#QOTD-Name a car everyone thinks is fast, but it isn't

2QuikTA

Addict
May 30, 2011
I'm not sure of Ford's strategy as they seem to be behind GM for the past 2 decades from the factory, but the aftermarket is the great equalizer. The aftermarket for the Mustang is much larger than GM's.

Maybe the new stuff. The LS aftermarket is huge. If the aftermarket for the ford motors was so plentiful, you'd see people swapping them into everything they can like the LS motors.

Kaeghl

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 18, 2008
Aurora, IL
mitsu 3000gt
honda s2000
350z/g35

that new hyundai genesis that every douchebag kid has around here. Yes Junior, I get it, you have hood vents, that doesnt mean you can run with my 500 something car, yes kid that was a ricer flyby after I let off at 120 with 47 car lengths on you.

mercedes amg line. Not saying that they are slow but for the horsepower numbers they put out those things are just freaking pigs.

Kaeghl

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 18, 2008
Aurora, IL
Maybe the new stuff. The LS aftermarket is huge. If the aftermarket for the ford motors was so plentiful, you'd see people swapping them into everything they can like the LS motors.

yeah I was kinda looking at this cockeyed, the LS aftermarket is just staggeringly huge for the LS. That engine is well and truly figured out and you can go pretty much as fast as you have money for.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Partly sarcasm on the last few (prius', camry's, etc.)

But, yeah, Tesla's, Fox body mustangs, 2V's, etc.

People think they're "fast" but they're not fast IMO.

i mean. i don't think most people (non-car people) know tesla's can be pretty quick... and a good chunk of them are quite quick.

and past that... raptor's really aren't all that quick. plenty of other pickups dead nuts with 6.2 raptors and quicker than the 5.4 trucks. sure the new ecoboost 10 speeds are different but not many of them out there yet.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
i mean. i don't think most people (non-car people) know tesla's can be pretty quick... and a good chunk of them are quite quick.

and past that... raptor's really aren't all that quick. plenty of other pickups dead nuts with 6.2 raptors and quicker than the 5.4 trucks. sure the new ecoboost 10 speeds are different but not many of them out there yet.

That's true about the pick-up's.

I think people that buy Tesla's know about them and as soon as they buy them, most have this feel of invincibility like they are driving the fastest thing on the road. Impression I get from most Tesla owners.

I tend to think for such a large and heavy truck, the Raptor's are pretty quick. 0-60 in low 5's, low 14's / high 13's at a track, 6,000+ LBS. Not bad.

Kaeghl

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 18, 2008
Aurora, IL

I think people that buy Tesla's know about them and as soon as they buy them, most have this feel of invincibility like they are driving the fastest thing on the road. Impression I get from most Tesla owners.

I tend to think for such a large and heavy truck, the Raptor's are pretty quick. 0-60 in low 5's, low 14's / high 13's at a track, 6,000+ LBS. Not bad.

i actually thought the teslas were fast??? I saw all this "insanity mode" everything and them outpacing hellcats. so are they not fast?

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

i didn't think stock 6.2 raptors were running low 14's or quicker. most reviews i read said low 15's for 6.2 raptors.

but 6.2 gm's crew cabs do run low 14's high 13's, 5.3 8-speed gm's do that, 8 speed hemi pickups do that, ecoboosts do that, etc etc.

shit. a bunch of HD diesel trucks are 6 second-ish 0-60 trucks. :dunno:

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
i actually thought the teslas were fast??? I saw all this "insanity mode" everything and them outpacing hellcats. so are they not fast?

I'd say they are quick. Those cars are great 0-60 / 0-100, but, fall flat on their asses after that.

Also, the standard models, which are 0-60 in 5's or more, people may tend to think they are "fast" too.

Suffice to say I ran into a few, or like 8 cocky Tesla owners when I had my 5.0.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
i didn't think stock 6.2 raptors were running low 14's or quicker. most reviews i read said low 15's for 6.2 raptors.

but 6.2 gm's crew cabs do run low 14's high 13's, 5.3 8-speed gm's do that, 8 speed hemi pickups do that, ecoboosts do that, etc etc.

shit. a bunch of HD diesel trucks are 6 second-ish 0-60 trucks. :dunno:

Yes, just checked on the Raptor's and they are fairly quick. I'm sure the new 2017's will be even faster.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
I'm not sure of Ford's strategy as they seem to be behind GM for the past 2 decades from the factory, but the aftermarket is the great equalizer. The aftermarket for the Mustang is much larger than GM's.

I don't agree, what can you do to an n/a 4.6 to make it fast? Aside from putting a blower on it (which has limited potential because many of the engines have weak bottom ends) there's not really any way to make an na 2v/3v/non-coyote 4v 4.6 quick. The coyote engines are different, those gain decent power with bolt ons and a tune.

an LS engine on the other hand gains 80+whp with nothing but a cam, exhaust, and tune. And they're easy to work on, unlike mod motors

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
i think we can chalk 5.4/6.2 raptors up into the people think they're fast but isn't column :rofl:

i mean shit. pickuptrucks.com ran a 6.2 raptor at 15.86... :rofl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HncW6Fs6dEY

another guy

2) Swoop1156 - 15.319
Engine - 6.2 stock
60 ft time -2.296
1/8 mile - 9.894
1/4 mile - 15.319
Trap speed - 91.43

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info