm sure somebody somewhere else also thinks landscaping and brick work are easy peezy pussy jobs.

I don't know that anyone thinks that unless you're just riding around on a lawn mower all day.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Shit, I worked throughout high school and college, while also being in sports every season while in high school (12 season athlete). Worked nights or weekends at Osco or at the local park district being a lifeguard and swim instructor, in college I was landscaper for a summer (that shit IS hard work), I was a maintenance guy at a camp in Wisconsin (fuck that place, 12+ hour days, 6 days a week, $180/week). I think that helped prepare me more for the working world than my friends that had never worked. But who knows.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
Honestly, what does having kids have to do with this? I was a kid at one point. If I wanted something, I had to work for it, not have it handed to me.

There are many things that can be done if a kid has ambitions to do good.

Deliver newspapers, find part-time data entry jobs (always a need at companies ) mow lawns, learn to paint, babysit, work at a theatre, cashier at a gas station, something.

If I ever had kids, I would be very hard on them. I learned the hard way because we were dirt poor. I would mow lawns, paint stairs and porches and do other things for a few dollars. Things that took hours to complete and I was half-way decent at it too.

This day and age, parents feels their kids should start working at a young age, but, make good money doing so. That's not how any of this works. As long as we have parents that feel their child should be entitled, the pussification will NOT end.

I'm glad I grew up doing what I did and am at the border of being a millennial, even though I have firm beliefs to work hard, even if it's for a little money. Hell, I used to scrub toilets and clean peoples homes for my mother's cleaning service for 8 bucks an hour and usually took a bus to some of the jobs hand carrying the vacuum and equipment if they didn't have it. What has changed in 20 years where kids are faced with doing the same things, but, they want way more money.

$35 to mow the lawn? Fuck that. If I was still a kid, if you handed me a five dollar bill, the lawn would be moved, I'd ask if you needed me to take your garbage out, sweep your driveway, etc.

As far as $15 for minimum wage, I 100% disagree with it. Nothing can be done now.

2QuikTA

Addict
May 30, 2011
A grown ass adult can be a career cashier at McDonald's. It's just not a very good career with a not very good living. The problem these days is that people believe they should be able to work at McDonald's while owning a nice car, buying the new iPhone, PlayStation, etc.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
It won't necessarily fit all careers, but I suggest having a kid start in the same field that they want to work in.

You want to be a veterinarian, work at a shelter.

You want to be a mechanic, work at jiffy lube.

Experience, even the entry level jobs like these, really help you later on.

Landscaping was my very first job after I quit changing oil(made it 3 days) and I couldn't be picky I just wanted money.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
The one thing they do sometimes that drives me up a wall is when they try to re-ring up your order some fancy way to try to save you 25 cents....

Like you'll order a few tacos at Taco Bell along with a large drink. Then theyll start changing it to a number 3 large size, add another taco, etc...

I swear anytime they start doing that shit I end up with something wrong. Just ring it up the way I'm saying it so it doesnt get all jacked up.

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2010
North Aurora
The one thing they do sometimes that drives me up a wall is when they try to re-ring up your order some fancy way to try to save you 25 cents....

Like you'll order a few tacos at Taco Bell along with a large drink. Then theyll start changing it to a number 3 large size, add another taco, etc...

I swear anytime they start doing that shit I end up with something wrong. Just ring it up the way I'm saying it so it doesnt get all jacked up.

Makes me want to strangle the cashier most of the time. I really don't care about saving some change. Just place my order the way I said it and charge me.

YoushallgoFo

TCG Elite Member
Dec 26, 2008
yeah i don't know which shitty mcDonalds you're all going to but the one in Schaumburg is nice as hell. They never fuck up my order and if you go inside they bring it to you and throw out your garbage.

As far as technology goes, if you can automate part of your business and have it work then do it. Kids better start learning how to code.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
The one in Schaumburg....

There's probably 5 of them in Schaumburg, which one are you talking about? :bowrofl:

Please don't say Schaumburg and Barrington roads, because they just fucked up my breakfast order this past Saturday. :rofl:

Probably the new one on Golf next to Chick-fil-a. Its an upscale MCD.

And yes, that sch/barrington road sucks :rofl:

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
Surprised no one has mentioned the $13/hour minimum wage going into effect for all of Cook county soon. I wonder if they are preparing to cut staff. $13 is going to squeeze already struggling small biz retailers. It's not drastically increasing, $1/year starting in June, but still a nearly $5 bump from the current rate by 2020.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info