Solar eclipse 2017 (8/21/17)

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
I finally got around to eding my pictures. What a weekend!
We left Sunday night, after I worked all morning and then did a volunteer raptor education program.. didn't get to leave until about 5pm. We chose to go to Tennessee because our original plan to go to Nebraska, there were supposed to be clouds. On the way down, we saw a Semi being chased by 10 police cars. I quickly turned on my police scanner app and a Women was doing a fb live and claimed to be kidnapped at gunpoint and was in a truck full of explosives. The truck crashed literally 2 minutes after we passed it going the opposite way. They closed the entire highway down. Later, we found out the kidnapping was a total hoax by the lady driving the truck. The whole chase and crash really happened.
When we finally got close to our destination, we went to a rest stop to use the bathroom. Every single spot was taken and people were sleeping in their cars. A cop had set up temporary parking for people who only needed to use the bathroom. We continued into a small town and slept for about 2 hours in a post office parking lot .
When it was lighter out we decided to look for a good spot. Most of the roads were very narrow making it hard to find a safe place to pull off. We went back into town. The only thing really there was a gas station. They were super busy. There was a baseball field down the street where they had set up an Eclipse viewing event. $20 per car. We we're going to settle there, but I decided to keep my options open. We turned on some farm road and I saw a sign that said Yates Cave. I wanted to check it out. We went there and some hillbilly looking people came flying out of the driveway. This was someone's farm so we were like maybe we shouldn't be here. After I turned around to exit, a sweet country girl drove up and asked if we needed help. She invited us in, showed us around and said they were having a viewing event for the eclipse.
It was great because there was nobody else there, great foreground and had bathrooms available. They hold weddings there sometimes and have a huge kitchen. They fed us checked and hot dogs while we sat on the patio in front of the waterfall.
Just as the eclipse was about to happen, small patches of clouds started rolling in. They cleared and then right before totality, 1 little cloud appeared over the sun. We started freaking out, but it quickly left. We ended up getting all of the pictures we wanted and video of the "snake bands" that people report. We were invited to stay for dinner but we knew traffic was bad. Just as we thought, absolute gridlock on the highway. My GPS kept rerouting, bit even all the side streets were packed all the way up the highway. I kept watching my GPS add hour upon hour of delays. I was worried I wouldn't be back in time for work. We ended up back home around 3am, napped and went right to work. All in all it was worth it
In this picture you can see sunspots. If they erupt, they can cause solar flares and northern lights. My wife caught an eruption.

Here is the first phase until eclipse

Place we hung out at

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info