There's your $15 an Hour

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I was a big proponent of waiting on tables. I made much more money than I would have in a retail job. Sure, the hours kind of suck. But when you're young, the parties don't start until the restaurant closes.

In retail, I was making $7/hour stocking shelves at Osco. At the restaurant, I was making $15-18/hour waiting on tables. And I got to meet some interesting people. Good times. You'll have to take into consideration this was the mid-to-late 90's and early 2000's for the end of my waiter days.

DJ

Forum Sponsor
Oct 20, 2005
Okay I have to use one to see the interface. I used to be a fan of self check out at grocery stores too. Now they are more of a pain in the ass. Especially Meyer's POS system. It seems that almost every time the one Meyer employee watching over 6 self check outs has to come in and type their password. All because the fucking wind blew hard and it read something faulty on the bagging scale.

zenriddles

Guns don't kill people, 'vaccines' do
Aug 18, 2005
Holiday Inn
Just about every fast food place I saw in Europe (mainly at airports) had these already in (Summer 16). People didn't use them unless they had to.

Up in Montreal, off Sherbrooke just north of the Olympic Stadium there is a McD's that has had it for over a year.

It's ok. Not super intuitive to an old fart, but I got through it.

2QuikTA

Addict
May 30, 2011
I don't mind this at all but where the hell are HS kids suppose to work if everything is going in this direction?

It makes me curious how many people in this thread have kids. Where are teenagers supposed to work if retail stores are closing, and McDonald's is going self order. Serious question. When you don't have kids, it's easy to sit on your hands and say "they should just figure it out"

I haven't been here long, but this site seems to mainly be 25-45 with no kids.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
I usually dont, but when I touch high traffic areas, like public bathrooms and such, I use it. Watching people touch their wang, then proceed to grab the door handle is pretty nasty.

Especially when at a food establishment. If you wash your hands but the guy before doesnt, you second hand touched his junk. Only to then put it in your mouth as you eat. No thanks.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
It makes me curious how many people in this thread have kids. Where are teenagers supposed to work if retail stores are closing, and McDonald's is going self order. Serious question. When you don't have kids, it's easy to sit on your hands and say "they should just figure it out"

4 kids...oldest is 7. Salon, movie theater, golf courses, babysitting, etc. Just a few places I think will have teenage jobs around for a while.

It's sad for kids for sure, but companies aren't charities. When people start demanding livable wages for jobs that are not meant to be full time careers, automation will take over and kill the job all together. With technology becoming cheaper and cheaper this is going to be a growing trend for years to come.

Government should have never gotten involved by raising minimum wages, and speeding up the process.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Have fun touching piss on the screen since the dude in front of you didnt wash after the bathroom.

#Ifyoudontalreadycarrysanitizeryoushouldstart

Meh, the same can be said about any public surface....

The guy in front of you at the ATM, The guy in front of you at the gas pump, the guy in front of you using the front door to you work, etc.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
4 kids...oldest is 7. Salon, movie theater, golf courses, babysitting, etc. Just a few places I think will have teenage jobs around for a while.

It's sad for kids for sure, but companies aren't charities. When people start demanding livable wages for jobs that are not meant to be full time careers, automation will take over and kill the job all together. With technology becoming cheaper and cheaper this is going to be a growing trend for years to come.

Government should have never gotten involved by raising minimum wages, and speeding up the process.

I would say landscaping and shoveling driveways, but the last little kid wanted $35 to mow my lawn... :gtfo2:

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013

Our family growing up mainly officiated younger rec leagues, helped with rec department projects (mostly landscaping stuff), did waiting/bussing, baby sat, mowed/shoveled, helped people in the neighborhood with home projects, etc....

For those who are terribly unathletic (and/or obese), unmotivated, and who have bad attitudes, maybe none of those things will work for them... but for those willing to put in the effort, there are probably still other options besides fast food and retail.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I think having those jobs being automated is a blessing for the younger generation. They'll either have to find jobs where more skill is needed and the work is more challenging. It will help their development. I have a son that is 5, and I'm definitely going to discourage him from working retail when he gets to the age.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
The job pay should be dictated on market, not artificially

I have no problem with minimum wage; tie that to some sort of consumer price index based on location ($20K a year in Chicago is poverty, whereas out in the country, it's not too bad).

My logic is always; if you can have someone come in that day or tomorrow and do your job as effectively as you were, it doesn't deserve artificially higher pay, it should be dictated on what someone would get paid to do it. If you can get someone who meets the requirements and who will accept $9/hr to do it, that's the market.

2QuikTA

Addict
May 30, 2011
'sad for kids'.... :rofl:

Maybe the unavailability of these easy peezy jobs will start to reverse the pussification of this country.

I've never worked a FF job, my first job was landscaping and brick work. Busted ass and learned good work value.

Once again, posted by somebody with no kids.

Those jobs existed before the "pussification". Not everybody is cut out nor meant for landscaping and brick work. Busting ass and learning good work value has nothing to do with the actual job itself. I'm sure somebody somewhere else also thinks landscaping and brick work are easy peezy pussy jobs.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info