Tesla Product Announcement at 7pm Central Time

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
The kind of people not impressed by Tesla performance are the same as those sweaty kids that go to KOTS and walk through the pits critiquing every car and making fun of anything with an auto trans claiming any car they get will be a manual

THIS. SO MUCH THIS. Most of them are the guy at the car show that critiques everyone's build and secretly wants the owner of the car to hear him taking them down a notch. I'm not saying that's anyone in this thread but the attitude certainly exists.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Two pretty neat tidbits:

Autonomous Computer

This is the beast Tesla chose to run the computing side of the autonomous system:

Nvidia-Drive-PX2.jpg

It's a liquid cooled monster with a price tag of $15,000 as of earlier this year. Obviously Tesla is paying probably a fraction of that. The $15,000 pricetag was for the initial test units. Before this came along manufactures were putting rack mount computers in their test cars that required several kWs of power.

Tesla says that initially this system won't be as good as the existing Autopilot cars but because it will be learning. The entire fleet will be active but not doing anything. So basically just monitoring what it sees as it's driving, what it thinks it would do in any given situation and what the drive actually does do.

As a database is built up Tesla will activate more features. As of right now they say the new cars will be on par with current Auto-Pilot cars around December and after that they will be markedly better. Over the next 18 months Tesla will slowly bring more features online as testing and federal regulations allow, until ultimately they have a fully autonomous car.

Just to give everyone an idea of what we're up against here, here's is chart that explains the different levels of autonomy:

AutomatedDriving_table_large.jpg

The current version of Auto-Pilot is considered Level II. The vehicle is able to follow lanes and maintain distance from the car in front of it as well as cars immediately around it but it's not truly aware of it's surroundings. This is basically really good cruise control that can keep you in your lane.

Everyone thought Tesla was going to just improve the system and push us to Level III which is essentially the same thing as far as the driver is concerned except the car is much more aware of it's surroundings. And you don't have to have your hands on the wheel at all. But this would still really only be for the expressway.

Tesla not only jumped right over that but a couple steps further by bringing full autonomy both on the expressway and surface roads, and full driverless autonomy to boot. This was not expected to be a thing until at least 2020 and even then it was only expected to be level IV autonomy, where a driver would still be required in the driver's seat, though wouldn't be required to drive.

Imagine the implications

- Joe drives his car to the train station every day and leaves it there. Now Joe can drive his car to the train station and it will then return to his home where Joe's wife can use it to run errands. The car will automatically return to the train station during Joe's regularly pickup time.

- You go out with some friends and tie one on. It used to be you called a Taxi. Then you called an Uber. Now (pending government approval I'm sure) you'll be able to get in your car piss drunk and it will take you home.

- You drive to Woodfield for Christmas shopping but don't want to park 6 miles away. The car leaves you at the entrance and goes to find a space. When you're ready to leave you summon the car and it returns to the entrance to pick you up.

The Big One

But there's one big one Tesla kind of buried in their fine print: Out-Ubering Uber. Tesla will be coming out with it's own ride-share network. Only instead of relying on you to drive your car, you could just add it to the network and it will leave your house to go get rides. Or you can go to work and it will go out and give rides. You're obviously paid for this. The car will return when summoned by you or will return automatically when it determines it needs to leave wherever it is to get back to where you are in sufficient time in the given traffic conditions.

There is so much exciting stuff here my head is spinning. Tesla even said they will be outfitting certain supercharger stations with articulating chargers that will allow the car to pull in to the space and the charger plug will come out automatically and plug itself into the car. You would theoretically never need to leave the vehicle. So kind of like this but less creepy looking.

tesla-charger.gif

All of this makes me hella happy to have sold my car because the "classic" S's are going to start shedding value here as the richies ditch their ghetto 2015 Autopilot V1 cars for full autonomy.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
So I totally TLDR'd this thread initially...

But on the radio today I heard that they announced fully autonomous driving pending legislative approvals. Hidden in that text was the fact that Tesla will not permit vehicle owners to use their autonomous Tesla for public ride sharing purposes unless on the "Tesla Network" - and the details of what that network is as well as its rules and regulations will be announced in the future.

Sounds like Tesla is preparing to create its own Uber competitor.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
So I totally TLDR'd this thread initially...

But on the radio today I heard that they announced fully autonomous driving pending legislative approvals. Hidden in that text was the fact that Tesla will not permit vehicle owners to use their autonomous Tesla for public ride sharing purposes unless on the "Tesla Network" - and the details of what that network is as well as its rules and regulations will be announced in the future.

Sounds like Tesla is preparing to create its own Uber competitor.

I mentioned that like 76 posts ago! Talk about burying the lead though. If they just come in and slyly out-Uber Uber that would be great considering how generally horrible Uber is to the people that make them money.

On another note, Tesla reported their 3rd quarter earnings today and posted a profit, this despite the billions of cash layout for the Model 3 and the Gigafactory.

https://electrek.co/2016/10/26/tesl...e-a-profit-of-22-million-shareholders-letter/

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Well used teslas are about to go up in value since supercharging will not be limited for them.

Tesla says now only 400kw will be free a year for new models.

I guess I kinda understand why It's happening but really is a negative blow. The whole free supercharging was a huge selling point for me. Kinda gets me down seeing them do this

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
It was never going to be free for the Model 3. They said that from the outset and people found references to entering credit card info for charging in the source code for the Model 3 reservation page a couple months back.

The good news is that Elon said it's not going to be a profit center for them. I don't know what that means specifically but hopefully it means you're just paying for the net cost of electricity.

Looks like my next one will be a 2016 with Autopilot 2.0 hardware, delivered before April 1st 2017. That's going to be a unicorn.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Yea basically if you get a car before that deadline your charging will never be limited, always free. (With the paid supercharger option of course)

It just kinda sucks as that was such a huge selling point at least for me. I'm sure 400kw would be enough for me, but I'm not sure. That's basically one road trip if that depending where you go.

IMHO this could be a game changer for me as far as new cars go. I would really being looking at only pre April 2017 cars now

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info