Sold a used car, now the new owner wants their money back

nick122590

TCG Elite Member
Jul 10, 2011
IOWA
good job staying calm. my dumbass would have probably went looking for them after family threats.

kinda reminds me of the time my buddy sold a tahoe. had like 86k miles. they called back 2weeks later saying its the wrong gauge cluster and it has over 250k miles.... that was a shit show

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
good job staying calm. my dumbass would have probably went looking for them after family threats.

kinda reminds me of the time my buddy sold a tahoe. had like 86k miles. they called back 2weeks later saying its the wrong gauge cluster and it has over 250k miles.... that was a shit show

that seems to be the moral of the story when it comes to tahoes/yukons/ect.. so many of them that ive carfax'd and turned out to be twice the mileage.

nick122590

TCG Elite Member
Jul 10, 2011
IOWA
that seems to be the moral of the story when it comes to tahoes/yukons/ect.. so many of them that ive carfax'd and turned out to be twice the mileage.

he sold it to a cop. my buddy is one stubborn motherfucker. it almost got bad lol. the guy paid kbb value for 86k miles.... they looked it up with the actual miles (i think 257k) and my buddy paid the difference

twinv6gtp

Turbo enthusiast
Jul 27, 2014
I don't know how someone could ever confuse a 250K miles truck with a 86K miles truck...

When I shop for a car that I doubt the mileage, I look at the driver seat. The majority of the time there are signs. Look at similar mileage seats from the same model and area and compare. When mileage is around 150K leathers seats driver side usually show signs of wear or even tears. Of course this depends on driver weight and other factors but it gives a good idea...

Driver seat should always have more wear to show it wasn't changed. Also must not show too much wear at 86K miles. Then if you suspect something, start looking at parts that have been changed (service records). There is a known partterns with cars that needs wheel bearings at 120K miles for example and other things... Also steering buttons, radio buttons, all signs of a lot of wear with a lot of miles.

There is no way I'd get a 250K miles vehicule and believe it was 85K...

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
he sold it to a cop. my buddy is one stubborn motherfucker. it almost got bad lol. the guy paid kbb value for 86k miles.... they looked it up with the actual miles (i think 257k) and my buddy paid the difference

was it ten years old at that time? cuz in illinois, vehicles 10 years of age and older are exempt from mileage disclosure.

wolfe

in black sheep's clothing
Jun 2, 2008
Si Oh Em Pee Tee Oh En
I don't know how someone could ever confuse a 250K miles truck with a 86K miles truck...

When I shop for a car that I doubt the mileage, I look at the driver seat. The majority of the time there are signs. Look at similar mileage seats from the same model and area and compare. When mileage is around 150K leathers seats driver side usually show signs of wear or even tears. Of course this depends on driver weight and other factors but it gives a good idea...

Driver seat should always have more wear to show it wasn't changed. Also must not show too much wear at 86K miles. Then if you suspect something, start looking at parts that have been changed (service records). There is a known partterns with cars that needs wheel bearings at 120K miles for example and other things... Also steering buttons, radio buttons, all signs of a lot of wear with a lot of miles.

Gas and Brake pedals are another good thing to look at. People will clean seats or recover, but they forget about the pedals.

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan

You ASSUME people actually know anything about vehicles now days. Other than taking it back to the dealer most people don't know anything about what to do with their vehicles. You would be suprised how many people you could talk to that dont even know what year vehicle they drive.:pat:

Euro

GM or Nothing
Oct 22, 2007
Roselle
Real Name
Matt
Yep, my guess is that they got bored and are on to the next one. Fuck them, buyer beware and sold AS IS. The dude that bought my Lumina tried that shit a month or so after I sold it to him. "Da chain broke on it and it's a $500 fix man..and the muffler had a hole in it!" ya couldn't tell the car was loud when you drove it? :rofl: I told him to pound sand, and that was the last I heard of him.

A few years back my parents sold their very well maintained Honda Accord.
It was for a young girl...dad bought it for her. A week or two later the guy calls and says the radiator had "exploded" and leaking...lmao! He wanted a refund $6gs or for us to pay the repair bill of like $800. We told him to go fuck himself...NO WARRANTY MF!!!
Last we heard of him.....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info