Solar eclipse 2017 (8/21/17)

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Exactly why I think going to the bigger towns in the path would be a mistake.

Anything in the path would work

Yeah, even Makanda is shaping up to be a shit show though; They're saying 60Kish there if memory serves right. My advice is bring food and water like a UN relief aid run, have a Square and make bank.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
So, I'm still trying to decide where I want to watch this, looking for the unfucked locations. Any ideas?

Apparently the Land Between the Lakes is going to be directly in the path. But that road will be no fun as it probably will be filled with people, so no play time with the cars there.

Total Solar Eclipse 2017 - Maps of the Path

"The Land Between the Lakes in Kentucky will be perfect, weather permitting!"

MrDragster1970

TCG Elite Member
Dec 18, 2011
RT 66 area

Can't find a level 14 shade any where local so far,
and the online guys are either out of stock or coming from over seas and can't guarantee delivery???

Anyone know of a place still selling level 14 filters, like the 4x5 welding shields or whatever???

I heard some guy claim you can stack a level 10 & a level 5, does anyone know if that's true????

zenriddles

Guns don't kill people, 'vaccines' do
Aug 18, 2005
Holiday Inn

Can't find a level 14 shade any where local so far,
and the online guys are either out of stock or coming from over seas and can't guarantee delivery???

Anyone know of a place still selling level 14 filters, like the 4x5 welding shields or whatever???

I heard some guy claim you can stack a level 10 & a level 5, does anyone know if that's true????

Yes. Stacking the filters is cumulative.

UV is my profession. Not letting it blind people is job one. My average 40" bulb burns at well over 20,000 watts with a surface temperature near 1000'C = much brighter than sunshine and we deal with it like that every day.

The problem with weldors' burn (That is what most in the UV profession call it) is that you DON'T feel it when you do it. 4 hrs later your eyes are scratchy, then you go to bed and your eyes get crusty when you are asleep. Tomorrow will be most unpleasant and then things pretty much go back to normal.

UV light is actually really fragile. Doesn't take much to mess it up. Even clear plexiglass will filter over 50% of UV hitting it.

The whole CD or floppy disc viewing is a bad idea due to material variations. Just put on a welding helmet and stare all day if it floats your boat.

pbdevastator

Regular
Aug 3, 2010
Yes. Stacking the filters is cumulative.

UV is my profession. Not letting it blind people is job one. My average 40" bulb burns at well over 20,000 watts with a surface temperature near 1000'C = much brighter than sunshine and we deal with it like that every day.

The problem with weldors' burn (That is what most in the UV profession call it) is that you DON'T feel it when you do it. 4 hrs later your eyes are scratchy, then you go to bed and your eyes get crusty when you are asleep. Tomorrow will be most unpleasant and then things pretty much go back to normal.

UV light is actually really fragile. Doesn't take much to mess it up. Even clear plexiglass will filter over 50% of UV hitting it.

The whole CD or floppy disc viewing is a bad idea due to material variations. Just put on a welding helmet and stare all day if it floats your boat.

My dad got rated 5 welding glasses/goggles and has rated 10 filters. So combining that really is ok huh?

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Cloudy and DARK. :)

Yeah, more an more I've given up on seeing the total eclipse.

I wish I had remembered about 12 months ago to book a hotel room or something.

Then I just would have made a full mini-vacation out of it. Stocked my hotel room up like a FEMA store-room, and watched it, then waited an extra day for everyone to leave.

MrDragster1970

TCG Elite Member
Dec 18, 2011
RT 66 area
Right now it's either Nebraska or Southern Illinois.
I don't want to start driving after 3pm Sunday 10 hours to Nebraska and then drive straight home and go to work.
Sounds like EVERYONE is going to Southern Il. I wonder if there will be traffic jams in the middle of the night

We are hitting Carbondale, I didn't get the room, so not sure if we can stay.
The guy driving has to work Tuesday, so I have a feeling we'll be stuck in the traffic all evening no matter how horrible the highway is??

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info