I know my junk is slow

cancer.png

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Fox Body Mustangs.

I'm a HUGE Ford guy... and even more specifically a huge 5.0 Ford guy (Both the SBF and Coyote).

And I will be the FIRST to say; SBF's are Boat-Anchors stock compared to anything nowadays.
This is so true. My 86 is a complete turd compared to my 3v (which apparently people think is fast)

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
This is so true. My 86 is a complete turd compared to my 3v (which apparently people think is fast)

My old 3v convertible ran a 13.8 bone stock, which at the time I was quite content with, Especially considering it took 5lbs of boost from a roots blower for my SBF powered Ranger to crack a 13.8....

My Hardtop Coyote ran 12.8 bone stock, and a 12.5 with the FRPP power pack, which I was thrilled about.

I'm curious how my convertible will fair next weekend, I'd be happy with a clean 12.9 pass.....

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Classic musclecars (stock) easily ran 14's. Fast ones were in the 13's. We never thought 15/16's were fast. If you think musclecars ran 16s, then you don't know what muslcecars are. And those times were run on skinny bias-ply tires with zero traction.

PS - the same old guys are now buying all the new Dodge Challengers.

Yet when they show up to the track in their 350 powered Chevelle they can barely hit 15s. Every time I see the old fart club at the track the cars run absolutely embarrassing times. I don't really care what one example of one car could run on a good day with the right driver, I care about what the majority of them run on an average day with an average driver, and from what I've seen they are all crawling.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
GM GenIII and up Small block V8. It's K.I.S.S., it's flexible in application uses, it's easy to work on, it's easy to modify, and then the aformentioned aftermarket. It makes excellent power, excellent in terms of fuel efficiency (for the power), and pretty reliable.

It's the swiss army knife that the original Chevy small block was.

I think I'm going to add virtually anything with a small block chevy to the list with a few exceptions. Everyone thinks that it's this super great engine from the factory, but in general it's just average; The aftermarket is the real difference.

Yet when they show up to the track in their 350 powered Chevelle they can barely hit 15s. Every time I see the old fart club at the track the cars run absolutely embarrassing times. I don't really care what one example of one car could run on a good day with the right driver, I care about what the majority of them run on an average day with an average driver, and from what I've seen they are all crawling.

I'll say this about it, I don't know if those cars are stock enough any more to even consider them a valid indicator of what they ran at the time. Some guy could have taken a wasted small chamber headed 350 out and stuck in a targetmaster crate engine and a rando JY carb. Jesus that sounds like something I'd build. Any more chances are you're dealing with a worn out original engine or you're dealing with something that's been heavily modified or just flat out replaced.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Depends on the generation of Small Block. I'd argue anything GenIII+ is pretty good from the factory.

Talking gen 1s. LSX groups its own way. Even a mundane 4.8L makes as much if not more power than virtually any gen 1 if you take gross vs net into account.

ED:I would actually be tempted to do this to my Pontiac; If I "built" the 350 I would probably still be slower than a 5.3L with an intake and an exhaust, get worse MPG etc.

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego

Well, there you go. A 350 Chevelle is not a musclecar. Not all old cars are musclecars. You could get a 1970 Barracuda with a Hemi or a slant six. One's not a musclecar.

I race with the old fart Buick club. We've got some 15 second cars and some 9 second cars. Some guys are just there to have fun. I'd rather see a slow car going down the track than a 'fast' parked at a cruise night afraid to get dirty. :)

CuzzinOlaf

TCG Elite Member
May 16, 2014
Spring Grove
Grand Nationals or Turbo Buicks aren't fast by today's standards. My GN definitely moves out (isn't stock, runs in the 10s) but there are a lot of guys happy to get into the 12's which is pretty common today. I get older Muscle cars get the respect because of what they are and were, but most are slow. Hell, look at older Ferraris and supercars, most aren't fast at all by today's standards.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Talking gen 1s. LSX groups its own way. Even a mundane 4.8L makes as much if not more power than virtually any gen 1 if you take gross vs net into account.

ED:I would actually be tempted to do this to my Pontiac; If I "built" the 350 I would probably still be slower than a 5.3L with an intake and an exhaust, get worse MPG etc.

Agree, but then we get back into the topic of stepping back in the way back machine and pitting it against other options in it's time frame.

Well, there you go. A 350 Chevelle is not a musclecar. Not all old cars are musclecars. You could get a 1970 Barracuda with a Hemi or a slant six. One's not a musclecar.

I race with the old fart Buick club. We've got some 15 second cars and some 9 second cars. Some guys are just there to have fun. I'd rather see a slow car going down the track than a 'fast' parked at a cruise night afraid to get dirty. :)

I was going to post something like this, but didn't want to risk getting blasted. Unless it's a purpose built 350 that some guy/gal did a lot of work on, base Chevelle's (really Malibu's) of the day and their 350's weren't really "muscle cars" by most standards. It was just purely a solid, reliable, efficient V8. It wasn't until you got to 396's or more that they did.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Agree, but then we get back into the topic of stepping back in the way back machine and pitting it against other options in it's time frame.

I was going to post something like this, but didn't want to risk getting blasted. Unless it's a purpose built 350 that some guy/gal did a lot of work on, base Chevelle's (really Malibu's) of the day and their 350's weren't really "muscle cars" by most standards. It was just purely a solid, reliable, efficient V8. It wasn't until you got to 396's or more that they did.
I would also say the lt1 cars too.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012

E6 heads were considered junk of the junk too which didn't help stuff much.

I'll add ZQ8/"Extreme" S10s to the list. I don't recall a 4.3L being that Extreme. If you wanna go way far back the Sonoma GT. (Syclone body kit, but no turbo magic.)

I'll also add the Celica to the list, talk about a car that tries way too hard for what it is.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info