The Supra will debut in March

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
But still 300lbs worth 2X the price? You're selling a name badge at that point.

I'm not saying it will be twice the car. I don't think people looking at one will be cross shopping a Mustang or Camaro either. And who knows, the Supra might suck. We will have to wait and see.

Unless it gets a killer trans like the new mustangs it wont matter.

400 hp minimum or it wont sell worth a shit.

Says who? You?

The BRZ makes small power I see them everywhere. More so than power is why people buy cars.

And by killer trans I hope you are referring to the A10 and not the MT-82. lmfao

2018 Camaro V6 1LE is less than 3500 pounds and would eat its lunch for less money too.

You must have all kinds of inside info to the Supra to say that. Please share with the rest of us.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
I'm not saying it will be twice the car. I don't think people looking at one will be cross shopping a Mustang or Camaro either. And who knows, the Supra might suck. We will have to wait and see.

Says who? You?

The BRZ makes small power I see them everywhere. More so than power is why people buy cars.

And by killer trans I hope you are referring to the A10 and not the MT-82. lmfao

You must have all kinds of inside info to the Supra to say that. Please share with the rest of us.

People NOT willing to cross shop a Camaro / Mustang are retarded given their performance per dollar.

I see more fucking hellcats driving around than BRZs :rofl: Horsepower sells period.

Of course i meant A10 sorry i didnt use a coloring crayon for you.

All kinds of insider info? Ill claim to be just as much as an "expert" as you....

:iorofl:

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Of course i meant A10 sorry i didnt use a coloring crayon for you.

I figured you meant the A10. Because we're pretty sure the only stick you could handle on on a video game controller. Oh snap! haha

The fact the Supra will not have a manual trans is troubling to me. But Porsche wanted to drop the stick. I can see fewer and fewer cars being optioned without a manual trans. Kind of sad to think of that being the case.

But if there is no plan for a manual trans for the Supra, what is their target buyer? Maybe it is someone who buys on looks and brand name versus track prowess. I guess we will have to wait and see. I just hope there are a ton of different levels of the car from mild to wild. Not sure wild will include a lot of power though.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill

The it's price point is shot IMO. The Supra should be competing against Mustang/Camaro. Not M4 engine for probably more than M4 money

When I think Supra I sure don't think Camaro & Mustang.

The last couple generations of Supra were a lot more than the Mustang of the Era. I just looked up a 1998 Supra. The most extensive one started at $41K. It said the most expensive Mustang was a 1998 SVT Cobra cvt at $28.5K. Even the earlier 1993 Supra was $34K versus the 1993 GT cvt at $21K. A 1993 Cobra was only $18.5K. The Supra was not a direct competitor then and I don't think they intend it to be now.

The Supra has never occupied the same price point as the Camaro and Mustang (except may be specialties like the Cobra R and now GT350R).

And at the time GM really didn't have a UberCamaro.

Gotta remember that the Mk4 Supra, Mitsu 3000GT VR4, and RX7 were 40k to 50K for top tier versions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oJHwyFoenc

Camaro's and Mustangs were WAY less, closer to half that price. The closest things GM had would be the GNX, 89 Turbo TransAM, and 91-92 SLP Firehawk.

That said, GM has done wonders with the 6th gen chassis. The V6 1LE is phenomenal by all accounts, only lacking in straight line punch, but they make a V8 version for that.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
The Supra has never occupied the same price point as the Camaro and Mustang (except may be specialties like the Cobra R and now GT350R).

Gotta remember that the Mk4 Supra, Mitsu 3000GT VR4, and RX7 were 40k to 50K for top tier versions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oJHwyFoenc

Camaro's and Mustangs were WAY less, closer to half that price. The closest things GM had would be the GNX, 89 Turbo TransAM, and 91-92 SLP Firehawk.

That said, GM has done wonders with the 6th gen chassis. The V6 1LE is phenomenal by all accounts, only lacking in straight line punch, but they make a V8 version for that.

You forgot the Sy/Tys. They were $$$$$$.

That said, I almost think it's stupid of them to make this car. Call it something else. It's going to be like the GTO, no matter how good it is a let down.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
I’m not up to date on my Supra fanboyism, did the earlier ones use a Toyota engine? I’m disappointed an iconic Asian nameplate is shipping with a German engine.

Yeah, the 2JZ was a Toyota Engine. That said, I wonder if their stable was a bit thin on inline 6es. They have largely gone away.

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
When I think Supra I sure don't think Camaro & Mustang.

The last couple generations of Supra were a lot more than the Mustang of the Era. I just looked up a 1998 Supra. The most extensive one started at $41K. It said the most expensive Mustang was a 1998 SVT Cobra cvt at $28.5K. Even the earlier 1993 Supra was $34K versus the 1993 GT cvt at $21K. A 1993 Cobra was only $18.5K. The Supra was not a direct competitor then and I don't think they intend it to be now.

You guys are talking about a car from 20 years ago. When the American offerings were SHIT in the day. IMO. Compared to the Japan cars of the time

what ive learned from this thread.

if a car isn't cheaper than a new mustang and doesn't have similar horsepowers to a new mustang, no matter ANYTHING else... it's fucking SHIT

:rofl:
My point was more that the Mustang and Camaro are such a bargain per price that it would be silly on toyota's part to not have a car that is on par with them for the same amount of money.

Take a GTR for example. It blew them away when it came out and became a fan boy craze. I want that for the Supra.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
I don't know why...but I just assumed this thing was going to be a Nissan GTR type competitor.

If this thing is under 400hp and the same price of a Mustang/Camaro....I think it flops. Few fanboi's will buy it right away, but don't see that appealing to the masses.

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
I don't know why...but I just assumed this thing was going to be a Nissan GTR type competitor.

If this thing is under 400hp and the same price of a Mustang/Camaro....I think it flops. Few fanboi's will buy it right away, but don't see that appealing to the masses.

I was hoping it would compete against the gtr also. This sucks if it will have 400hp

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
I was pumped for the return of the Supra.

However, the old Turbo models were 320HP. 20 years later, they get an 80HP bump?

Doesn't seem like much. Unless this thing weighs 3,000LBS, I don't see it beating much of the competition, especially the 6th gen Camaro that can run 11's stock and is priced around 40K

Let's see what happens on the debut.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info